Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For IT people heading for Brisbane

For IT people heading for Brisbane

Old Mar 12th 2004, 4:41 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default For IT people heading for Brisbane

Some of you may know that Jim was supposed to be bringing his job with him, starting at the beginning of February working from home.

Well, after various delays in the UK, the contract is still not signed so this week Jim starting applying for jobs here. He had an interview this afternoon and starts work Monday!

Things definitely seem to be picking up here. More jobs are becoming available. Its a contract role, but there are also permanent roles about. He contracted in the UK so thats what he would prefer anyway.

Jane
Old Mar 12th 2004, 4:55 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: For IT people heading for Brisbane

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Some of you may know that Jim was supposed to be bringing his job with him, starting at the beginning of February working from home.

Well, after various delays in the UK, the contract is still not signed so this week Jim starting applying for jobs here. He had an interview this afternoon and starts work Monday!

Things definitely seem to be picking up here. More jobs are becoming available. Its a contract role, but there are also permanent roles about. He contracted in the UK so thats what he would prefer anyway.

Jane
Nice one. Good luck to Jim in his new job. Good to hear the I.T. jobs market is good in Brisbane. I'll be looking for an I.T. job in Brisbane myself when my visa's granted. Thats not likely to be for around a year yet though.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:00 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by elksa
Nice one. Good luck to Jim in his new job. Good to hear the I.T. jobs market is good in Brisbane. I'll be looking for an I.T. job in Brisbane myself when my visa's granted. Thats not likely to be for around a year yet though.
You might be surprised! Our visa came through in 6 months.

Jane
p.s. hope you find a cure for your toothache!
Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:02 am
ABCDiamond

Jane
Glad to hear he has found something, its a pity the orignal contract hasn't materialised, but it must be a good feeling to get something on his own.

Williem also got his job soon after arriving here, and without too much trouble, so it seems like Jobs are not too difficult to come by. I'd better keep quiet about that in this house, otherwise my wife will be after me to get one !!!

Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:13 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

You might be surprised! Our visa came through in 6 months.

Jane
p.s. hope you find a cure for your toothache!
Thanks for the thought. Banging my head against a brickseems to be distracting me from my tooth ache.

Andy
p.s. that's a scary though!! it might take as long for me to get rid of my tooth ache as it does for my visa application to be accessed. Wonder why we want out.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:06 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly does he do in IT Jane, its a pretty big category . As I keep saying, if you are good at something that will always be recognised & more opportunities will be open to you because of it. Also, the job front is always quiet over xmas here in Brisbane & for about 6 weeks afterwards, this year it seemed to be a bit longer, but glad it seems to have picked up.

Congratulations to Jim .
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:34 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
What exactly does he do in IT Jane, its a pretty big category . As I keep saying, if you are good at something that will always be recognised & more opportunities will be open to you because of it. Also, the job front is always quiet over xmas here in Brisbane & for about 6 weeks afterwards, this year it seemed to be a bit longer, but glad it seems to have picked up.

Congratulations to Jim .
Hi Mrs Dagboy,

He's an analyst programmer in Java/J2EE/Oracle/UNIX etc. He's been doing it for the last 14 years and he is good at his job.

Gets him out of the house as well!

Jane
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs Dagboy,

He's an analyst programmer in Java/J2EE/Oracle/UNIX etc. He's been doing it for the last 14 years and he is good at his job.

Gets him out of the house as well!

Jane
Jane & the added bonus is he brings home money every week as well
Old Mar 12th 2004, 6:38 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Jane & the added bonus is he brings home money every week as well
I knew there must be some reason for bringing him out here!

Jane
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

oberon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Congrats and can jenni ask Jim about Job prospects of a "Website developer" in Brisbane? . I will be flying on 20th to brisbane .Any comment/suggestion from her/him will be of great help(Specially where to apply and name of any recruitment Consultant etc)
Regards,
oberon
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:57 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by oberon
Hi,
Congrats and can jenni ask Jim about Job prospects of a "Website developer" in Brisbane? . I will be flying on 20th to brisbane .Any comment/suggestion from her/him will be of great help(Specially where to apply and name of any recruitment Consultant etc)
Regards,
oberon
Don't know who Jenni is, but try www.seek.com.au

Also do a search on this forum. This subject has come up lots of times before.

Jane