Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People living in Thornlands/Cleveland (Brisbane)

People living in Thornlands/Cleveland (Brisbane)

Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:11 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Question People living in Thornlands/Cleveland (Brisbane)

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice please...???

We are thinking of moving out to Thornlands (we currently live nearer to the city) .... and would appreciate opinions/comments on:

Travel to the city centre - driving v train and how early could would you have to leave home in a morning to avoid the rushhour...?

and

childcare - can anyone recommend good quality childcare for a 9 month old in the area?

Any other comments/views on the area also gratefully received!

Thanks!!!

Carole
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:22 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People living in Thornlands/Cleveland (Brisbane)

Train.. I think if you want a space in cleveland you have to get there around 7 and catch the 7.10 which gets you to central station at 8.07, or express 7.28->8.18. The trains are ok, but there's a fair gap between them.

The other option is one of the bus routes.

You can take a bus from victoria point, cleveland etc but the services are fairly limited.

Or you can drive to garden city , or eight mile plains on the busway. The bus go every 5 mins and take 21 mins to queen street

The drive from thornlands can take 25 mins to 50 mins if the traffic is bad, but I've got a route that takes 25 now.

http://www.translink.com.au/ will give you various bus and train options

Not tried driving in the week. Some people will drive to manly/morningside etc to get the train closer.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Hi there ... I picked up a contract in the CBD about 2 months ago - I get the train in from Cleveland which I have to say is, contrary to what you read in MX, punctual, clean and reasonably comfortable ... there are a couple of "express" trains eg the 6.31 gets you to the city about 7.20, other than that its just under the hour ... a monthly season is $147 I used to pay the equivalent of that for a weekly when I was commuting into London several years ago!

I've had to drive in a couple of times and it's taken 45/50 minutes going right up the Old Cleveland Road and over the Storey Bridge .. that's been leaving about 6.45 ... never tried the bus.

Anyway Cleveland is great ... loads to do round Raby Bay and some real social people ... enjoy

David
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:14 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Wello point to CBD....15 minutes......secret weapon
Attached Thumbnails People living in Thornlands/Cleveland (Brisbane)-pa060126.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice

There are lots of childcare centres in and around Cleveland. I can personally recommend 'Bay House' on Queen St. My daughter has been going there since 6 months and they are so fantastic and professional there. Of course, there's normally a wait list for the younger one's places - I think anywhere good would be the same. Friends of mine use Ormiston daycare and they are happy there. Also, a bit further out but Mary St. at Birkdale seem's to have places and I have friends who are happy there - I thought it needed a bit of a face lift when I had a look around there though. Still, you won't have a problem finding somewhere good.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Lindy Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to agree with muffinoz, I get the train every morning from Cleveland. I get either the 6.31 or 6.54 train and find them very punctual. The 6.54 gets pretty full by the time you get to Morningside, but as you get on the train at the first stop, no problem getting a seat. Coming back is a different story!! I normally get on at South Brisbane on either the 4.54 or 4.56 express. One of these is often cancelled and instead of the limited stop express, it becomes an 'All Stations' Cleveland and I often don't get a seat for a few stops. However, saying all of that, if the 4.54 express is running, you get back to Cleveland at 5.35 and even an all stations gets in before 6. As someone who drove everywhere in the uk, its very pleasant sitting on the train reading a book or paper instead of sitting waiting for the traffic in front moving!!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else said, the train from Cleveland in the morning gets pretty full, but the benefit of living this end is that you get a seat. I have always found the train to be punctual but if I do drive in, as long as I leave before 7am, there is no hold up usually (old cleveland road way in). I certainly do not find it a bind having to travel in to the city. This area is such a lovely place to live.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:53 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Train.. I think if you want a space in cleveland you have to get there around 7 and catch the 7.10 which gets you to central station at 8.07, or express 7.28->8.18.
I meant car park space at station itself rather than space on train

Last edited by datamile; Nov 25th 2007 at 9:56 am.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:45 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cagandchris
Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice please...???

We are thinking of moving out to Thornlands (we currently live nearer to the city) .... and would appreciate opinions/comments on:

Travel to the city centre - driving v train and how early could would you have to leave home in a morning to avoid the rushhour...?

and

childcare - can anyone recommend good quality childcare for a 9 month old in the area?

Any other comments/views on the area also gratefully received!

Thanks!!!

Carole
I hear the Mudcake is better in Thornlands than Vici Pts Fasta Pasta!!!!!
D.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
Loving life in Brissie

Originally Posted by leannefr
I hear the Mudcake is better in Thornlands than Vici Pts Fasta Pasta!!!!!
D.
LOL!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:13 pm
Loving life in Brissie

Thanks everyone for your advice.....I think I WILL put an offer in on that house now!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

The drive from thornlands can take 25 mins to 50 mins if the traffic is bad, but I've got a route that takes 25 now.
Please please tell all ! 25 minutes! Do you take the busway in your car????
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:28 pm
DownUnder

Drive to the busway... about 25-50 mins.. then 25 mins on the bus to queen street. Normally 5 min wait for the bus.

Its a busway... only buses, and separate, so no cars parking in it like the UK.

cagandchris - where in thornlands, so people can advise of any bad/good things
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:20 am
Loving life in Brissie

off Thornlands Rd - the new estates are where we are thinking about ....
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:10 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Drive to the busway... about 25-50 mins.. then 25 mins on the bus to queen street. Normally 5 min wait for the bus.

Its a busway... only buses, and separate, so no cars parking in it like the UK.

cagandchris - where in thornlands, so people can advise of any bad/good things
So in total your trip is closer to an hour right?

We're in Capalaba and my husband gets the bus down the street right to the city. His bus gets there in about 35 minutes. If he were to board the bus in Thornlands instead it would add about 10-15 minutes to the trip.

So you could take a bus from Thornlands to the city in about 45-50 minutes. Can't see how you can make your trip any faster unless you have a motorbike like someone mentioned.

My husbands sticking with the bus most times because he can get there faster than if he were to drive to the train station and catch a train. If he's coming home for work earlier though he'll catch the train because it leaves at a good time. So it just depends on what times of the day.