Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian 'just bounced off' bus windscreen

Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Pedestrian 'just bounced off' bus windscreen

"I saw an old man walking across the road.

" It was a green light (for pedestrians). He was crossing within the white lines. I saw the bus come around the corner.

"I don't think the driver saw the old man walking across the road.

"And then the bus just hit the bloke and the bloke has just bounced off the windscreen about five or six metres."
Does anyone else find it strange that a green light at a junction also means a green light for pedestrians?

From a driver's pov, you see a green light, so you don't expect to turn the corner and find people walking in the road.

As a pedestrian, you get a green man so you believe yourself to be safe from moving traffic.

Is this a case where the Oz road rules are wrong, or is there some common sense to it?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pedestrian 'just bounced off' bus windscreen

Originally Posted by JulesandChris

Does anyone else find it strange that a green light at a junction also means a green light for pedestrians?

From a driver's pov, you see a green light, so you don't expect to turn the corner and find people walking in the road.

As a pedestrian, you get a green man so you believe yourself to be safe from moving traffic.

Is this a case where the Oz road rules are wrong, or is there some common sense to it?
The only sense is that it frees up traffic when noone is crossing the road. There was talk of changing this in the CBD.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:42 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
The only sense is that it frees up traffic when noone is crossing the road. There was talk of changing this in the CBD.

Think thats probably a good idea, taxi's especially seem to be quite bad for trying to drive around people when they're crossing on a green man.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Think thats probably a good idea, taxi's especially seem to be quite bad for trying to drive around people when they're crossing on a green man.
What annoys me as a pedestrian is those drivers without any patience. Some go so far as to intimidate you. It just makes me take longer.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Its the same in some european countries too. It does come as a shock the first time you cross on a green man and nearly get wiped by a car or bus.

You can also have the added risk of nearly silent electric trams and cyclists, so even if you don't hear anything approaching, and obviously can't see anything coming round the corner, you're still taking your life in your hands when you cross.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:13 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It takes quite getting used to, very annoying! And dangerous too, yes.

But, you don't have to be crossing the street to be hit by a bus in Sydney....
Anyone remember a year or two ago, Madeleine West (then in Neighbours) got hit by a bus while ON the sidewalk!!! She nearly died, had a brain haemorrage or something. And major scars on the face. She's funny though, makes jokes about her makeup being on the windscreen of the bus! (it was!). She also got robbed of her wallet while lying there nearly dead btw
THe whole thing made her think: lifes to short, so she left neighbours!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Simone
She also got robbed of her wallet while lying there nearly dead btw
This should be on the crime thread!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:30 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

THe whole thing made her think: lifes to short, so she left neighbours!
I still feel sorry for Toadie
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:37 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
I still feel sorry for Toadie
lol!

Actually, was thinking about starting a new thread about this...
Anyone notice Neighbours is getting more 'real'?
There's now a 'bogan' family living in the street.
And a part Serbian one.

One of the kids of the bogan family is 'overweight'(and you actually see her eating chocolate etc, very funny).
And Toadie's new girlfriend is also 'overweight' and you see him and his colleagues dealing with that etc.

There's other stuff too, that I can't think of at the moment.
People always accuse neighbours of helping people get the rose tints, but Neighbours doesn't even have beaches and bbq's.
Home and Away on the other hand......
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:05 am

lol!
Actually, was thinking about starting a new thread about this...
Anyone notice Neighbours is getting more 'real'?
They wouldn't have had to try to hard to achieve this!
It still looks like a bunch of amatuers acting out plots that are more flimsy than the film sets.
Are they actually serious? Or do they know that they're really bad, and try hard to be the worst?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:18 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
They wouldn't have had to try to hard to achieve this!
It still looks like a bunch of amatuers acting out plots that are more flimsy than the film sets.
Are they actually serious? Or do they know that they're really bad, and try hard to be the worst?

They're just filling in until they get a singing career or part on Dancing With the "Stars" and a tennis playing boyfriend....
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:23 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by jayr
They're just filling in until they get a singing career or part on Dancing With the "Stars" and a tennis playing boyfriend....
That's Home and Away.

I think there's a big difference between the quality of H&A and Neighbours, expecially with acting, though Neighbours does have crap actors sometimes too.
A few of the Neighbours actors I now see in Hollywood, not many H&A ones though.

Anyway, this wasn't my point
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Can we get a bus to run over the whole cast of H&A and neighbours. I'll put in $10 to the cause.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:29 am

Can we get a bus to run over the whole cast of H&A and neighbours. I'll put in $10 to the cause.
$10 from me too. Anyone else?
You'll be able to get your money back by robbing them afterwards.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see you and raise you $10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.