Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PB Tabloid: Eurostar's 208mph record

Wikiposts

PB Tabloid: Eurostar's 208mph record

Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

The UK does not just consist of London, wow you can get to paris by train in however short a time it takes, yet the east coast main line is not electrified north of Edinburgh and will not be in the near future leaving most of scotland with a rail system one step up from steam! Now i know you are all going to come back at me with "well Scotland doesnt matter" you are entitled to your opinion but those of you so desperate to return to the UK may well find services in more rural areas not to the standard you expect from reading press reports whose idea of the UK is London.

Lynn
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

A EUROSTAR train reached 208mph to smash the UK speed record yesterday — but it was still late.

Yeah the French only beat us to it 15 YEARS AGO. How sad is that for England. Their trains reach something like 100km faster than ours.

And remember there is probably only 1 train that can go this fast!!They didn't mention that did they ?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the rail industry & can tell you that the network is knackered. The amount of investment needed is scary (good news for those of us in engineering). For example the project that I am working on is to upgrade the power supply to the network in the south east because the new trains that are being delivered draw too much current & overheat the transformers (how's that for planning, currently there are 100's of brand new state of the art trains sitting in sidings rusting away), it's going to cost 1 billion plus to rectify.
The channel tunnel link is a project that is politically motivated prestigious project & thus is getting the funding needed.
Crossrail is a brilliant scheme that has been off & on for at least 15 years & is expected to cost 7 billion plus & it is yet to be seen if the funding will be there.
It is yet to be seen if the network will get what it needs, the government talks big but has yet to put it's money where it's mouth is.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:42 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurostar's 208mph record

The mark was set during a test run along a section of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, a new line being built between the Tunnel mouth and London.

The previous record was 162.2 mph, set in 1979. The world record, set by a French TGV train in 1990, is 322 mph.
Eurostar trains will not be able to break records in normal service -- with the extra weight of passengers to carry -- but the company said they should be able to touch 186 mph, which would cut journey times from London to Paris, Lille and Brussels by 20 minutes.
Heres another look at the new record. We ain't been able to better it since 1979. The French kicked our butts 13 years ago. The train won't really be able to go that fast.

Don't get me wrong I am proud to be British but our rail and transport network sucks. Take this from someone who travels around 30000 miles per year

Matt
Old Jul 31st 2003, 1:45 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lynnj
The UK does not just consist of London, wow you can get to paris by train in however short a time it takes, yet the east coast main line is not electrified north of Edinburgh and will not be in the near future leaving most of scotland with a rail system one step up from steam! Now i know you are all going to come back at me with "well Scotland doesnt matter" you are entitled to your opinion but those of you so desperate to return to the UK may well find services in more rural areas not to the standard you expect from reading press reports whose idea of the UK is London.

Lynn
Electric is not necessarily superiour... The power goes out and all the trains stop. At least when one train breaks down now, the others can be rerouted.

The first part of my journey is shared with electric trains, and they suck big time. The sooner they all go back to diesel the better

A suppose electric lines with inbuilt redundency would be nice but it doesn't seem to happen.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 1:46 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tinaj
A EUROSTAR train reached 208mph to smash the UK speed record yesterday — but it was still late.

Yeah the French only beat us to it 15 YEARS AGO. How sad is that for England. Their trains reach something like 100km faster than ours.

And remember there is probably only 1 train that can go this fast!!They didn't mention that did they ?
No, it is ANY Eurostar on that line. The limitations in this country are because of the old tracks, not the trains.

Trains have to slow for curves. We have a lot of them. The French don't.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Sorry God you're getting too technical for me, i guess we are all agreed though, why the hell spend so much money for fast trains to Paris when your domestic service is in such a state, i guess 200mph cross border doesnt sound so good in the international press does it? It wouldnt make Britain look so impression in the eyes of the world.

Lynn
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:36 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lynnj
Sorry God you're getting too technical for me, i guess we are all agreed though, why the hell spend so much money for fast trains to Paris when your domestic service is in such a state, i guess 200mph cross border doesnt sound so good in the international press does it? It wouldnt make Britain look so impression in the eyes of the world.

Lynn
Apparently the French PM thought it was great! You could have a high-speed run through France, and then a "lesuirely ride" though England to enjoy the countryside

Of course I use to work in Reading and even saw Japanese tourists taking photos of the arrivals board because they couldn't believe that half of them were late!!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:00 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Of course I use to work in Reading and even saw Japanese tourists taking photos of the arrivals board because they couldn't believe that half of them were late!!
I saw some Brits taking photos because they couldn't believe that ONLY half were late.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 9:28 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

It wasn't only the Eurostar that was late - I was meant to be working over in France when they did the run - they had to clear the line of all other traffic and I was stuck in the lanes at the terminal for an hour and a half while they played their little games!

Moan moan whinge whinge (but not too much....)

Perry
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:29 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by porkchop
Originally posted by pommie bastard
You jest South of the river in Perth is no mans land and trains interstate are not worth using , again you show how naive you are .
The Northern line is good but the population have been forced to bunch together to live near it , Perth is a small city connected to nowhere this line connects London to Paris a major engineering project nothing in Australia compares to it.

What about the construction of the $1.4billion rail link between Perth and Mandurah?

PC

That compares to the channel tunnel , grow up , this line is already been labeled a dead duck.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 31st 2003 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:32 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Typical Pom loser , quote me an Australia train to come near to the British record?

Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:36 pm
Banned

Originally posted by h garrett
Heres another look at the new record. We ain't been able to better it since 1979. The French kicked our butts 13 years ago. The train won't really be able to go that fast.

Don't get me wrong I am proud to be British but our rail and transport network sucks. Take this from someone who travels around 30000 miles per year

Matt
If want to play bragging which Engines powered the worlds fastest passenger airplane not French as your first clue.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 31st 2003 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:33 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Amazulu
I work in the rail industry & can tell you that the network is knackered. The amount of investment needed is scary (good news for those of us in engineering). For example the project that I am working on is to upgrade the power supply to the network in the south east because the new trains that are being delivered draw too much current & overheat the transformers (how's that for planning, currently there are 100's of brand new state of the art trains sitting in sidings rusting away), it's going to cost 1 billion plus to rectify.
The channel tunnel link is a project that is politically motivated prestigious project & thus is getting the funding needed.
Crossrail is a brilliant scheme that has been off & on for at least 15 years & is expected to cost 7 billion plus & it is yet to be seen if the funding will be there.
It is yet to be seen if the network will get what it needs, the government talks big but has yet to put it's money where it's mouth is.

Well you should have fun in Australia same crap different place.

RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENT IS CRITICAL TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A
SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT SYSTEM THROUGHOUT AUSTRALIA.

The major rail investment requirement is full funding of the
Australian Rail Track Corporation's Interstate Rail Network Audit
undertaken at the request of federal transport minister. The Audit
recommended investing $507 million in the interstate rail network. In
reality, a further $257 million more than the government's existing
commitment to the interstae rail network (including $111 million
equity injection into the ARTC (Australian Rail Track Company) that
was part of its election policy) is required.

IN SIMPLE TERMS, A $507 MILLION INVESTMENT IN AUSTRALIA'S INTERSTATE
RAIL NETWORK WOULD RETURN $1.5 BILLION IN ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND
ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS INCLUDING REDUCED COSTS TO CUSTOMERS, REDUCED
ROAD WEAR AND TEAR, FEWER ROAD CRASHES AND REDUCED POLLUTION AND
GREENHOUSE EMISSIONS.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/keretapi/message/2043

Our country faces serious transport challenges that we need to be better equipped to address. A few figures make this point clear:

by 2020, the land freight task — both road and rail — will have doubled and the passenger task will have grown by 50 percent;
road freight will double over the next 15 years;;exports will increase 50 percent over the next eight years;

the costs of congestion in our major cities are forecast to rise from around $13 billion annually in recent years to $30 billion annually by 2015; and

transport greenhouse emissions are forecast to increase by almost 40 percent over the next 20 years — with road transport and travel accounting for 85 percent of those emissions.

http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j.../as20_2002.htm

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...864552574.html

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 31st 2003 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:23 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I saw some Brits taking photos because they couldn't believe that ONLY half were late.

That has me almost pissing myself. Sounds like you have dealt with First Great Western as well!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.