Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Wikiposts

PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Hi Dave

I used to be a die hard desktop PC user (sounds like I'm doing drugs) and always sniffed at purchasing a laptop, you'll never convince me into buying a laptop I said......HOW WRONG!!! A laptop is one of the best buys I've ever done. It keeps the missus happy as I can nod in agreement to any trivia she is throwing at me etc etc..and be in the same room also, nice one.
It does everything me old PC does, even games, not that I do that much these days. The spec on a laptop nowadays is extremely good.
From what I've read there are a few broadband suppliers so that shouldn't be a problem, some of the locals will put you straight on that. You can have broadband on your laptop

Cheers mate

Rich

Agree with Rich, we have a laptop and have just purchased a 'router' for a $100, now we can have wireless broadband anywhere around the house, was in the garden last night it was still 24c with a nice cool breeze, magic, and a beer of course!!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Bites tongue !

Regards lappys, they are the mode of convenience. My wife loves hers, and swears buy it, I on the other hand am a die hard Tower man.

The main problem I see with Laptops, is expansion. They are very expensive to expand, and future proof.

We bought debs lappy the cheapest hi-performance one from pcworld in uk, its 3 ghz and shes had it now 2 years !!!!

In oz, theyve just begun to get hi end lappys, but you pay for it.

If laptops are your THANG get one in the uk , play with it for a month or two, chuck as much money as you can afford into your purchase, and should doya for ages.

Steve
Totally agree, but only if it suits the person.
I too love my tower and wouldn't be without it. Laptops have a place for convenience only in our house.

I bought a 2nd hand IBM Thinkpad 240 for around $300 before leaving. It's tiny and lightweight (1.2Kg) which were important issues when flying with all your other possessions and restricted to 20/40Kgs by the airline.

Stick in a network or wireless card and you've got yourself a great web browser/email machine. The battery last 3-4 hours, it runs XP and has a 12G HD. If I need any more grunt or disk space I can run stuff through my tower, using the lappy as a thin client.

Ideal solution IMO.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Just a quick point: a laptop can also be hooked up to broadband non-wirelessly.

Most ADSL modems will have a USB or ethernet (LAN) port, which will plug straight into the laptop.

Obviously this restricts you from wandering around the house (unless you trail a really long LAN cable behind you), but it is an option if you

a. Dont want to spend a few extra bucks on a wireless router
b. You dont have wireless on your laptop.

If you decide to go with the wired option, always try to get an ethernet (LAN) connection: USB can be a pain, and since the laptop then has to run the drivers as well as whatever you what it to do, it can compromise performance (particularly for some games: your processor will be working on the game, and your broadband link may suffer).

Another advantage of a laptop no-one has mentioned is when your power goes down (a relatively common occurence in Australia, expecially during a storm), your laptop just switches to battery, giving you enough time to save your work. The glow from the screen also gives you some light to find that elusive torch or candle!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:16 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: PC ? or Laptop Purchase?

Originally Posted by ohippy
Not being nosey, well, ok, I am ! Why have you got 100 laptops to sell ?
I am doing some work for a company and noticed they had just upgraded a lot of their hardware and needed the older stuff disposed of.

Disposed is the technical term.......it does not mean it is all rubbish but computer hardware has to be dealt with properly. You cant just take it up the tip! The hard drives have to be wiped to a government standard and so on.

I am in talks with them (they have said we can take the lot) and just need to get it finalized. Hoping that there will be another 80 added to the original 100 too. We will then refurb them and install the original operating systems (which is mainly Windows 2000 & 98) that they were supplied with. Although they will all run fine on XP, but we just want to make them as cheap as possible for people and its up to them if they want to install a newer OS.

Ideal really for people travelling, students, kids homework or as a spare around the home as they take up no room at all really. Also, being older then your not too worried about them as you would be with a brand new one!

They will have a floppy drive, CD-ROM drive, and we hope to make sure they are all ready for either dial-up or broadband etc. People can have the docking station too if they like as there are plenty of them too.

Hopefully we should have them up for sale before Christmas.

R.