Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Payments from US and UK

Payments from US and UK

Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:36 pm
Ian ORourke

Default Payments from US and UK

It's come to pass that my financial situation has got a bit more complicated.

When I move to Australia I will be receiving payments for freelance writing, and consultation work (I'll have to invoice my old company).

Anyone done this? And are they aware of any issues?

For instance, do I need to set-up my own ltd company to raise invoiced and the like?

Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Payments from US and UK

Originally posted by Ian ORourke

When I move to Australia I will be receiving payments for freelance writing, and consultation work (I'll have to invoice my old company).

For instance, do I need to set-up my own ltd company to raise invoiced and the like?
I can't see any difficulties. You'll be tax resident in Australia and have to pay Aus income tax on your income, full stop.

Better research what tax breaks there are, eg home working.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:30 pm
Ian ORourke

Yeah, the basics are: I get the income, I declare it.

It's some of the specifics I get lost on: Will I have to work as a contractor under a public limited company in Australia - or can I just send my old employer and invoice (made it up in Word), file it and declare the money?

I will take extra advice, as I may be able to put costs against the amount for tax purposes (the international calls, consumables, etc). Who knows.

Just wondered if anyone had done it so to speak.

My tax situation is simple in the UK at the moment, it's all PAYE. In Australia, stuff like this contract work won't be taxed at source, so I'll have to 'spend it' being aware there is a tax bill coming for much later....going to do my head in

Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Paid as royalty (passive income) to Aus company: US withholding tax 10% (credited agaont Aus Co tax). Aus tax on retained profits (ie after expenses) 30%. Individual tax rate on dividends or wages paid from Co.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:43 pm
Ian ORourke

Originally posted by Megalania
Paid as royalty (passive income) to Aus company: US withholding tax 10% (credited agaont Aus Co tax). Aus tax on retained profits (ie after expenses) 30%. Individual tax rate on dividends or wages paid from Co.
Err, that makes no sense whatsoever to me, but over my head

Both sources of income are 'work for hire' arrgenements, its just the freelance writing doesn't involve an invoice. At the moment any freelance writing work paid to me by a US company has no US tax (though I should declare it for UK purposes). There also is no Aus company, there is just me - or readings between the lines is that a suggestion 'I' need to be a company to do this?

We shall see how it works when I query the accountants.

Last edited by Ian ORourke; Jul 28th 2004 at 8:46 pm.

Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:09 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Err, that makes no sense whatsoever to me, but over my head

Both sources of income are 'work for hire' arrgenements, its just the freelance writing doesn't involve an invoice. At the moment any freelance writing work paid to me by a US company has no US tax (though I should declare it for UK purposes). There also is no Aus company, there is just me - or readings between the lines is that a suggestion 'I' need to be a company to do this?

We shall see how it works when I query the accountants.
"Work for Hire" = you're stuffed - cough up or we squeeze your ...

"Passive Income" = royalties = business tax flexibility.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

With all due respect to the other posters in this thread, I would highly advise getting an accountant knowledgable in multi-national tax laws.

My wife is going to go into business herself in Australi while being affiliated with a US company. The IRS can be nasty if they feel you're trying to escape what they think is their due. She'd rather spend the money on said accountant than find herself with an IRS warrant the moment she visits the US again.

Mike
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:27 am
Ian ORourke

Oh I agree, in fact in virtually all my posts I've said this is what I am doing, but some sort of 'I've don this before advice' in my head for when that process begins might have been useful.

But yeah, get proper advise, no problem on that one.