Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PAYG '3' broadband in Oz?

PAYG '3' broadband in Oz?

Old May 24th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default PAYG '3' broadband in Oz?

Im off to Ireland to say goodbye to all the family in a couple of weeks and am going to get a '3' dongle for payg broadband for my laptop

- will it work in Oz?
- will the cost be different to the rate in the UK?

I only want it for checking emails each day nothing heavy -until we get settled.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:32 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYG '3' broadband in Oz?

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Im off to Ireland to say goodbye to all the family in a couple of weeks and am going to get a '3' dongle for payg broadband for my laptop

- will it work in Oz?

I only want it for checking emails each day nothing heavy -until we get settled.
you would pay international roaming rates I would imagine in Australia and it would be horrendously expensive - check out the "international roaming" portion of hte 3 Contract and see what it says about Australia
Old May 24th 2008, 9:20 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

- will it work in Oz?

By Dongle, do you mean the USB modem where the SIM card is put in ? If so, I had one when I first came over 10 months ago, on a month to month plan. Cost $30 per month with 2gb data. Stopped the service after 3 months, and sold the modem on ebay as soon as we had a landline. I had my service with 3 and the area they cover is good. Telstra have more coverage, but are more expensive or long term contracts.

http://www.three.com.au/threestore/m...roadband.xhtml
Old May 24th 2008, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I had a chat with the man at 3 here about the usb dongle broadband but to go in the opposite direction. He said (and I dont know if this is right or not, they were pretty confused about the whole process) that you can get the dongle unlocked if you call 3's help line. That way you could get the Aus broadband plan (contracts only at this stage I think) but use your UK usb dongle. The coverage for Aus is ok if you live in a metropolitan area but not appropriate if you are living outside the major cities. To use the UK sim here for broadband would be international roaming rates which could be $$$
Old May 24th 2008, 10:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

- will it work in Oz?

Hi.

This might help? It shows a mixture of pay and free sites. For the sake of security I would probably choose a pay one from a reputable source.

http://www.jiwire.com/search-wifi-ho...06835937500004

Simply navigate to Ireland on the map and zoom in to see how many sites it knows of.