Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

people just dont understand

people just dont understand

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default people just dont understand

Im not sure if it is just us, but people just dont understand our desire to move to australia. I even had one person today saying they think we will chicken out at the last minute.

get used to it, the ball is rolling, the visa is coming, we are going to live in australia next year.

does anyone else get that, whatever, feeling off family and friends? Do you get the feeling that they think your dreaming? Do they think that you not serious?

I tell you they are all in for a f***in shock, come next year Im outta here!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:11 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: people just dont understand

Hi there

no one saying they don't believe us, but we have had loads of people telling us how brave we are. what the hell is that all about ?
Also had about 20/30 ( not exagerating ) telling us they had the chance to be £10 poms, but all decided not to go after all ! That really rubs me up the wrong way.

Carole

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Im not sure if it is just us, but people just dont understand our desire to move to australia. I even had one person today saying they think we will chicken out at the last minute.

get used to it, the ball is rolling, the visa is coming, we are going to live in australia next year.

does anyone else get that, whatever, feeling off family and friends? Do you get the feeling that they think your dreaming? Do they think that you not serious?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Before we came last year, it was the other way around - most people said they wished they were going.........

Since then 3 or 4 acquaintances from UK have e-mailed to ask for advice and stuff about coming over themselves.

Muzzman
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:28 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we had exactly the same. You think they'll change their view when the for-sale sign goes up.... then when you hear you've had meds... and you're telling them you are a few mths away... then you've sold the house... resigned from work... sold your car.... but noooo.

even after we'd moved into temp accomodation in UK not until the flights were booked (5 days before we left) people were still saying you wont go etc. Idiots.

The ones to listen to are the ones saying how brave you are because they are the nice people the others are in a different category ;-)

When you get here by the way its different - all the reactions we've had from Aussies has been more than welcoming and on the "how brave you must be" - not sure here if brave means stupid but hey-ho ;-)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:41 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

at the time i had mixed reactions from a lot of people. i got the 'brave'ers and the 'you wont go'ers, and the 'i'm not interested at all'ers. It all changes when you've resigned from work, sold you house and car, bags are packed and you're stood at the airport about to walk through the gate... THEN they realise you're going to australia!!

Only trouble is then though, they also expect you to crash and burn, coming home on the next flight.

One of my bosses practically accused me of bullshitting him when i told them i would be applying for my visa. When i gave my other boss (the other partner) the details of what i needed for my skills to be assesed he couldn't believe it. Even as i was only 2 weeks away from leaving i heard him tell one of the other studio members i wouldn't go.

it's people like him that really pushed me forward and i got to the point where it helped me keep going, especially in the first 4 months.

keep focused, ignore the simpletons and accept the rest - you'll be here before you know it. (then the fun really begins!)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We had to keep everything hush, hush for months.

Couldn't tell anyone other than parents and very close family until I resigned and flew out as soon as completing the 1 month notice period.

People are still saying to family "oh, I heard they were off but didn't believe it. Are they staying then ?".

We had hardly travelled outside of Cornwall and I worked for the same company for 34 years so it was rather a shock when we left. I was the last person my company expected to leave which is probably why they shite on me for so many years.

From day one our move was a difficult one. Lots of hurdles to jump and we are in truth still jumping them now here.

Yet for all that, we are enjoying life more than we have for many a year. Hope it lasts for us.

If I had to give just one piece of advice to anyone coming it would be "don't expect".

We purposely did not allow ourselves to expect too much and decided the best approach would be one of acceptance. To accept what we found; the good and bad.

We are still learning and in fact have found this place to be very much to our liking. I hope your destination is too
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:40 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
We had to keep everything hush, hush for months.

Couldn't tell anyone other than parents and very close family until I resigned and flew out as soon as completing the 1 month notice period.

People are still saying to family "oh, I heard they were off but didn't believe it. Are they staying then ?".

We had hardly travelled outside of Cornwall and I worked for the same company for 34 years so it was rather a shock when we left. I was the last person my company expected to leave which is probably why they shite on me for so many years.

From day one our move was a difficult one. Lots of hurdles to jump and we are in truth still jumping them now here.

Yet for all that, we are enjoying life more than we have for many a year. Hope it lasts for us.

If I had to give just one piece of advice to anyone coming it would be "don't expect".

We purposely did not allow ourselves to expect too much and decided the best approach would be one of acceptance. To accept what we found; the good and bad.

We are still learning and in fact have found this place to be very much to our liking. I hope your destination is too
eh up fellah. i couldn't agree with that more!! i keep finding little things which amaze me about this place, some good some not, but it's still interesting just being in another country.

i'm glad it's all going in the right direction for you.

all the best!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:38 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by manxfamily

Hi Manxfamily, yup we've had the same problem. Some people (even close friends and family) have been very negative. The keep saying how backward Oz is, the heat will kill us etc etc. I don't know if there is an element of jealousy or not but I actually think it's really rude and selfish to say such negative things. Even if they think it they could still try and be a bit more encouraging and supportive - after all, I'm sure it wont take them long to have a freebie holiday My friend came to visit the other day and I was chatting about having a clear out and she said 'so is Australia still on then????' Well, it's all I've been thinking about for the past 2 years and we have sold our house Did she really think we were just going to say 'oh well, lets forget it!'
I've learned now to just let it all float over me but I agree, I think when we actually go people will be in for a shock
Carolyn
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:15 am
ad4ozz

Default Try to look on the positive side.

On a positive note it's because these people will miss you they are being so negative. I've had exactley the same problem.

Even my brother who has just left his wife of 20 years couldn't understand it. Informed him as I'm quite happy with my husband I'm off to Oz instead for my mid life crisis.

People come round and I'm sure the ones who really count will be banging on the door for that free holiday soon.

But don't you just feel like sneaking off one day without telling anyone it will be saying goodbye to all the twisters that will be gutting... .

Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

We're getting the same reaction from my folks. My parents are even refusing to tell any of their friends, and when I ask why they say 'we're not telling anyone until you actually go'..........as if they don't expect us to go at all. But flights are booked for October, notices have been handed in.........and we're totally shitting ourselves !!!!!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:59 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judes2308
We're getting the same reaction from my folks. My parents are even refusing to tell any of their friends, and when I ask why they say 'we're not telling anyone until you actually go'..........as if they don't expect us to go at all. But flights are booked for October, notices have been handed in.........and we're totally shitting ourselves !!!!!!!!

The truth hurts when it actually ahppens. Maybe these people are in denial...
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yep we had people say to us "you 'll be back etc etc" and also "wow your so brave" Different emotions from different people. We just always said yep we are off to give it a go, if we like it we like it if we dont we dont. But we know there are people just waiting for us to return and then they can say "we told you so" Yes we know who you are but we wont be returning as we love it here and luckily things have worked for us.
So just take what people say with a pinch of salt, but do also remember its not for everyone here, and some do return home, then you will get the "I told you so"
Joanne
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

sudds is on a distinguished road

great thread .......was thinking that it was only us that was being BLANKED.
Mam came for tea yesterday and said "dont think im ignoring what your doing but everytime i talk about it i get upset".....think that sums up the attitude of close family.
Mates and work collegues are indifferent even dismissive. The ones who show an avid interst i think are either going to have a go themselves or realise that whilst they realise you are going, they also realise that they would like to but either oppertunity is too late or they know there own limitations and are exited for you and mad at themselves in the same instant of asking or talking about it.
We as a family have enough to contend with organising the impending visa and house sale, business sale etc. Just think that some people need to try and rubbish anyone elses dreams ......I have had lots of life changes (although this is the biggest) and there are those who always a phropets of doom.
Just mix with positives and stand away from negatives ......always works well a couple of hours in the company of a positive is like life giving medicine!
Sudds
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi Manxfamily, yup we've had the same problem. Some people (even close friends and family) have been very negative. The keep saying how backward Oz is, the heat will kill us etc etc.
Everyone has been really positive (except my mother) and most people say "oh I wish I could" or "We thought about it"..... When we told my mother, her first comment was don't be stupid, why would you do that, they don't speak English and they call all the women Sheila" She told her friend who say "you can't let her go, all the men beat their wives" WTF is that all about.

The mother is fine now and talking about the Gold Beach every time I see her
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:25 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: people just dont understand

When I told my best mate of 15 years that we were making the application her reply really surprised me 'I cant believe you'd be so selfish' she said, when I asked what on earth she meant she said how her aunt and uncle and nan/grandad went out to oz when she was about 8 and how she grew up without 'any' family around her and she knows what my kids will be feeling and missing out on when I take them away from all thier family!! F*** me that hurt! I am still having trouble coming to terms with that fact myself, my kids are 8+9 and see quite a bit of thier nans aunties uncles cousins etc and it is a huge regret that we are taking them away from the family but I didnt wanna hear that from anyone in such a graphic way,it has kind of taken the shine of everything cos I cant seem to escape those comments from her I just keep telling myself its gonna be alright-especially as it looks like we'll be off soon subject to house going thru ok.
P.S. I couldnt bring myself to tell her at xmas when we got our visa-I couldnt face anymore comments from her...oh yeah-her family stayed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.