Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paying for things over $5000

Paying for things over $5000

Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying for things over $5000

How in the name of god do Australians manage to pay for things costing over $5000?

I've just had an argument with a nice, but useless guy from HSBC Australia, I want to make an electronic payment for the balance of a car I am picking up on Saturday (the day we arrive in Aus) and there is a daily limit of $5000!

A bankers draft is probably not a option because its a Saturday...
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:12 am
owieb

Default Re: Paying for things over $5000

Originally Posted by PaulDClark
How in the name of god do Australians manage to pay for things costing over $5000?

I've just had an argument with a nice, but useless guy from HSBC Australia, I want to make an electronic payment for the balance of a car I am picking up on Saturday (the day we arrive in Aus) and there is a daily limit of $5000!

You can normally get limits increased, but I guess each bank has different limits. I have an account with Commonwealth and have a limit of $10K a day (so that I can pay the ATO and transfer money between other accounts. Our WestPac account has a daily $5K so if I need to do any big transfers I do it over several days.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I used a bankers draft to pay for my car. You may find similiar limits in the UK to prevent the damage done by phishing scammers. Barclays in the UK had a 3000gbp limit.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We rented a car for the first couple of weeks but when we bought a car we had to go to the HSBC to arrange a Telegraphic Transfer/Demand draft. With that receipt we could drive away the car. We didn't have a cheque book then though. I've used cheques for large amounts in the meantime.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

I don't suppose you know what the banking hours are in Australia for HSBC by any chance? If they are open Saturday morning I might be OK...
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:26 am
ABCDiamond

Does the Car Dealer have BPay facility ?

I am sure that someone at HSBC should be able to advise you better. I've done various payments over $5,000 and up to $20,000 through them, and all done electronically, via Internet Banking, not EFTPOS.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, just checked. They're not open on Saturdays.

They're open:

Mon - Thurs - 9.30 to 16.00

Fri - 9.30 - 17.00

Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

I've just asked the dealer if they have Bpay, which has a limit of $20,000 a day and they will be getting back to me. He's actually offered to lend me a car for a couple of days if the worst comes to the worst.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help all, I'm going to fax the Adelaide HSBC Branch directly, to cut out the middleman and see what they suggest.

I have to say that as I go through the process of migrating that the big stuff tends to be a hell of a lot easier than the details, everything I've got hung up on so far has turned out to be something that I didn't ever think would be a problem. Anyone else found this?

Paul
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We had numerous problems with HSBC over this when we arrived. The internet transfer limit is also $5000 a day so that does not help and EPFTPOS is only $1000 a day!! In the end we had to drive 80k to Brisbane to get Bankers Drafts done when we bought large items.

Yesterday I wanted to pay for an airline ticket and couldn't use visa as they charge 1%, no EFPTOS as the limit is $1000 so I had to use a cheque!! Some of the limits out here are mad
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a similar position: we arrive 26th Sept and should be picking up a car the next day. I had assumed I could internet the money across. Now it appears that the limits in Oz are so small as to be unuseable!