Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which pc do I get mother in law

which pc do I get mother in law

Old Aug 26th 2003, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which pc do I get mother in law

I have to get PC for my Mother in Law she has VERY little experience of PC's. She will intially be using this for internet, email, etc.

Any suggestions on what model/make i should sensibly be getting for her. I wanted a package with PC, Printer, Camera, software with full support backup.

We also need the same sort of thing out in aus for ourselves and our little boy (I am likely to need basic office applications).

Finally should I be telling her to get BT broadband or is there a better deal.

Sorry for the noddy questions but I am not techical or very familar with all of this as I connect presently to the internet either at work or through basic modem at home on works laptop which is going soon.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

James
Old Aug 26th 2003, 2:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

For the best type of deal in this case you need to look at the support first. The type of support that comes with a help desk for the noddy questions. Nope not being funny, I have been there when my mum moved to spain and got a laptop with email etc. Spent hours and pounds talking on her mobile to get her through turning on the computer and logging in. So it might be worth checking this first. The computers themselves as much of a muchness no point going for extras like speed or storage when the log on/off stage can be a hurdle. Ask around at your local dealers and check this type of support. The local college in Reading did computer courses and local libraries did internet support/info classes, free use of computers - check into these first before buying if you have the time. Also maybe try internet cafes - that way the person chatting to you can have a play first on their own with some help.

Making someone comfortable is much more important than the gear first. My Mum when showing her always said yes yes - until it came to doing it on her own!

We bought a Tiny package which was very good for what we needed, until the support centre sent me a letter signed 'F*%$ off' - hundreds of free software later we forgave them! Make sure your MIL is comfortable getting any help she needs.

Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking, the iMac, or its latest incarnation, the eMac, are considered to be the easiest home computers to use. First time you use them, you plug it in, turn it on and click two buttons, and there you are, connected to the internet.

Then, as long as she doesn't nonce it all up, all you have to do is click on the "connect me to the internet" button and you're off again. Don't forget to disconnect though!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

thanks sandra/bearskin,

I take the point on the support, looking at the PC world and dell websites the "how to" type questions seem out of scope unless on £1 per min premium line (PC world). I also need installation so i am thinking dell might be a good bet.

The basic machine plus printer, camera, microsoft XP, with 3 year on site support is looking like about a 1k.

Also now torn between digital camera and digital camcorder for us in Aus seems like the latter might be better, not sure.

James
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by james & bev
thanks sandra/bearskin,

I take the point on the support, looking at the PC world and dell websites the "how to" type questions seem out of scope unless on £1 per min premium line (PC world). I also need installation so i am thinking dell might be a good bet.

The basic machine plus printer, camera, microsoft XP, with 3 year on site support is looking like about a 1k.

Also now torn between digital camera and digital camcorder for us in Aus seems like the latter might be better, not sure.

James
1K seems about average - not that I like XP, windows 2000 has less bugs for me!

On the digital camera vs camcorder, I liked the thought of both - but bought camera when cost was put into play! Did my research for what I wanted and bought via singapore on way out. Have enjoyed it, as it get used for 'normal' pictures when we are out and about and is excellent for sending the odd shot back 'home', like us on the beach Christmas Morning! Took advice from friends who bought normal camcorder - bloody pain to organise and someone has to be shooting and missing out on just being there! Great for first few times, now theirs lives in understairs cupboard. The digital camera has all our normal pics - and we can sort the best and get them put in print to send back home when we can be bothered. To be honest these last few weeks with the house I went back to the 'normal camara' took lots of shots of new house $6.75 for processing 24 and sent the lot back - people not in digital age loved me!!! I am still wanting the digital camcorder but it would be for just for us - cause even with the 15/20 secs of film on the camera no one on 'home' email wants to download that much space or take the time. In my opinion start small and build up, it worked for us.

I maybe being a bit negative - I do not mean to be, I love the digital, but then I also love the boxes and boxes of photos I went through this last weekend! - ah memories!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:08 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: which pc do I get mother in law

I have to get PC for my Mother in Law she has VERY little experience of PC's. She will intially be using this for internet, email, etc.

Any suggestions on what model/make i should sensibly be getting for her. I wanted a package with PC, Printer, Camera, software with full support backup.

We also need the same sort of thing out in aus for ourselves and our little boy (I am likely to need basic office applications).

Finally should I be telling her to get BT broadband or is there a better deal.

Sorry for the noddy questions but I am not techical or very familar with all of this as I connect presently to the internet either at work or through basic modem at home on works laptop which is going soon.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

James
You've asked a sensible question here so let me ask you one....

What's the difference between in-laws and out-laws?

Answer: Outlaws are wanted. I can only assume that you are considering this idea of maintaining contact with the dragon-in -law because of:

a. Your wife is holding a gun to your head or,

b. You have taken leave of your senses
Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

chippy, i have seen your comments before and they have made me chuckle, and your obviously someone with a very wide and varied base on knowldge.

My own circumstanes are that I am not particularly close to my family more a friends person (I was the eldest of 4 boys and always seemed to be swimming against the tide other 3 ganging up on me) we get on well now though and all want to go to aus though I am the four runner (leave for sydney sept 25th)

The MIL question was slightly misleading as in reality I have to buy my mum and her mum one of these PC things and I don't want to get ripped off. I don't know whether BT broadband is a good deal or not or enough about PC's to know if I'm getting a good deal or not. Working on the basis that I know my dad's a tight arse and I have got to pay for this (advance birthday/christmas presents) I keen not to get stiched up given that I have gotta pay.

Ordinarily on mother-in-law stuff I'd agree with your in terms of guns to head or leave of senses, but there has been a great deal of debate in our house leading to our iminent imigration as I have wanted to do this for the last 4/5 years and Bev was previously undecided. So some time ago I made the decision to forget about it and not pressure her rather than frustate myself, hoping she'd come round. Last year when she said to me she wanted to go for it I went a bit coy and said ALRIGHT THEN!!. Subsequently given shes a big family person (mine and hers) and I am not I have decided to do whatever I can to make this easier and I think with a bit of effort this technology might help a bit.

What's everyone else think?? Did anyone else buy this web cam stuff and never use it or has it been invaluable??

what do you think??

cheers

James
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:05 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

chippy, i have seen your comments before and they have made me chuckle, and your obviously someone with a very wide and varied base on knowldge.

My own circumstanes are that I am not particularly close to my family more a friends person (I was the eldest of 4 boys and always seemed to be swimming against the tide other 3 ganging up on me) we get on well now though and all want to go to aus though I am the four runner (leave for sydney sept 25th)

The MIL question was slightly misleading as in reality I have to buy my mum and her mum one of these PC things and I don't want to get ripped off. I don't know whether BT broadband is a good deal or not or enough about PC's to know if I'm getting a good deal or not. Working on the basis that I know my dad's a tight arse and I have got to pay for this (advance birthday/christmas presents) I keen not to get stiched up given that I have gotta pay.

Ordinarily on mother-in-law stuff I'd agree with your in terms of guns to head or leave of senses, but there has been a great deal of debate in our house leading to our iminent imigration as I have wanted to do this for the last 4/5 years and Bev was previously undecided. So some time ago I made the decision to forget about it and not pressure her rather than frustate myself, hoping she'd come round. Last year when she said to me she wanted to go for it I went a bit coy and said ALRIGHT THEN!!. Subsequently given shes a big family person (mine and hers) and I am not I have decided to do whatever I can to make this easier and I think with a bit of effort this technology might help a bit.

What's everyone else think?? Did anyone else buy this web cam stuff and never use it or has it been invaluable??

what do you think??

cheers

James
If you do indeed go ahead with your proposals, never let it be said that you have'nt tried your best for the Mothers' in the regard of providing them with computers/web cams etc.

I feel it is a very expensive placation though, and one that may not really be appreciated, even in the fullness of time. I wish you luck with this, women, especially MIL's are hard to please.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

go down to your local computer shop; not pc world or time
your local computer one man band shop
ask him to build you a simple pc 1.3ghz amd processor £40,
mother board with onboard graphics and sound for about 50 quid, 256mb ram£40, 20gig hard drive 5200rpm£40, the normal cd drive and floppy dirve speakers keyboard and mouse for about 35quid
and a 17inch monitor for about 70 quid ask him to put windows on for ya £70, all this shouldnt cost more that £350

or go to time and waist your 600-700 pounds on a crap system that your mum will never use to its full Potential

or

build your own pc

good sites to get parts from

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/k.asp
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:23 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

James
Chippy is right. Having spent time overseas I found the only reliable and acceptable way of communicating with family was to write a letter and send some photos. My parents nor my wife's would ever effectivily use new technology. They both still go to the bank and have never used ATM's.

Learn how to write letters again, and send those photos. They'll like that much better than any whizz-bang technology.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks sandra/bearskin,

James
Hi

We bought a digital camcorder which also has a memory card for still photos. It is JVC mini DV and really small so is practical as a camera only or whatever you want to use it for (only downside is that it does not have as many pixels as most digital cameras).

With respect to the earlier question re. BT Broadband, at the moment we have NTL phone/TV/broadband package for around 45 pounds a month and you don't need to buy a modem! Apart from many 'teething' problems with the initial set up, we have been trouble free since and I would recommend it.

Regards
Dawn
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Diane&Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Bussie. If you want a good cheap system get your local one man band to build it. You don't need the fastest best machine. Most software runs on 400 Mhz computer with 64Meg memory so a nice 1.3Ghz (AMD Athlon) with 256 Meg memory is more than sufficient for the next few years UNLESS you are running the latest games. Price should come in under £500.

Ive just built one for Father in Law with parts from ebuyer.com.
2Gig Athlon, 256 Meg memory, 40Gig very fast Hard drive, geforce 2 video card, scanner, printer, speakers, case £376 inc VAT.

problem was teaching him. he was very good but needed 2 weeks support virtually daily. Suggest your in laws use Library courses first to find if they like using PC's. Wife's parents really like their PC and use it a lot but mine are much less enthusiastic

Hope this helps

Bob
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Diane&Bob
I agree with Bussie. If you want a good cheap system get your local one man band to build it. You don't need the fastest best machine. Most software runs on 400 Mhz computer with 64Meg memory so a nice 1.3Ghz (AMD Athlon) with 256 Meg memory is more than sufficient for the next few years UNLESS you are running the latest games. Price should come in under £500.

Ive just built one for Father in Law with parts from ebuyer.com.
2Gig Athlon, 256 Meg memory, 40Gig very fast Hard drive, geforce 2 video card, scanner, printer, speakers, case £376 inc VAT.

problem was teaching him. he was very good but needed 2 weeks support virtually daily. Suggest your in laws use Library courses first to find if they like using PC's. Wife's parents really like their PC and use it a lot but mine are much less enthusiastic

Hope this helps

Bob
I'm just going to get the mil a new broom and she can visit at her leisure.
On a more serious note we're leaving our sons PC with them it's got all the necessary software loaded for chatting and web etc. it's an old AMDk600 3gig hd and 128megs of memory. I've left it configured to auto update the virus software until 2005 and it defrags and scandisks etc monthly. They should have no problems providing they don't open any attachments. We've shown them how to upload pics to yahoo and we plan to do likewise, thus avoiding the need to send attachments. You can start a group and make it private so only yourselves can view the pics. Can't be to careful virus wise nowadays
Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Get her one that doesn't work (tee hee)
Old Aug 27th 2003, 2:36 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Florida_03
Learn how to write letters again, and send those photos. They'll like that much better than any whizz-bang technology.
Not necessarily. I had an emailed photo from my mother this morning of a mug she had for her birthday. She loves sending photos of my nephew and nieces too.

I can print the good photos and file the rest.

Much better than snail-mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.