Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

are pe teachers required?

are pe teachers required?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default are pe teachers required?

My family and I are moving over next year - hopefully! I am a Head of Department with also a good house but leaving it all behind for Aus and without a job to go to. Am I mad or should I pick up a good job?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:09 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are pe teachers required?

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
My family and I are moving over next year - hopefully! I am a Head of Department with also a good house but leaving it all behind for Aus and without a job to go to. Am I mad or should I pick up a good job?
Completely confused with question. Are you asking whether a PE teacher is on the skills list or on the availablity of positions in Australia? Maybe you would be better posting this on the teaching forum as well.
http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=80

Have you contacted DIAC?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get a reply in the teaching forum for sure. Big problem with teaching in Aus is that there are loads of jobs but the chances are they are going to be in places that you dont want to live in. It is really hard to fill vacancies in out of the way places but if you want the nice beachside areas (like everyone else) then you are going to find it harder (some states even have the proviso that you have to have done the hard yards before you get a plum position). If you dont mind teaching out at Woop Woop then you should be fine. OTOH you should be very marketable for the private boys school circuit.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this (but not PE) - but didn't sell the house.

It can be done but the longer I spend here the more I see that mine was a very high risk strategy and I could have easily been on the plane back to the UK within a few months.

I sent my cv off to a selection of the top schools in Perth and was picked up by one for a temporary appt covering my second subject. I then taught part time in a subject which was out of my comfort zone after the first job finished (at the same school) and then by luck, an HOD job came up at the school which I got.

In one way it was a negative - my career has been in stalled mode for 10 years. BUT if living in Australia is your dream and teaching at a fantastic place in a great location, then I was extremely lucky. It could have all gone very wrong.

So, what will ncrease your chances? Being as pro-active as possible. Having a good set of qualifications which set you apart from others. Relevant experience for the types of schools at which you wish to work. Ability and flexibility with regard to second (or third!) subjects.
And of course - luck.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:44 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

I think you should be prepared to be as flexible as possible.

My sister in law immigrated 4 years ago. She was HOD for PE in a large secondary school in Oxford. It took her ages to get a teaching job. She did this by volunteering to help out (unpaid) with sports at her son's primary school. After 1 semester she was offered a casual contract teaching PE. She found being outside in the sun all day too much for her. Still with the same state shool she managed to get casual work teaching in the classroom - subjects which she had not taught before - English, Maths. Because it was primary she coped. After 3 years of casual contracts she was offered a full time permanent position.

I also have a friend who is a physics teacher. It took him 3 weeks to be offered a full time permanent position, but that was with a private school.

If you are good, are prepared to be flexible, and maybe start at the bottom again, you should be ok.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I am presuming you have a 4 year degree...3 year degrees aren't accepted by Teaching Australia much to my dismay!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
and maybe start at the bottom again, you should be ok.
This fills me with dismay but probably has a lot of truth...