Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are people with PR allowed to sponsor others ?

Are people with PR allowed to sponsor others ?

Old Mar 18th 2003, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are people with PR allowed to sponsor others ?

Title says it all really.
Thanks.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 12:21 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people with PR allowed to sponsor others ?

For what type of visa?

As a rule you can't sponsor a relative straightaway.

Best regards.

Originally posted by onlyme
Title says it all really.
Thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

A working visa of some sort ?? or PR ??
Old Mar 20th 2003, 5:49 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by onlyme
A working visa of some sort ?? or PR ??
Only me - try these taken off the gov site:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/skill_sponsor.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/family.htm

I think you can sponsor after you've held PR for two years - that's what I was lead to believe ( Alan?)

I know you can sponsor a relative like a parent who has retired etc, it seems you can sponsor a relative for skilled migration too, like a brother or cousin etc.

I'm interested in this too for my family matters ( a relative wants a job out here )

cheers

P.S -just checked the down loadable forms (form 40) for this - yes it does seem that to be a sponsor - you need to have been in Australia for a reasonable period of time (PR holders)- two years it says.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 20th 2003 at 5:58 am.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 7:14 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Sponsorship in the context of the family sponsored skilled visas requires the sponsor to be a family member who is living in Australia as an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible NZ citizen. Where the application is for a 139-Skilled Designated Area Sponsored visa the sponsor must also have lived in a Designated Area for at least 12 months.

Sponsorship by an individual is also relevant under several of the family visas - eg Parent visas, Spouse Visas, etc. The sponsor need not be living in Australia in the case of a Spouse visa application, but for certain visas (eg Parent, Remaining Relative) the sponsor has to be "settled" in Australia. The DIMIA usually interprets "settled" as meaning having lived in Australia for at least the last 2 years as a permanent resident, citizen, or eligible NZ citizen.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Ceri
Only me - try these taken off the gov site:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/skill_sponsor.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/family.htm

I think you can sponsor after you've held PR for two years - that's what I was lead to believe ( Alan?)

I know you can sponsor a relative like a parent who has retired etc, it seems you can sponsor a relative for skilled migration too, like a brother or cousin etc.

I'm interested in this too for my family matters ( a relative wants a job out here )

cheers

P.S -just checked the down loadable forms (form 40) for this - yes it does seem that to be a sponsor - you need to have been in Australia for a reasonable period of time (PR holders)- two years it says.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

So does this mean I can sponsor my brother to live and work in Australia ? He is not skilled and he doesn't have large sums of money and I have other brothers in the UK, so he's not the last remaining relative. Does this also mean that if I sponsor him for long enough, he will be eligible for PR ? Does this mean he can do any job he likes over here, while I am sponsoring him ?
How does it work ?
Thanks.

Last edited by onlyme; Jun 19th 2003 at 4:29 am.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

just putting this to the top of the queue
Old Jun 19th 2003, 8:45 am
Badge

I get the impression that although the points system does not apply to your sponsored relative - (in the case of Designated area) they still need to be skilled and meet the basic requirements of recent work experience. The booklet hints that the experience needed may well be lower though.

badgers