Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People of Cairns I need advice..

People of Cairns I need advice..

Old May 25th 2007, 3:23 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Smile People of Cairns I need advice..

I'm flying to Cairns at the end of June and need some advice...

Where is the best place to find a very cheap car. I remember most of the car yards are on mulgrave rd (or used to be) is this still the place to look for a banger?

Are there any cheap car rental places, was looking to rent something small and cheap for a week or so on arrival?

Long shot but.....does anyone know of any 3 bed places to rent from the middle of July? Any recommendations or people to avoid re estate agents?

Comments welcome on the following subburbs; Whitfield, Brinsmead, Freshwater, Redlynch, Stratford.

Are there any schools you would not want your kids to go to?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: People of Cairns I need advice..

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse

Where is the best place to find a very cheap car. I remember most of the car yards are on mulgrave rd (or used to be) is this still the place to look for a banger?

Are there any cheap car rental places, was looking to rent something small and cheap for a week or so on arrival?

Long shot but.....does anyone know of any 3 bed places to rent from the middle of July? Any recommendations or people to avoid re estate agents?

Comments welcome on the following subburbs; Whitfield, Brinsmead, Freshwater, Redlynch, Stratford.

Thanks

Redlynch is a bit dodgey. Full of imported wildlife
Brinsmead may be the best of the list to find an available rental.
You may also be able pick up a new unit cheaper as developer's often guarantee a tenant for 12 months and offer discounted rent to attract the tenant.
WW

Last edited by wanderingwombat; May 26th 2007 at 12:58 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:37 am

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Redlynch is a bit dodgey. Full of imported wildlife
Brinsmead may be the best of the list to find an available rental.
You may also be able pick up a new unit cheaper as developer's often guarantee a tenant for 12 months and offer discounted rent to attract the tenant.
WW
Thanks for the reply WW
Old May 27th 2007, 4:10 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly missed this one WB.

There are several car rentals - have a look here
http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...rns+car+rental
Sorry, don't know which is good value.
Do know that the cost quoted by most is for a very basic insurance and adding a descent one is what bumps up the price. I think my company used Sugarland.

Yep, virtually all the car dealerships are still both sides of the Mulgrave Road or roads leading just off it. A trip up and down the road is all that is required.

Rentals going quickly so you will need to be here. Estate agents are pretty much the same. Good and bad depending who works for them at the time.

Schools = yes there are good and bad.
How old are your children ?
Stan can give you a good insight into them.

The burbs you mention are all okay.
Best prospect for rentals is Brinsmead and Redlynch.

Would you consider an apartment in a gated complex for rental ?
Think they do furnished and non furnished.
Brand new and reasonable price near good schools and shops.
Old May 27th 2007, 10:37 am

Thanks Bix for the info, kids are 11 and nearly 9 both girls.

Would you consider an apartment in a gated complex for rental ?
Yes I'll consider anything
Old May 27th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

For schools, consider north of Hoare St which includes those suburbs you mentioned earlier. There are some private schools on the southside which are the exception.

WW
Old May 27th 2007, 2:41 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
My friends are moving out at the end of July and live in a 3 bed in Kewarra beach if that is of any use to you? I know the rent is cheap at the moment but I expect they will put it up once they leave unfortunately as they only pay $260 for a 3 bed house - which is bloody brilliant for the area.
Old May 27th 2007, 3:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

PM 'd
Old May 27th 2007, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by snappy
My friends are moving out at the end of July and live in a 3 bed in Kewarra beach if that is of any use to you? I know the rent is cheap at the moment but I expect they will put it up once they leave unfortunately as they only pay $260 for a 3 bed house - which is bloody brilliant for the area.
That sounds promising, I'll send you a PM
Old May 27th 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Thanks
As for car hire ...check out cairnsoldercarhire.com

although im not in Cairns just yet my sister swears by them.....:curse: ha ha!

Just kidding - think they are reasonable and she reccomended them to us! Good luck looking forward to the barbie!!! beats the dull dreary pissing it down typical bank holiday in Yorkshire!!!
Old May 27th 2007, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Speargun
As for car hire ...check out cairnsoldercarhire.com

although im not in Cairns just yet my sister swears by them.....:curse: ha ha!

Just kidding - think they are reasonable and she reccomended them to us! Good luck looking forward to the barbie!!! beats the dull dreary pissing it down typical bank holiday in Yorkshire!!!
Thanks speargun I will check them out, when are you hoping to go?
Old May 28th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
State, Catholic or private/independant?

State= 'free' apart from uniforms and book lists
Catholic= around $3000 per yr for 2 kids (plus uniforms and book lists)
Private= around $11,000 per yr for 2 kids (plus uniforms and book lists)

Prices are for primary aged kids here and the private schools (there are two) are cheaper than other places in AUS.

Have tried all three systems here and Catholic suits our children the best. They had a year at a private school and the school was far too pushy - an hours homework a night for a preppie! Gimme a break!

Any questions, ask away. Schooling tends to be the thing I get PM'd about the most...

Last edited by steandleigh; May 28th 2007 at 11:23 pm.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:32 pm
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Hi,

we are hopefully flying out near the end of august and are wondering the same but would like to know about these places as well as Smithfield and Caravonica in the north and Mount Sheridan, Bentley Park and Edmonton in the south.

Our biggest problem is we have a 12 year old, who will be starting high school in January and we need a (preferably state) school for him with a gifted and talented program, he is a brainy one and in a program here, so needs this, so where we settle will depend on the school. So any advice on a good high school in a nice area would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Old May 28th 2007, 11:40 pm

Thanks for that, both kids are primary aged at the moment but older one would be due to start secondary school in January. Think we will have to go with the state system and see how we go....so much to organise it's mind boggling :curse:

Originally Posted by steandleigh
State, Catholic or private/independant?

State= 'free' apart from uniforms and book lists
Catholic= around $3000 per yr for 2 kids (plus uniforms and book lists)
Private= around $11,000 per yr for 2 kids (plus uniforms and book lists)

Prices are for primary aged kids here and the private schools (there are two) are cheaper than other places in AUS.

Have tried all three systems here and Catholic suits our children the best. They had a year at a private school and the school was far too pushy - an hours homework a night for a preppie! Gimme a break!

Any questions, ask away. Schooling tends to be the thing I get PM'd about the most...
Old May 28th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The morris clan
Hi,

we are hopefully flying out near the end of august and are wondering the same but would like to know about these places as well as Smithfield and Caravonica in the north and Mount Sheridan, Bentley Park and Edmonton in the south.

Our biggest problem is we have a 12 year old, who will be starting high school in January and we need a (preferably state) school for him with a gifted and talented program, he is a brainy one and in a program here, so needs this, so where we settle will depend on the school. So any advice on a good high school in a nice area would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Cairns State High School has a good gifted and talented policy / program:

http://www.cairnsshs.eq.edu.au/needs.html

Also particularly good if your child is interested in the arts.

Smithfield High school has excelent technology resources, for budding computer nerds:

http://smithfieldshs.eq.edu.au/wcmss/

St Andrews Catholic College is just excellent all round:

http://www.standrewscc.qld.edu.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.