Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT people - delaying immigration?

View Poll Results: Are you going to delay immigration until IT job market improves?
Yes, but dont know how long to wait
0%
Yes, waiting at least 6 months
6.25%
Yes, giving it a year or waiting until it improves (if it does)
0%
No, I'm going to risk it
93.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

IT people - delaying immigration?

Old Jun 7th 2004, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT people - delaying immigration?

Hello all,

I was wondering how many people like myself are considering delaying the immigration process until the IT market looks a little bit better. I'll be 30 in January and loose the 5 points but still have enough points next year to try the process, but looking at the job market I'm a bit nervous about the prospects of getting a job.

So the question is, who is deciding upon waiting an additional few months to see what happens?

Marcus
Old Jun 7th 2004, 3:30 pm
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough

Hmm, kinda difficult to vote on this. I'm not waiting, but then, we aren`t planning on moving until June next year.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

We're moving in Feb, just coz that's the best time for us, not because we're waiting or anything. I've always been fairly flexible when it comes to finding a job so I don't think it will be a problem, plus we've got skilled independent visas so there are no restrictions on what we can do. We've also got the added security of savings to back us up.

I wouldn't let the job market now affect whether you apply or not, just because you have your visa doesn't mean you have to go straight away.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:17 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT people - delaying immigration?

Originally posted by mrfrosty
Hello all,

I was wondering how many people like myself are considering delaying the immigration process until the IT market looks a little bit better. I'll be 30 in January and loose the 5 points but still have enough points next year to try the process, but looking at the job market I'm a bit nervous about the prospects of getting a job.

So the question is, who is deciding upon waiting an additional few months to see what happens?

Marcus
Yes I'm waiting. But .. er .. only 'cos the ACS sez so..... I'd be there tomorrow but for the rules Jobswise, I think I'm probably easier pleased than a lot of people on here - from some of the comments I've read anyway.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Marcus
You must be getting different information than me. The IT industry in Oz was really in the doldrums last year. From what friends in Oz are saying now, its really starting to pick up, and just by counting the job ads, I'd agree.

Not that we would have delayed anyway, I think we are in the same boat as some of the previous posters, loads of years of experience in many different areas, and prepared to do any IT job to earn a crust for the first few years.

I don't think there is much point delaying, if you think the IT industry is subdued just because its not back at the same levels as the internet bubble in the late 1990s, you will be in for a long wait.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Marcus
Jobs gain momentum
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's usually better to apply as soon as possible (if you're eligible), as long as you are happy to validate your visa with a holiday in Australia if you're not ready to make the move straight away.

If you delay you risk being caught out by a change to the rules.

Jeremy

Hello all,

Marcus
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:51 pm
mickj

If you have a job in IT now, hang onto it for now, the market is a bit rocky now, and it will take a while before things get better. Unless you are considering a career change, stick to what you have now.

From another IT fella

Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point

I just can't make my mind up, I've been seriously thinking about this for about 3 years now, love going on holiday there.

I think I will do it, and get the process going, then as you say if I hesitate I can always wait after I get the visa (with luck) and have validated it.

Marcus
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:00 pm
mickj

You know best GUV, no one can make that decision for you !

I just can't make my mind up, I've been seriously thinking about this for about 3 years now, love going on holiday there.

I think I will do it, and get the process going, then as you say if I hesitate I can always wait after I get the visa (with luck) and have validated it.

Marcus

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:07 pm
UpS
Just Joined

UpS is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it's time to wait. IT market will always rise & down.
I'm 25 now, and got only 6 years of experience. But i'm on skilled migration now, waiting for pregrant.
I've got a work here in Lithuania, but i don't see any future with this country, couse of EU integration and rise of the prices....
That's why i'll risk.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Marcus
Well there is no harm applying for the visa anyway. As you say, it shouldn't be a problem getting it, and you shouldn't need to use an agent so it won't even be that expensive.

After you've got the visa it may or may not give you the kick in the rear to go for it, or appreciate what you've got where you are.

The one thing you don't want is to be looking back 10 years from now and thinking "why didn't I....?"

All the best with your decisions, we've all had to make them

good luck,
JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:23 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi - I'm the first to admit that I dont know much about the Australian IT market... but... my boyfriend does (well he should, he works in it!)

He's been saying for last couple of years that things need to pick up and has been monitoring the market to get a new job (without luck, as the job he works in now pays very well which makes it hard to leave). What he has said though, is that things dont seem to be getting any worse & if anything there seem to be more jobs (just not the right ones for him - he does R&D), so IMO I'd go for it. Plus with what Jeremy said it makes pretty good sense too
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

dobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

The It job market is picking up in Brisbane anyway. It has taken my husband 6 months to get a permanent job and was also offered another one in the same week. Lower wages than uk but it will be easier to change jobs with australian work experience.

juliet
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Juliet - dobbo.

Most interested in your post for 2 reasons:

1. I'm looking at relocating to Brisbane in IT. I know the wages will be less than Sydney, but I'm happy with that. My wifes wagse willnot be impacted too much as shes a nurse and the award is much the same in the 2 states.

2. More importantly I see you live in Albany Creek. Can you tell me why houses are so cheap there. Whats wrong with the place. Looks fine to me. We're thinking of giving it a drive through in the next week as we'll be up that way, but just wanted to know the low down.

rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.