Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
houses in oz are the most overpriced in the world ,especially in perth........be realistic.......a crash is coming !! debt is not wealth.
Debt is not wealth? Why not try something equally meaningless - such as tea is not coffee. Or screwdrivers are not hammers.

oz is perhaps 12-18 months behind the rest of the world and the housing market is being kept artificially high with the FHOG.
They phasing the first-home owners grant out then? And only 12-18 months - I thought it was nearer five to 10 minutes.

tbh.....people must be mad to buy right now.........imagine having a 400k home loan with the prospect of losing your job in the near future or the threat of negative equity
What's the issue with negative equity? If you're living in your home, what does it matter what market value it has? I lived in a flat in Bath in negative equity for five years and I don't recall it having a single detrimental effect on my life. None. Nada. Zilch. Negative equity only affects the sort of chumps who a) view their houses as their pensions and are nearing retirement age and b) who bought a house to 'flip' it.

If you're not buying - or selling - what does it matter?

i`m probably gonna flamed for saying this but i`m sitting tight on my 300k and gonna buy in about 12months or so.......just my opinion ,thats all.
Hurrah for you. Just one question. Whose house are you going to buy? The one problem with the "house price crash" thing is that it requires all those people who currently own those houses to sell them. But all those people aren't going to sell them - are they. They're going to, ermmm (and I know this is a radical idea, but bear with me) "live" in them. You know - use that property is a "home".

and if you want graphs and stats take a look here.......... http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...hp?showforum=9

t has all the info you could hope for
Yea - various people have been spamming that website for as long as I've been a member of this forum. It falls under the same heading as "even a stopped clock is right twice a day". There are always dips and troughs in the cost of property, but the median line is ever ascending skywards ...
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
What got up your butt?

Is that your opinion or fact the market reached the bottom? I guess your opinion is that we are not hitting a dead cat bounce.

The only other thing I recommend people look at is the 1987 stock crash and the subsequent economic downturn, especially house prices and unemployment levels.
Funnily enough I was working as a performance analyst on the currency trading floor for HSBC in the City during the 1987 stock market crash. If you have any questions you'd like answered, feel free to ask.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:13 am
ABCDiamond

The only other thing I recommend people look at is the 1987 stock crash and the subsequent economic downturn, especially house prices and unemployment levels.

Year Sydney
1984 85,800
1985 93,500
1986 103,600
1987 120,600
1988 178,300
1989 199,300
1990 173,800
1991 181,300
1992 178,000
1993 178,000
1994 192,800
1995 200,700
1996 212,300

Canberra property prices went down in 1987.

Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:14 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

How many times was the bottom of the market falsely predicted by analysts at the time?
Originally Posted by Hutch
Funnily enough I was working as a performance analyst on the currency trading floor for HSBC in the City during the 1987 stock market crash. If you have any questions you'd like answered, feel free to ask.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
every suburb has a minus sign in front of median house prices

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/sna...te=nsw&alpha=a

what suburb you listed in then we will check yours out
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Cambridge Park 2747 NSW
OK, I looked it up myself... Up +5.0% in last 6 months

From $267,000 to $280,000

Average 7.9% growth per annum over the last 10 years.

Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:39 am
Australia's Doorman

How many times was the bottom of the market falsely predicted by analysts at the time?
How many days of the week have the letter 'Y' in them?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
That geography degree has served you well!

Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
So which is the odd one out? Mundee or Sat'dee?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
So which is the odd one out? Mundee or Sat'dee?
Oi stop taken the piss outeh mi accent.

It were Thusdee.

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Apr 16th 2009 at 3:13 am.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:17 am
Account Closed

That geography degree has served you well!

I had a weird sense of humour before going to uni
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:22 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Just one?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

What's the issue with negative equity? If you're living in your home, what does it matter what market value it has?

If you're not buying - or selling - what does it matter?

No problem with negative equity so long as you can ride out the trough and don't relaise any losses. The problem is when a borrower is forced to sell the property at a time when he is in negative equity due to circumstances beyond his control e.g. unemployment; divorce (?)...etc.