Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pensions or in particular NHS pensions

Pensions or in particular NHS pensions

Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:04 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Post Pensions or in particular NHS pensions

Hi,

I know nothing about my current pension! It's a NHS Pension, as is my wifes. We both have 10 years service in the NHS. I understand there has been some changes to UK pensions and taking them abroad by Mr Brown recently.

Is there anywhere where we can read up about what to do with these pensions when we move to Oz? We intend to stay in Healthcare when we get there.

Also, is there anywhere that we can read about the pensions/retirement situation in Australia and what we are letting ourselves in for when we reach old age over there?

Thanks

Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

hedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pensions or in particular NHS pensions

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Hi,

I know nothing about my current pension! It's a NHS Pension, as is my wifes. We both have 10 years service in the NHS. I understand there has been some changes to UK pensions and taking them abroad by Mr Brown recently.

Is there anywhere where we can read up about what to do with these pensions when we move to Oz? We intend to stay in Healthcare when we get there.

Also, is there anywhere that we can read about the pensions/retirement situation in Australia and what we are letting ourselves in for when we reach old age over there?

Thanks

Hi, Ring up your NHS pensions agency and they will send you lots of info, ie which company you can tranfer it to in Oz, freezing it etc..
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Look here:

http://www.nhspa.gov.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

G
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:23 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Thank you both, anyone else got any info to pass away those night shifts reading??

Hehe
Old Jun 12th 2006, 4:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both, anyone else got any info to pass away those night shifts reading??

Have you thought about whether you might want to leave your NHS pension where it is? Transferring has both plus and minus points.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Rang up fleetwood about my pension, they didn't offer to send any leaflets, they didn't advise on pro and cons about leaving it where it is.

They did give me a reference number and said once i join a superan scheme in Oz notify them i have nhs pension assets to transfer over and arrange this transfer through a independent financial advisor.

Ali
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Hi
try this website/group, there is much info re
pension/retirement etc..

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Beria

hope it helps

Thanks

Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alison1967
Rang up fleetwood about my pension, they didn't offer to send any leaflets, they didn't advise on pro and cons about leaving it where it is.

They did give me a reference number and said once i join a superan scheme in Oz notify them i have nhs pension assets to transfer over and arrange this transfer through a independent financial advisor.

Ali
Hi Ali,
I am in the process of moving my NHS pension to Hesta fund. I haven't used a finacial advisor!! You complete a form that the pension agency you are with in Australia give you and basically send it back and the pension scheme sorts it!! Saying that it hasn't come over yet!! I sent it off about May time. Advisors charge for bringing it over. My friend is being charged 3%. Hope this helps!
Marie
Old Jun 12th 2006, 12:46 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware of new UK Revenue requirements when making pension transfers after 5 April 2006:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=376
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=386

In other words there is now more to it than you were perhaps expecting ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi Ali,
I am in the process of moving my NHS pension to Hesta fund. I haven't used a finacial advisor!! You complete a form that the pension agency you are with in Australia give you and basically send it back and the pension scheme sorts it!! Saying that it hasn't come over yet!! I sent it off about May time. Advisors charge for bringing it over. My friend is being charged 3%. Hope this helps!
Marie