Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PAYG mobile sims Brisbane

PAYG mobile sims Brisbane

Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future
Default PAYG mobile sims Brisbane

Hello, arriving in Bris on Monday and staying in Manly, just wondering if anyone has researched the best value Mobile pay as you go sims to purchase and where to get them locally.

Pref need one with GPRS availablity as will need at least some access to internet (infact I need to find a local internet cafe also!!!)

Also where can we purchase the cheap international calling cards from/which brand etc.

Cheers for any info.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYG mobile sims Brisbane

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Hello, arriving in Bris on Monday and staying in Manly, just wondering if anyone has researched the best value Mobile pay as you go sims to purchase and where to get them locally.

Pref need one with GPRS availablity as will need at least some access to internet (infact I need to find a local internet cafe also!!!)

Also where can we purchase the cheap international calling cards from/which brand etc.

Cheers for any info.
You'll get calling cards from most newsagents. I always had a Virgin Mobile because I think that offered the best rates for a very occaisional user like me. However, there is no real GPRS with Virgin so that's out. I did some research about 6 months ago into GPRS and I reckon on PAYG Optus is probably the best. I think that Voda's per kb rate is cheaper but Optus charges in smaller blocks - or something like that

I got my SIM from the Optus shop at Carindale. Go here to find an Optus store nearby (Manly's post code is either 4178 or 4179) - http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/...gnextrefresh=1
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Excellent, thank you
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:51 pm
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
You'll get calling cards from most newsagents. I always had a Virgin Mobile because I think that offered the best rates for a very occaisional user like me. However, there is no real GPRS with Virgin so that's out. I did some research about 6 months ago into GPRS and I reckon on PAYG Optus is probably the best. I think that Voda's per kb rate is cheaper but Optus charges in smaller blocks - or something like that

I got my SIM from the Optus shop at Carindale. Go here to find an Optus store nearby (Manly's post code is either 4178 or 4179) - http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/...gnextrefresh=1
What part of Brisbane are you planning to set up camp in ?

The reason I ask is that there are some parts where Optus does not work too well and I imagine also some parts where Optus may work better than Telstra.
In most areas Virgin uses Optus towers and Vodfone use Telstra towers.
I got caught out when I bought a Virgin prepay pack and then discovered it did not work at my home.

Good Luck
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Cheers for any info.
Hi,

Not sure about the mobile.

There are plenty of internet cafe's in Brisbane CBD but a bit sparse elsewhere - there's the odd one in big shopping centres (I know that there's one in Carindale which is about 15 to 20 minute drive from Manly). Average charge is $2 for 20 minutes.

If your in suburbs join the local library - most have a suite of computers where you can get internet access - nearest one to Manly is Wynnum Library. Also, once you're a member of the library, internet is free but you have to pay about 10c per sheet if you want to print something off.

Best phone cards I know are "Ozcall". You can get these at some newsagents but all Australia Post shops. You can get cards in $10 denominations. You get charged 50c connection charge and then it's 2c per minute for the rest of the call. So half hour call back to UK will cost you $1.10.

Hope this helps and good luck !!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:52 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Vodafone red sims they will send you free or you can pretty much pick them up from anywhere. Couldnt be happier with using them to be honest and never had any worries - good value for money.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:19 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by him
What part of Brisbane are you planning to set up camp in ?

The reason I ask is that there are some parts where Optus does not work too well and I imagine also some parts where Optus may work better than Telstra.
In most areas Virgin uses Optus towers and Vodfone use Telstra towers.
I got caught out when I bought a Virgin prepay pack and then discovered it did not work at my home.

Good Luck
I lived in Brisbane (Bayside but got around quite a but with work) for over a year with an Optus phone and never had an issue with coverage.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for any info.
Be careful that whatever type you get HAS a good coverage area, ie most of the state. Most will not have the extensive coverage that Telstra has. They all work good in Brisbane region but when you go further out......:curse: I have Optus prepaid, and it is patchy or useless outside 150km of major coastal centres. If I had the choice I would change to Telstra, but its too much hassle porting the number. 3/Vodaphone is useless on the Sunshine Coast, as my brother recently found out when both of their phones (3 and Vodaphone after switching from Telstra network) dropped out.