Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pensions - worth combining private / work and transferring?

Wikiposts

Pensions - worth combining private / work and transferring?

Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pensions - worth combining private / work and transferring?

As we're going to be moving soon is it worth transferring work pension to my private one?

I've had my work pension for about a year but am wondering if it's worth combining the 2 prior to transferring to Oz.

Any pitfalls in this idea? Just think that as I won't be paying into my work pension anymore it makes sense to transfer what I have.

Has anyone here done that and what am I looking at cost wise to transfer to Oz?

Cheers!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:20 am
Just Joined

David Gray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pensions - worth combining private / work and transferring?

Originally posted by keaton
As we're going to be moving soon is it worth transferring work pension to my private one?

I've had my work pension for about a year but am wondering if it's worth combining the 2 prior to transferring to Oz.

Any pitfalls in this idea? Just think that as I won't be paying into my work pension anymore it makes sense to transfer what I have.

Has anyone here done that and what am I looking at cost wise to transfer to Oz?

Cheers!
Its probably worth getting proper advise - if you want to really frighten yourself have a look at www.ato.gov.au and read the "Foreign Investment Funds Guide"

My reading of the situation is that work pensions are exempt from the tax on foreign pensions but that this applies to private pensions, so combine them if you are going to bring them over to oz within six months otherwise leave them apart.

I must admit that I am really struggling with my first Oz tax return - I always did my own tax returns in the UK including when I was running a company - the ATO has got the UK beat hands down for complexity!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:26 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you mean for 'about a year'. If you've been paying in for less then a year, your contributions will be refunded.

Jane
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

two years or < £2000