Wikiposts

PB was Right !!

Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We came back to perth after a visit 3 yrs ago now , i have rellies here , seemed as said before a good place to start. To be honest we are ok here at the moment , but we have always wanted to head south , but there is no work . My uncle is in Albany beautiful just no work , and my cousin lives in Manjimup , back of beyond . We love margret river , denmark , busselton , yallingup , but again no bloody work down there. So we will stop put , especially as son is now hitting options etc at school , they need stability. But if we didnt have kids or they were smaller , then like Kararwra we would def move on and try somewhere else.
Joanne xx
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:09 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
Could i just ask,

all those people who have gone to perth and now class it as the arse end of the universe,

what was your reason for choosing perth over other australian cities?

was it because you already had family/friends there
was it because it is the closest city in aus to the uk
was it because of the laid back behind the times lifestyle
was it because the houses are cheaper than other state capitals
was it because you had visited before and liked it

or was there another reason to choose it, and what really are your reasons for now viewing it as the worse place on the planet?

I'm not trying to get at anyone, take the piss or anything i am just interested.

Lynn
I'll answer this as someone who doesn't class Perth as the arse end of the universe. I've been here 7 months.

=====================================

Got a few friends here, but that didn't influence our decision.

No, but if you fly Emirates it does mean a significantly easier journey.

It's laid back alright but I don't think it's behind the times.

If being up with the times means keeping up with the joenses, worrying about having a new car, driving aggresively all the time, being judged by your middle class/mockney/regional accent then I'll take "behind the times" and do my best to keep it that way.

=======================================

This was more the case about a year ago but prices for the really nice houses by the sea in good suburbs have skyrocketed. 25% in Ocean Reef in the last year.

Yes, I'd been here twice before, 8 moths as a backpacker in the late 80's and once for a couple of weeks in 1995.

I think it's funny how people dismiss Perth as isolated. The whole bloody country is isolated. Do you hear people say about NZ for example "I'm not going there, it's too isolated"?

Anyway, I like isolated, less chance of getting nuked.

The main reasons why I like it here are

1) I live in a Massive house with a pool by the sea.
2) The weather is great (even though it does rain a lot and get cold in winter)
3) I've got a great job.
4) The City is incredibly beautiful, with Kings Park, the river and great beaches.
5) I can take the family on great "family" holidays like the time we went to Ningaloo and we all snorkeled over pristine coral reefs.

Or the time my wife and boy snorkelled with wild seals in Jurien.

Or the fact that I see dolphins all the time in the Swan River or off the harbour at O. Reef.

Or seeing breeching humpback whales up really close from the shore at Albany.

So if you don't like the sound of all that then maybe WA is the "arse end of the planet" & "too isolated" & you'd be better off in the rat race in Sydney or "4 seasons in one day" Melbourne.

Brizzy is nice though - I could live there.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by renth
I'll answer this as someone who doesn't class Perth as the arse end of the universe. I've been here 7 months.

Got a few friends here, but that didn't influence our decision.

No, but if you fly Emirates it does mean a significantly easier journey.

It's laid back alright but I don't think it's behind the times.

If being up with the times means keeping up with the joenses, worrying about having a new car, driving aggresively all the time, being judged by your middle class/mockney/regional accent then I'll take "behind the times" and do my best to keep it that way.

This was more the case about a year ago but prices for the really nice houses by the sea in good suburbs have skyrocketed. 25% in Ocean Reef in the last year.

Yes, I'd been here twice before, 8 moths as a backpacker in the late 80's and once for a couple of weeks in 1995.

I think it's funny how people dismiss Perth as isolated. The whole bloody country is isolated. Do you hear people say about NZ for example "I'm not going there, it's too isolated"?

Anyway, I like isolated, less chance of getting nuked.

The main reasons why I like it here are

1) I live in a Massive house with a pool by the sea.
2) The weather is great (even though it does rain a lot and get cold in winter)
3) I've got a great job.
4) The City is incredibly beautiful, with Kings Park, the river and great beaches.
5) I can take the family on great "family" holidays like the time we went to Ningaloo and we all snorkeled over pristine coral reefs.

Or the time my wife and boy snorkelled with wild seals in Jurien.

Or the fact that I see dolphins all the time in the Swan River or off the harbour at O. Reef.

Or seeing breeching humpback whales up really close from the shore at Albany.

So if you don't like the sound of all that then maybe WA is the "arse end of the planet" & "too isolated" & you'd be better off in the rat race in Sydney or "4 seasons in one day" Melbourne.

Brizzy is nice though - I could live there.

I am not being rude here because I think Renths posts are very valuable to this forum. However, for the life of me I cannot work out how seeing a dolphin or a seal can make somewhere a great place to live?? Not just Renth has said this, I see nature every day here, at the moment a lovely green tree snake is wrapped around my verandah rails but does that make my life complete, same as having a nice looking beach nearby, great but its not a life is it? Am I missing something here?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
I am not being rude here because I think Renths posts are very valuable to this forum. However, for the life of me I cannot work out how seeing a dolphin or a seal can make somewhere a great place to live?? Not just Renth has said this, I see nature every day here, at the moment a lovely green tree snake is wrapped around my verandah rails but does that make my life complete, same as having a nice looking beach nearby, great but its not a life is it? Am I missing something here?
Must be good for dog owners as the dogs have different wildlife to chase and kill.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Watchou talkin 'bout Willis?

sorry Dotty, I meant Different Strokes for Different Folks!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:22 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Where's the cane?
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes renth, this forum is making me feel abnormal.

Like according to 99% of future detainees I am supposed to be in raptures everyday cause I have a few kangaroos chewing up me lawn, and in heaven cause the 100 metres of beach I can swim in is only just up the road.

Think living in London, Vancouver, etc spoilt me, I must need more out of life, I have a constant need for new brain stimulation and OZ bores the pants off me. Plus I know bloody well if I stuck pictures of my life in a pommie magazine people would be wetting themselves, however for me its very boring, so does that make me an ungrateful so and so or what

Perhaps I am not Aussie enough, most people we meet are on the hippy weed or valium, maybe I need something to kick the Life out of me! Pass some drugs please I need calming down
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney has a bit of Brain food. The melanoma state not doing it for you Dotty?

Like according to 99% of future detainees I am supposed to be in raptures everyday cause I have a few kangaroos chewing up me lawn, and in heaven cause the 100 metres of beach I can swim in is only just up the road.

Think living in London, Vancouver, etc spoilt me, I must need more out of life, I have a constant need for new brain stimulation and OZ bores the pants off me. Plus I know bloody well if I stuck pictures of my life in a pommie magazine people would be wetting themselves, however for me its very boring, so does that make me an ungrateful so and so or what

Perhaps I am not Aussie enough, most people we meet are on the hippy weed or valium, maybe I need something to kick the Life out of me! Pass some drugs please I need calming down
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
Sydney has a bit of Brain food. The melanoma state not doing it for you Dotty?
Quite liked Melbourne, except basically it has the same grotty areas, crime and cold wet winters as any UK city.

Must look on Bright side, Melanoma State is V.good compared to Perth, husband claims I would be a basket case there, the idiot put me on a mailing list for tours of the Outback, so funny not.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Must look on Bright side, Melanoma State is V.good compared to Perth, husband claims I would be a basket case there, the idiot put me on a mailing list for tours of the Outback, so funny not.
That must be grounds for divorce.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Not for you "the mind-stretching expanses of nothingness and eerie quiet, where a person can sit perfectly still and look deep inside themselves to the core of their essence, their reasons for being, and the necessity of checking inside your boots every morning for fatal surprises"? (Douglas Adams, seeker the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything, regretably disassembled to star dust)
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:50 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
I just do not have the paitence to drive at 66mph on long stretches of open road playing catch the camper.

Must have been behind a crappy camper. We never did less than 98 in ours - over that and it started to make a funny noise!

OK fair point. Camping and camper vans aren't for everyone. But living in one, camping where there are no other people, cooking on the gas hob thing.....it's a great feeling. A tad scary (I've read far too many Stephen King books for it not to be) but a great feeling none the less.

I heard the train ride across the Nullabor is great. Didn't Bill Bryson do it in his book?

Oh well, Karawara88 - I'm sure you'll find somewhere nice to settle in Oz......we're off to see the Wizard........good luck!

V
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:52 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Pass some drugs please I need calming down

According to Ceri in her "sexing up Australia" thread (I think it was that one) she said there were no drugs. You'll have to grown your own dotty!

V
Old Sep 18th 2003, 9:19 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Not for you "the mind-stretching expanses of nothingness and eerie quiet, where a person can sit perfectly still and look deep inside themselves to the core of their essence, their reasons for being, and the necessity of checking inside your boots every morning for fatal surprises"? (Douglas Adams, seeker the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything, regretably disassembled to star dust)
Thats if she could ,pull her head out of her arse ,long enough to appreciate it, i think the inside of "HARRODS" holds more wonders for Dotty than , the outback........... MM
Old Sep 18th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Vee
According to Ceri in her "sexing up Australia" thread (I think it was that one) she said there were no drugs. You'll have to grown your own dotty!

V
She was being sarcastic, tongue in cheek, what drugs do you want they are all here, shock horror aussies take drugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.