Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paying rent up front

Paying rent up front

Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough
Default Paying rent up front

A lot of people on here talk about paying rent 3 months up front in a bid to secure a good property.

As we wont be taking masses of money away with us when we leave we were interested to know how this works, if say the rent is $300 per week, do you pay a lump sum of roughly 12 x $300 and then not pay any more rent for 3 months,

Or do you pay the lump sum, then start paying weekly rent instantly and then for the last 3 months of the rental term not pay anything,

Or is the three months upfront like and deposit or bond and you pay normal rent for the whole rental term and then get your lump sum back at the end when you leave.

Sorry for going on, we can afford to pay the $4000 - $5000 up front but just wanted to know how it worked,

Cheers, ross...
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paying rent up front

Originally Posted by rosscog
A lot of people on here talk about paying rent 3 months up front in a bid to secure a good property.

As we wont be taking masses of money away with us when we leave we were interested to know how this works, if say the rent is $300 per week, do you pay a lump sum of roughly 12 x $300 and then not pay any more rent for 3 months,

Or do you pay the lump sum, then start paying weekly rent instantly and then for the last 3 months of the rental term not pay anything,

Or is the three months upfront like and deposit or bond and you pay normal rent for the whole rental term and then get your lump sum back at the end when you leave.

Sorry for going on, we can afford to pay the $4000 - $5000 up front but just wanted to know how it worked,

Cheers, ross...
Not sure what other people had planned, but I'm going to pay 6 months rent in advance and not pay any rental payments during that time. I'll have to pay the bond as well which I'll get back at the end; unlike here where the deposit is paid to the landlord/letting company, the bond for rental property is lodged with an external agency (might be government) and is paid back at the end of the lease minus any deductions for breakages etc.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:59 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muzza
Not sure what other people had planned, but I'm going to pay 6 months rent in advance and not pay any rental payments during that time. I'll have to pay the bond as well which I'll get back at the end; unlike here where the deposit is paid to the landlord/letting company, the bond for rental property is lodged with an external agency (might be government) and is paid back at the end of the lease minus any deductions for breakages etc.

The bond is paid to a government org. called the bond bord, when you pay your bond you should recieve a notice from these people saying that they have recieved it. Make sure you get this, it is illegal for your land lord or agent to not lodge the bond with these people.
jim
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Cheers, ross...
You must pay a deposit/bond of 4 weeks rent in advance. This is lodged with a government agency. If your landlord does not receive rent money he is entitled to take payment from the bond. Basically it gives you 4 weeks to stump up the rent money before they can legally kick you out. It guarantees rent to the landlord. You get the lot back at the end of your tenancy plus a small amount of interest, as long as you haven't trashed the place!

You don't need to pay 3 months money up front. If you do, then this means in the first 3 months of your tenancy you don't pay rent. It just might put you ahead of the queue if loads of people are interested in the place you want to rent.

Money was tight for us, so we just showed the letting agent our references and visa and they were quite happy to rent it out. We paid the deposit/bond (4weeks rent) and one week's rent up front to secure the place.

Here's the references we needed;

2 Aussie contacts, personal/professional to give you a reference.
Bank statement, proving you can pay the rent for the term of the lease.
Evidence of regular mortgage payment in the UK. (if you didn't pay rent)
Bank reference from UK, confirming that you can organise your money.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:16 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We had to pay a bond of $1000 PLUS 3 months rent at $280 a week so in total we had to pay $4360 PLUS (!) $100 pet bond It normally takes about 2/3 weeks after you leave the property to get your bond back.

Quite a lot of money if you are on a budget. They tend to ask for 3 months rent if you arn't working or are new to the country. This is what we were told by the agent.

We also had to get the estate agents in the UK to fax over a letter saying that our house was in 'good repair/condition' when we sold it. Kind of like a reference
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:44 am
ABCDiamond

The Rules in QLD from http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/faq_starti...cfm?item=59.00

Can rent in advance be charged?

A lessor/agent and tenant may agree to an arrangement for rent to be paid in advance.

If a lessor/agent required the tenant to pay rent in advance, there are limits on how much can be asked for.
Maximum amounts of rent in advance levels are: -
  • For fixed term agreements - one months rent.
  • For periodic agreements - two weeks rent.
  • For moveable dwelling premises - two weeks rent.

Once the tenant has paid rent in advance, the lessor must not require another amount of rent in advance until the rent falls due again.

Even though it is illegal to request more rent in advance, the prospective tenant can offer to pay it, and, speaking as a landlord, it would help in putting a person to the top of the list

Other States may be different.

Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, ross...

Hi, in case you guys are renting you might want to take a few precautions too. This particular thread has a few pointers.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=renting

IG
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
PLUS (!) $100 pet bond )
Pet bond?? Never heard of those. Hmm maybe that might help in my latest plot. Our lease specifies no pets but I am desperate for a puppy. Maybe I can offer to pay a 'pet bond'... Don't think I stand much chance though. One day...
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Pet bond?? Never heard of those. Hmm maybe that might help in my latest plot. Our lease specifies no pets but I am desperate for a puppy. Maybe I can offer to pay a 'pet bond'... Don't think I stand much chance though. One day...
I think that Pet bond only applies in WA. Not sure if the other States allow it. I remember looking into this before, and I am sure it isn't allowed to be charged in QLD.

Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:46 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that Pet bond only applies in WA. Not sure if the other States allow it. I remember looking into this before, and I am sure it isn't allowed to be charged in QLD.

u dont get a pet bond here in Oz but if u do have pets then u have to get the place sprayed for fleas b4 u go, thats ontop of gettin the carpets steam cleaned
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:55 am
ABCDiamond

Bond Terms for Western Australia:

Bond is usually four weeks' rent in advance, plus another $100 if you've got a cat or dog

Then you've got to come up with two weeks' rent in advance. Of course, you get the bond back at the end of the lease, if the property is undamaged and there's no unpaid rent.
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/cp/dev_pu...nistration.pdf

http://www.dotu.wa.gov.au/backpocket/renting.html

I found this comment on the QLD site:

"Q: Does the Act include provisions for taking pet bonds?

A: No, the Residential Tenancies Act 1994 does not include provisions for taking for pet bonds.

If a pet bond is taken, it is likely to be considered to be part of the rental bond. Therefore, any money taken as a pet bond must be lodged with the RTA as rental bond.

If a pet bond is taken, lessors/agents need to take care that the total pet bond and rental bond taken does not exceed the maximum rental bond permitted under the Act."

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Apr 28th 2005 at 6:00 am.