Reload this Page >

PE teacher hoping for work in Oz?

PE teacher hoping for work in Oz?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

mctiernank is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile PE teacher hoping for work in Oz?

Hello all

Is there anyone who could provide any information on the chances of work for a PE teacher in Oz, and where best to apply? I have a 1 year old daughter and me and my wife (teaching assistant) are keen to move to Australia. All this hinges on the chances of employment so any information most welcome.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:39 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PE teacher hoping for work in Oz?

I've sent you a PM.

Cooler
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:45 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

As promised, here's my friends experience:

"It is very hard to get a job in the state schools over here (government schools),especially if you want to work near or in the major cities/towns. There is supply (relief) available though.

from my understanding your application for state schools goes to the bottom of the pile and you simply wait!!

The best schools ars independent and church schools (catholic sector is big here, but anglican also popular).

They appoint on merit, just like UK. i managed to get work in the independent sector, they love UK teachers.

independent/catholic sector is where you will be more successful if you want to live near the major towns and cities.

after teaching australia has accredited your skills you will still need to send all your certified docs AGAIN to the individual states where you wish to teach. Its a real pain, but each state has its own govt. and requires your skills to be accredited by ITS OWN dept....they dont talk to the fereral govt!!!

For PE, have to teach Health Ed as well here and states such as NSW wanted me to go on a 4 week course costing 1000 pounds to cover this...they didnt take into account the fact that i`d been teaching for 12 years and had covered this in PSHE in the UK. It is harder for PE teachers in the government sector because of this health option ( they want a degree type qualification from you, experience means jack!).

The independent schools are diff. though....My advice would be to get into one of these."

Cooler
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: PE teacher hoping for work in Oz?

Thanks for that information, it is useful to hear from someone who's in the know. Just finding it so difficult to get my head around where to start!

In your experience how long does does it take from first applying for a visa until gaining one? Also how long does that visa last before you need to gain employment? My main worry is paying for a visa and then being unable to find work. I am currently looking at moving to Perth but house prices seem to be high. Any partciular places that are short on PE teachers and have well priced houses ? Not asking for too much...

When you gained work did you apply from outside of Australia and if so how did you go about the interview process? Right I'll stop asking questions now but if you can give me any more advice it would be most wecome.

Cheers

Kevin Mc
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:08 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by mctiernank
Thanks for that information, it is useful to hear from someone who's in the know. Just finding it so difficult to get my head around where to start!

In your experience how long does does it take from first applying for a visa until gaining one? Also how long does that visa last before you need to gain employment? My main worry is paying for a visa and then being unable to find work. I am currently looking at moving to Perth but house prices seem to be high. Any partciular places that are short on PE teachers and have well priced houses ? Not asking for too much...

When you gained work did you apply from outside of Australia and if so how did you go about the interview process? Right I'll stop asking questions now but if you can give me any more advice it would be most wecome.

Cheers

Kevin Mc
I am still in the UK, in the process of applying so can tell my experience and what I've read. You need to apply to Teaching Australia for you qualifications to be 'passed' and then you can apply for visa. It supposed to take 6-8 weeks for TA to get back so we should find out shortly.

You need to check you have enough points for the visa you apply for
http://www.immi.gov.au/ (sorry, I can never find the points calculator)

As Secondary teachers are on the Critical Skills List (CSL) then processing should be ok but really, no one can say but look on here for threads about such. You can either use the 'search' or look through the immigration section. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the time but you need to consider a few things such as do you have a house to sell or rent out and what you'd take with with you and where you may go. These involve time and/or money but once again, search on BE as there is loads of experience on here.

I ruled out Perth as being too far from the many part of Oz where we have friends and family and also house prices seem higher there.

There is a program (on hold I think at the moment) for teaching in rural WA where a lot of things are paid for but check out the teaching section to hear for views on this.

Cooler
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter did a Dip Ed fairly recently and the most trainees outdoor ED and PE its what so many of our own young teachers want to teach.

I believe you need to have another subject to be successful in teaching PE.

Maths science you can walk into a job but other subjects as others have said its harder and there are plenty of Aus teachers doing CRT work waiting for a job these days.

We had a teacher drive in Vic a few years ago and lots of students took up teaching.

My daughter is not teaching and she teaches social sciences and psychology and the jobs are not around in the metropolitan areas.

More primary teaching jobs simply because there are more primary schools but there are also a lot of teachers in training as well.

If you are prepared to move into rural country areas then its no problem getting a teaching job.

Our teachers are mainly one year contract teachers now not permanent. My son is a teacher but he did his rural stint to gain ongoing employment with the education department so he is not a contract teacher now. He teaches maths and science though.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses.

A little bit disheartening but best to know what it is really like. Looks like I may need to head into the outback!

Kevin Mc
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:34 am
Just Joined

sciencemonitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

You may consider doing a teaching exchange so you can check out if you really want to emigrate. This would also put you in touch with local schools and you may find a job that way.

I went to Australia last year through LECT on a one year exchange (details at lect.org.uk/programmes/one_year_exchange.aspx

I also set up an exchange forum at:

scimonsoftware.com/phpBB

which has lots of information and advice.

Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: PE teacher hoping for work in Oz?

Hi

Thanks for that-sounds like a good idea.

Cheers

Kevin