Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Penalty points on license - urgent advice please!

Penalty points on license - urgent advice please!

Old Jul 6th 2002, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Penalty points on license - urgent advice please!

Moving to WA in two weeks. Hubby has 3 points on his license for speeding. Please advise:

1) When he gets an Australian license are the points transferred?

2) When hiring a rental car at the airport, will they ask about points, could it stop him being able to rent a car?
Old Jul 6th 2002, 11:20 pm
Raffi Balmanouk

Default Re: Penalty points on license - urgent advice please!

in article [email protected], Jacqui at [email protected] wrote on
7/6/02 12:20 PM:

> Moving to WA in two weeks. Hubby has 3 points on his license for speeding.
    > Please advise:
    >
    > 1) When he gets an Australian license are the points transferred?

No.

>
    > 2) When hiring a rental car at the airport, will they ask about points, could it
    > stop him being able to rent a car?

No.

Old Jul 7th 2002, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Raffi. Does that mean that even people with points for more serious offences, ie drunk-driving, can start again with a clean slate?
Old Jul 7th 2002, 6:20 pm
Raffi Balmanouk

in article [email protected], Jacqui at [email protected] wrote on
7/7/02 12:20 PM:

> Thanks Raffi. Does that mean that even people with points for more serious
    > offences, ie drunk-driving, can start again with a clean slate?
    >

Licensing is a state matter, and although I suspect there's some sort of interstate
reporting (so you can't just be a Mexican and hop across the NSW/Vic border and get
another license if you lose the other one), the international rules are probably
different.

That's quite aside from insurability, of course - insurers (for third party property
and collision - third party bodily injury is part of the vehicle registration
process) will ask if you've had ANY accidents or convictions within a specified
period of time, and will still nail you for drink driving even in another
jurisdiction. If you don't disclose it, it would very likely be considered a
"material misstatement" and as such would void any claim. I wouldn't screw with it.

Old Jul 7th 2002, 10:20 pm
Roger Martin

"Raffi Balmanoukian" <[email protected] a> wrote in
message news:B94DEF1F.46F4%[email protected]...
    > in article [email protected], Jacqui at
[email protected]
    > wrote on 7/7/02 12:20 PM:
    >
    > > Thanks Raffi. Does that mean that even people with points for more serious
    > > offences, ie drunk-driving, can start again with a clean slate?
    > >
    >
    > Licensing is a state matter, and although I suspect there's some sort of interstate
    > reporting (so you can't just be a Mexican and hop across the NSW/Vic border and get
    > another license if you lose the other one), the international rules are probably
    > different.
    >
Its still fairly easy to get more than one driving licence in Australia unless you
drive a truck or bus for a living in which case you are issued with an Australian
Heavy Vehicle licence. I'm not sure that the various States have managed to actually
get their computers to check the simple things like names and birthdays, the coppers
seem to have that ability for some unknown reason.

BTW if you lose a drivers licence in ANY jurisdiction you are banned from driving on
Australian roads - the ban applies to the person not the licence.

> That's quite aside from insurability, of course - insurers (for third
party
    > property and collision - third party bodily injury is part of the vehicle
    > registration process) will ask if you've had ANY accidents or convictions within a
    > specified period of time, and will still nail you for drink
driving
    > even in another jurisdiction. If you don't disclose it, it would very likely be
    > considered a "material misstatement" and as such would void any claim. I wouldn't
    > screw with it.
    >
Agreed, if its a large claim the insurance company will go looking for your previous
driving history. My last renewal notice had highlighted that I now must declare ALL
driving infringements and accidents I have ever had!! Which is a worry as I have
trouble remembering what happened yesterday let alone 30 years ago LOL.