Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pensioner concession card

Pensioner concession card

Old May 31st 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

wortho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pensioner concession card

Does anybody know how long a recently arrived Pensioner from UK has to wait before they qualify for Centerlinks Pensioner Concession card. I was told it was now 10 years since the end of the social security arrangement between Oz & UK, however all the info I can find online suggest it is 2 years before you qualify.
Thanks
David
Old May 31st 2005, 9:47 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pensioner concession card

Originally Posted by wortho
Does anybody know how long a recently arrived Pensioner from UK has to wait before they qualify for Centerlinks Pensioner Concession card. I was told it was now 10 years since the end of the social security arrangement between Oz & UK, however all the info I can find online suggest it is 2 years before you qualify.
Thanks
David
I heard a rumour (but I don't have any evidence - so it might not be true) that you only got the concession card if you were entitled to an aussie pension. (Which is penalising people who have prepared for their retirement.) If this is true then it could be the 10 years.

Regards
Alistair
Old May 31st 2005, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

It varies from state to state.

http://www.midcoast.com.au/seniors.htm has links to them all I think.

Lesley
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:42 am
ABCDiamond

The Centerlink Pensioner Concession card, is NOT related purely to the Age Pensions.

Even single parents, and some Disabled people, can get the card, and that is why you find references to the 2 year rule.

Some info on this card:
What benefits does the Pensioner Concession Card provide?The card entitles you to reduced cost medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

As well as this, you may also be entitled to extra concessions from state and local government authorities. Concessions from state and local government authorities may include:

* reductions in property and water rates
* reductions in energy bills
* a telephone allowance
* reduced fares on public transport
* reductions on motor vehicle registration
* one or more free rail journeys within the state each year.
Pensioner Concession Card concessions vary from state to state and some of these extra concessions are also available to your dependents.
When you see the word "Pensioner" used in Australia, you must not think "AGE", a 19 year old single mum is also a pensioner here

The Age pension does have the 10 year rule, as does the Disability Support Pension.

You may also find this Centrelink page handy:
Publications if you have recently moved to Australia to settle