Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

paying for school fees on 457 visa

paying for school fees on 457 visa

Old May 3rd 2010, 10:50 am
Just Joined

herewecome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paying for school fees on 457 visa

Hi can someone confirm with me whether we have to pay school fees at a public school in NSW? I have heard that you have to pay 4500 per child for the year is this true?
Thanks
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: paying for school fees on 457 visa

Originally Posted by herewecome
Hi can someone confirm with me whether we have to pay school fees at a public school in NSW? I have heard that you have to pay 4500 per child for the year is this true?
Thanks
Yes, that is correct. In some states you don't pay, but in NSW you do have to. SORRY!!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Yes. Quite true.

Details of which visas require you to pay school fees is here:

http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu....schedvisas.pdf
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
$4500 + their admin fee (plus any school fees).

$5500 + admin fee for children in Years 11 and 12 (plus any school fees).

If you then get PR granted, you can claim the fees (not including the admin fee) back on a pro rata basis. I hope ours comes through soon!!

You also have to fill in an application form, both for the school and for the state government. On the state form, you need to get the Principal of your intended school to sign to confirm that there is a place available for your child.

If your child is under a certain age, the Principal also has to sign to say they've seen complete immunisation records - I don't know what the age is as this wasn't applicable to my remaining school age child (who is 15). I think it may be under Year 6 but that would be something you'd have to check to see if it applies to you.

With some firms you can negotiate them paying the fees for you - when we initially came out here on our 457, if we'd come to Sydney they would have paid fees (and with 3 kids at the time this would have been a substantial amount) but in the end we went to Queensland where it doesn't apply. When OH then got a job with another employer here in NSW, he mentioned the fees and they weren't interested However they have sponsored us for PR so it hopefully isn't going to be an issue for us again!
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

The school will also expect you to pay the same amount as everyone else for art supplies, photocopying etc. as the fees go to the government, not to them. This seems to vary around the $300/400 per year mark; some of it is a "voluntary contribution" but some isn't and it's not like the UK where your child cannot legally be excluded from something if you can't afford to/won't pay.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
The school will also expect you to pay the same amount as everyone else for art supplies, photocopying etc. as the fees go to the government, not to them. This seems to vary around the $300/400 per year mark; some of it is a "voluntary contribution" but some isn't and it's not like the UK where your child cannot legally be excluded from something if you can't afford to/won't pay.
Also, you can pay the amount in installments which is very handy!!! We are on a 457 and currently pay full childcare costs ($1425pcm) and so can't save $5000 easily, but now we know we can pay in installments ($400pcm) it almost comes across as a saving!!!
Old May 4th 2010, 2:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Also, you can pay the amount in installments which is very handy!!! We are on a 457 and currently pay full childcare costs ($1425pcm) and so can't save $5000 easily, but now we know we can pay in installments ($400pcm) it almost comes across as a saving!!!
ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! My bloody wife has just really annoyed me!! She said she had checked all the references and found out about this 'pay in installments' and I didn't need to check because she knew she was right and was fed up of me always double checking things.
So......guess what I did!!!
I thought with my previous post someone may want the reference myself so....Checked out her 'references' and the part she was reading but obviously not flipping understanding properley was referring to everyday normal school term fees for day trips, resources etc etc!!! GRRRRRRR

I think we may have the first Divorce on BE!!!!!

So, my humblest apologies to those reading my previous post...its wrong, all wrong, complete rubbish.....sorry!
Old May 4th 2010, 3:10 am
Social Grenade Thrower

So, my humblest apologies to those reading my previous post...its wrong, all wrong, complete rubbish.....sorry!
Here is the official document outlining policy and fees.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
trp_feespayment.pdf (113.4 KB, 353 views)
Old May 4th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! My bloody wife has just really annoyed me!! She said she had checked all the references and found out about this 'pay in installments' and I didn't need to check because she knew she was right and was fed up of me always double checking things.
So......guess what I did!!!
I thought with my previous post someone may want the reference myself so....Checked out her 'references' and the part she was reading but obviously not flipping understanding properley was referring to everyday normal school term fees for day trips, resources etc etc!!! GRRRRRRR

I think we may have the first Divorce on BE!!!!!

I can't remember if you're here with a view to eventually getting PR or not, but if not why not look at private schools. You will find some where the fees aren't much more than the $4,500 you have to pay the government, at least in the K-2 age group, and you CAN pay private school fees termly. I think Catholic schools actually work out cheaper than the government fee. Obviously if you're intending to stay long term you may not want to do that as eventually public schooling will be free for you.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I can't remember if you're here with a view to eventually getting PR or not, but if not why not look at private schools. You will find some where the fees aren't much more than the $4,500 you have to pay the government, at least in the K-2 age group, and you CAN pay private school fees termly. I think Catholic schools actually work out cheaper than the government fee. Obviously if you're intending to stay long term you may not want to do that as eventually public schooling will be free for you.
Yes I am looking at that, but have approached my company to pay as its a 'compulsory' fee so as they have moved me here they should be responsible. Good point about the Catholic schools and there is a very good one near us!