Paying Tax

Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Paying Tax

Hi, I read one person's account of their new life Down Under and they said you have to do your own tax returns...call me thick but does this mean that your wages don't include tax already? ie if I saw a job advertised at $40'000 does this mean i have to pay tax out of it myself? (whereas in the UK the employer pays it so you know it's %x off your wage).

cheers!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:59 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Tax

Originally Posted by seanyg
Hi, I read one person's account of their new life Down Under and they said you have to do your own tax returns...call me thick but does this mean that your wages don't include tax already? ie if I saw a job advertised at $40'000 does this mean i have to pay tax out of it myself? (whereas in the UK the employer pays it so you know it's %x off your wage).

cheers!
??

In the UK you still pay your own tax, its just the employer deducts it for you and sends it off to the inland revenue.

UK its called PAYE (pay as you earn)
OZ its called PAYG (pay as you go)

Your tax returns are dead easy - they only become more complicated when you have more complicated financial arrangements.

Check out the ATO website for further info. www.ato.gov.au

Its actually a better system over here but you just have to get yourself familar with all the allowances etc.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

thanks - i was probably confusing myself i think! never done tax returns before, i hate all that paperwork normally but i guess the aussies have a more straightforward way - less bureaucracy hopefully?!

:-)
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - i was probably confusing myself i think! never done tax returns before, i hate all that paperwork normally but i guess the aussies have a more straightforward way - less bureaucracy hopefully?!

You can employ a tax accountant to do your returns, cost about $100 and you can claim their fee back on the next years return.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:45 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
You can employ a tax accountant to do your returns, cost about $100 and you can claim their fee back on the next years return.
If you deal feel the need to get a tax accountant, watch what they complete (keep a copy for your own records) then complete yourself next year. That is of course if it is just a simple employment with a few negative rental properties

Then treat yourself to a $100 night out
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
If you deal feel the need to get a tax accountant, watch what they complete (keep a copy for your own records) then complete yourself next year. That is of course if it is just a simple employment with a few negative rental properties

Then treat yourself to a $100 night out

Yep, that's what I'm going to be doing In fact I'm spending my $70 tonight (that's all it cost me)
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear every time i come on this site i realise there is something else I need to sort out, the list is endless. I did not know about tax returns thanks for info though
Old Dec 15th 2007, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry, you wont have to do a tax return until after 1 July next year and if, like me, you are incredibly lazy and procrastinate a lot, you dont actually have to get it in until 30 October. Many of us just put in the return on line these days with straightforward claims. Not hard, really, just a time consuming bore!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The ATO online question and answer tax return is miles better than the attempts of the Inland Revenue in the UK. You just download the current version and click through it page by page: at the end you can print out a copy for your records and submit it with a click. If you're due a refund it comes in about ten days.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not more straightforward - what could be more straightforward than having to do nothing (as in the UK) and letting the Inland Revenue work out how much you have over/under paid.

Having said that if your tax matters are simple then so is your tax return. I do think though that the tax system here has the potential to be extremely complicated but its also a bit of an annual sporting event - working out just how much you can feasibly claim back. The rules are SO complex for some things that you will need an accountant or tax agent.

Do you have a work uniform? Did you wash it in hot or cold water? Honestly, this affects how much tax you pay!!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>It's certainly not more straightforward - what could be more straightforward than having to do nothing (as in the UK) and letting the Inland Revenue work out how much you have over/under paid.<<

But you have to enter a tax return in the UK so what's the difference?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Never, ever had to complete a tax return in the UK myself. I went to work, I got paid, I paid taxes....if I paid too much or too little IR let me know. Never had cause to involve a 'tax agent' or similar.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>It's certainly not more straightforward - what could be more straightforward than having to do nothing (as in the UK) and letting the Inland Revenue work out how much you have over/under paid.<<

Only higher paid, stangely paid or directors have to complete one back home. Here everyone and their cat has to do one. The majority of working people in the UK don't have to do anything as it's all done for them. For me it was no shock and not hard as I've had to do it for years.

The missus on the other hand..............Got a bit of a shock.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Never, ever had to complete a tax return in the UK myself. I went to work, I got paid, I paid taxes....if I paid too much or too little IR let me know. Never had cause to involve a 'tax agent' or similar.
And you TRUSTED them to get it right? They overcharged us every single year.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I did my first Oz tax return as a 15 year old. They are p*ss easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.