Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PENSION - TO TRANSFER OR NOT TO TRANSFER??

PENSION - TO TRANSFER OR NOT TO TRANSFER??

Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:33 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PENSION - TO TRANSFER OR NOT TO TRANSFER??

We're due to flight to Perth on the 22nd October and had planned to transfer our pensions over within the first 6 months. I'm not really that knowledgeable on tax issues etc, but going off the current world economy and the state of index linked pensions at the moment, we're seriously considering just leaving them in the UK and maybe transferring them over in a few years time.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PENSION - TO TRANSFER OR NOT TO TRANSFER??

Yup, get financial advice. If you have an index linked pension, I think I would be leaving it where it is - I think most Aussie ones these days are allocated pensions with just a few gold plated indexed ones for old public servants. I am not sure about the industry funds. You cant bring your govt pension over at all, just your private ones and there are tax implications if you roll them over after you have been here for more than 12 months I believe, hence the need to get good independent financial advice. Edited to add that remember if you decide to leave Aus for any reason once you are a permanent resident, you dont have the option of rolling it back into a UK pension account - it has to stay here until you reach retirement age.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, get financial advice. If you have an index linked pension, I think I would be leaving it where it is - I think most Aussie ones these days are allocated pensions with just a few gold plated indexed ones for old public servants. I am not sure about the industry funds. You cant bring your govt pension over at all, just your private ones and there are tax implications if you roll them over after you have been here for more than 12 months I believe, hence the need to get good independent financial advice. Edited to add that remember if you decide to leave Aus for any reason once you are a permanent resident, you dont have the option of rolling it back into a UK pension account - it has to stay here until you reach retirement age.
Thanks for that quoll, i think for the short term we'll be leaving them where they are and then taking some financial advise for the long term.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I brought my gov pension over no probs
donna
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
I brought my gov pension over no probs
donna
Your NI one? Sorry that is what I meant by government - the old age pension contributions. You cant roll them into an Aus super fund but you can receive your pension once you reach retirement age here but it wont be indexed, just frozen at the rate you start it on. Other pension funds can be rolled over into an Aus fund
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:10 am

Your NI one? Sorry that is what I meant by government - the old age pension contributions. You cant roll them into an Aus super fund but you can receive your pension once you reach retirement age here but it wont be indexed, just frozen at the rate you start it on. Other pension funds can be rolled over into an Aus fund
That was my understanding as well - you've just got to let the Pension Department know your new address and then they send the paperwork to you a few months before you retire.

Not sure yet whether we'll continue to pay voluntary NI contributions - i've sent off for a pension and NI forecast, just waiting for it to arrive.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

I've been told that it is best to leave 'final salary pensions' where they are (otherwise you lose loads), it is only private pensions you need to consider transferring.
I have only spoken to an IFA (one who advertises on this site) and not paid for any service.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by n_n_d
I've been told that it is best to leave 'final salary pensions' where they are (otherwise you lose loads), it is only private pensions you need to consider transferring.
I have only spoken to an IFA (one who advertises on this site) and not paid for any service.

I think i've got a final salary pension, i'm a civil servant, well, i will be until tomorrow I'll ring them up today and get it clarified and if it is, i'll probably leave it where it is. My OH's pension is private - it had lost 10K in 8 months the last time we checked 4 weeks ago, god knows what it's lost now
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mary1967
I think i've got a final salary pension, i'm a civil servant, well, i will be until tomorrow I'll ring them up today and get it clarified and if it is, i'll probably leave it where it is. My OH's pension is private - it had lost 10K in 8 months the last time we checked 4 weeks ago, god knows what it's lost now
I would get this clarified by some-one else. Nearer the time that's what I'll doing
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:40 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n_n_d
Not true

I have a defined benefit pension and advice was to leave in UK. Nephew just immigrated and had 2 such pensions and advised to move both.
Depends on age of person, value of fund, index linking etc etc

Only specialsied financial advice will give you an answer - and even then assumptions have to be made.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

I'd agree with most of this except you CAN transfer a Civil Service pension to Oz. The transfer value goes into a private pension in Oz and you lose the index linking. I've decided to leave it where it is (UK) as an index linked pension is too valuable to give up. I sought independent advice but managed to come to this conclusion without having to pay anyone for the advice. Private pensions are a different matter.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BATS666
I'd agree with most of this except you CAN transfer a Civil Service pension to Oz. The transfer value goes into a private pension in Oz and you lose the index linking. I've decided to leave it where it is (UK) as an index linked pension is too valuable to give up. I sought independent advice but managed to come to this conclusion without having to pay anyone for the advice. Private pensions are a different matter.
But remember index linking "could" be easily offset by the income tax you will pay here.
Remember super paid in Aus is tax free, pensions drawn from UK funds of any type are taxable.
This is just one of the variables that must taken into account when deciding whether to move or not.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EvannTel
But remember index linking "could" be easily offset by the income tax you will pay here.
Remember super paid in Aus is tax free, pensions drawn from UK funds of any type are taxable.
This is just one of the variables that must taken into account when deciding whether to move or not.
I reckon that 35 years of income from an index linked final salary pension is better than a tax free Oz pension where none of the income is guaranteed. Yes, it's open to the vaguaries of the exchange rate but it's not open to the vaguaries of the stock market. In today's climate that's worth alot. I'd rather pay the tax on a guaranteed income than watch my pension pot go down the pan with all the other equities, commodities etc.....
It's a judgment call, but I think I made the right decision.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by BATS666
I reckon that 35 years of income from an index linked final salary pension is better than a tax free Oz pension where none of the income is guaranteed. Yes, it's open to the vaguaries of the exchange rate but it's not open to the vaguaries of the stock market. In today's climate that's worth alot. I'd rather pay the tax on a guaranteed income than watch my pension pot go down the pan with all the other equities, commodities etc.....
It's a judgment call, but I think I made the right decision.
Yep, well if you plan to live to 90 or so then you may well be right. 35 years post retirement is above average mind you - and again another of the variables that have to factored in.
The flip side of course is if you are still some years away from retirement then the stock market will recover. I'd bet my pension on it
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Yep, well if you plan to live to 90 or so then you may well be right. 35 years post retirement is above average mind you - and again another of the variables that have to factored in.
The flip side of course is if you are still some years away from retirement then the stock market will recover. I'd bet my pension on it
I took early retirement, so I'm drawing my pension at 50. 35 years seems a pretty good bet...... barring funnelwebs, great whites and death adders of course !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.