Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pending a speeding ticket....

Pending a speeding ticket....

Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:48 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pending a speeding ticket....

Wasn't sure which part of the forum to post this so mods feel free to move it if necessary.....

I've had the misfortune of getting caught speeding. Had the letter through today from the cops asking me to fill out the form to say if it was me driving etc. They also say my licence nor payment of £60 is not requested at this stage as they need to determine if it was me that was driving.

Now my dilema is that I'm due to fly next week to Perth and obviously I'll need my driving licence for hire cars etc so whats the best approach? Has anyone been in this situation before? I dont have a problem admiting I was driving before anyone assumes I plan to do a runner.

It makes it worse because I wont have a forwarding address in Oz for at least a couple of weeks.

Any advice here would be welcomed
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:51 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all
Default Re: Pending a speeding ticket....

Originally Posted by perksy
Wasn't sure which part of the forum to post this so mods feel free to move it if necessary.....

I've had the misfortune of getting caught speeding. Had the letter through today from the cops asking me to fill out the form to say if it was me driving etc. They also say my licence nor payment of £60 is not requested at this stage as they need to determine if it was me that was driving.

Now my dilema is that I'm due to fly next week to Perth and obviously I'll need my driving licence for hire cars etc so whats the best approach? Has anyone been in this situation before? I dont have a problem admiting I was driving before anyone assumes I plan to do a runner.

It makes it worse because I wont have a forwarding address in Oz for at least a couple of weeks.

Any advice here would be welcomed
Is there a number on the letter you can ring, or maybe google DVLA speeding ticket payment, or something similar. It may be you can just speak to someone, say I was driving and I wish to make payment now. I don't know if that's possible but it would certainly save you any hassle with your trip so close.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:59 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lerato
Is there a number on the letter you can ring, or maybe google DVLA speeding ticket payment, or something similar. It may be you can just speak to someone, say I was driving and I wish to make payment now. I don't know if that's possible but it would certainly save you any hassle with your trip so close.
No phone number on the letter, its just a PO Box address for Nottinghamshire Police Traffic Enforcement. I was toying with the idea of filing out the admitance form and photocopying our tickets to prove to them that I actually am leaving the country and sending them that with a letter explaining I'll be in touch once I get a postal address in Australia.

Cheers for your advice Lerato
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:13 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

No phone number on the letter, its just a PO Box address for Nottinghamshire Police Traffic Enforcement. I was toying with the idea of filing out the admitance form and photocopying our tickets to prove to them that I actually am leaving the country and sending them that with a letter explaining I'll be in touch once I get a postal address in Australia.

Cheers for your advice Lerato
Is this trip one-way or are you coming back? Although the letter states that you have 30 days to respond, you will simply get another letter after that time with another 30 days to respond so you'll end up with 2 months time to play with. I know this as we also had a similar situation in that we got a speeding fine and reminder waiting for us when we came back from being abroad for a month.

- CDM
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:23 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by CDM
Is this trip one-way or are you coming back? Although the letter states that you have 30 days to respond, you will simply get another letter after that time with another 30 days to respond so you'll end up with 2 months time to play with. I know this as we also had a similar situation in that we got a speeding fine and reminder waiting for us when we came back from being abroad for a month.

- CDM
Its a one way trip sorry I should've stated this in my original post
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the same thing happened to my OH.

She wrote a very nice letter stating that she had moved from the UK for good and would not be returning and that was the last thing she ever heard.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:24 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by jond
Exactly the same thing happened to my OH.

She wrote a very nice letter stating that she had moved from the UK for good and would not be returning and that was the last thing she ever heard.
Cheers for the reply Jond. I was thinking of doing something along the same lines. Did your OH send photocopied details of your air tickets to the cops as some form of proof?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the reply Jond. I was thinking of doing something along the same lines. Did your OH send photocopied details of your air tickets to the cops as some form of proof?

I think she might have photocopied the visa and entry stamp in her passport.

I know she had the notice for a few weeks before we moved and hung it out until we were here before doing anything about it karma got her though she was nicked for speeding about 6 weeks after getting her aussie license
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:34 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by jond
I think she might have photocopied the visa and entry stamp in her passport.

I know she had the notice for a few weeks before we moved and hung it out until we were here before doing anything about it karma got her though she was nicked for speeding about 6 weeks after getting her aussie license
Cheers for that jond

I think I'm going to send them a letter with photocopies of visa, tickets etc. No doubt just like your OH sods law will get me back and I'll end up getting done for speeding in Oz
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I'd just send the letter back with "Moved overseas" written on it
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that jond

I think I'm going to send them a letter with photocopies of visa, tickets etc. No doubt just like your OH sods law will get me back and I'll end up getting done for speeding in Oz
Just make sure that you get something in writing from them.

Least then, you wont have to worry about getting pinched if/when you return to the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:50 pm
Cad and bounder

Thanks to those who offered advice on this thread. Just to let you know that I filled in the admitance form and sent it back to them along with a photocopy of my visa and letter saying that after next week I would no longer be a UK resident.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

I think i would have done the same, but get a friend or relative to post it the day after i went, with the luck i have i would get lifted at the airport

Kev