Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paying Aussie import tax on new laptop??

Paying Aussie import tax on new laptop??

Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Paying Aussie import tax on new laptop??

Hello

We are looking to buy a new laptop in the UK before we migrate to Auz. We will pay tax (VAT) in UK, are we liable for tax / duty on arrival in Australia?

Thanks

The Spinkways
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:41 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Aussie import tax on new laptop??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hello

We are looking to buy a new laptop in the UK before we migrate to Auz. We will pay tax (VAT) in UK, are we liable for tax / duty on arrival in Australia?

Thanks

The Spinkways
As far as I am aware, not if you've owned it for 12 months or more at time of entry and can prove it.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:47 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

The Spinkways
Hi
Arrived on Friday night night carrying my laptop. It was x-rayed but no one checked the age or questioned anyone else around me about what they were carrying, that I noticed.

Good luck.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hi

There has been a pretty similar post about this before, you are liable for tax if under 12 months old but the general jist like the previous poster mentioned is that rarely is anyones laptop looked at or queried about its age.

Laura
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

I am not sure on this one so I may be well out of line if please don't shhot me

But as far as I am aware you can claim the tax back on goods purchased which being taken out of the country dependent how old they are

I will look into this in a little greater depth
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Done some research found this link on the inland revenue site at the bottom

Reclaiming VAT if you live abroad
Do I qualify for the refund scheme?
You will qualify if you are: an overseas visitor
 your place of residence is not in the EC
 you intend to leave the UK for somewhere outside the EC with the goods by the last day of the third month following the month when you purchased the goods and
 you produce receipts and the VAT refund form to Customs at your point of departure from the EC
You may also qualify if you live within the EC but intend to leave the EC for at least 12 months.
Goods not covered by the schemeThe scheme does not include:
 new or used motor vehicles
 a boat that you intend sail to a destination outside the EC
 goods costing over £600 in value exported for business purposes
 goods to be exported as freight
 apart from antiques, goods needing an export licence
 unmounted gemstones
 bullion weighing over 125g or
 mail order goods.
Not all shops operate the scheme so you should ask before you buy.
How the scheme works
When you buy the goods the retailer will ask you for proof that you are entitled to use the scheme. They will ask you to fill in a simple refund form.
The main thing to remember is that you need to have one of these forms to make your claim, till receipts alone will not do.
What to do next
If you are:
 leaving for a destination outside the UK, you must show your goods and refund form to UK Customs at the airport/port you are leaving from
 leaving the EC via another EC country, you must show your goods and refund form to Customs staff of that country
 leaving the EC on a transit flight via another EC member state, you must show Customs in the last EC country your refund form and any goods you have as hand baggage. You must show Customs in the UK your refund form and any goods to be carried in the hold of the aircraft
After Customs have certified your form you can get your refund by:
 posting the form to the retailer from whom you bought the goods
 posting the form to a commercial refund company or
 handing your form in at a refund booth to get immediate payment
Don’t forget
You must produce the goods and a fully completed refund document when you leave the EC to get your refund.
No completed refund document = No refund
No goods = No refund

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_001212
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks for the info.

If we do declare the laptop and do pay the tax, does anyone know how much that would be? The laptop cost approx £1,000.

Thanks

The Spinkway
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

make sure you take the price tag off and just walk through with it. I don't think there that bothered about a laptop.

I was even thinking of buying one on the way over via tawain but decided not to due to warrenty issues.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:39 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for the info.

If we do declare the laptop and do pay the tax, does anyone know how much that would be? The laptop cost approx £1,000.

Thanks

The Spinkway
stick a few peelable labels on it, make it look older, and just dont say owt
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

The Spinkway

Just to let you know - we declared $1500 worth of equipment in our container and have just been asked to pay $90 in tax The value depreciates depending on how long you have owned the goods

Jaymac
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I walked in with a laptop less than 3 months old and nobody said boo.

My daughter's laptop (same age) was in container in original box and no questions.

They are more concerned with food being brought in. Lady with cute little spaniel came around asking us to put our baggage within smelling distance of dog when we arrived in Melbourne.

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I walked in with a laptop less than 3 months old and nobody said boo.

My daughter's laptop (same age) was in container in original box and no questions.

They are more concerned with food being brought in. Lady with cute little spaniel came around asking us to put our baggage within smelling distance of dog when we arrived in Melbourne.

Ian
no Ian that was because you looked like a know drug dealer (Hee Hee)