Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pay as you go interent in Aus?

Pay as you go interent in Aus?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pay as you go interent in Aus?

Hi,

We are going to be staying in a holiday let for 4 weeks when we arrive in Brisbane. It has a phone line so my question is - can we get on the internet via some sort of pay and go option, as I don't want to be landed with a massive bill from the owners.

If we can is it just a case of buying a CD or do we need some sort of connector type thing?

Apologies if this sounds really dim but I was just wondering!

** I spelt internet wrong in the title because I was typing too fast not because I am actually dim....
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default Re: Pay as you go interent in Aus?

You can buy "pay as you go" internet but you need to buy the modem which just looks like a memory stick. It's quite expensive to buy and you also need to make sure that whatever provider you go with actually covers the area you are in.
You can get "pay as you go" without buying the modem but you're tied into a 2 year contract with them normally.
If it's just for catching up on E-mails etc and not hours and hours online, you could always sit outside the mobile phone shops and log in on their network.. or a McDonalds... (some of them)... or a highly populated area that has connections which are unsecured....
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

If your pc has a modem built in you can get a pre paid dial up cd rom from telstra - this is what we did - very easy to get going. think it was around $25. Horrid being back on dial up but is better than nothing.
If you have no modem you can get prepaid broad band through telstra - and others but i use telstra - for the cost of a usb pen drive thingy which cost me $199 then just buy credit as you do a mobile phone. Much more civilised than having to worry about a bill or contract each month
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:57 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Get a library card, and have free internet at any library is another option.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:25 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

All the major telco companies offer pre-pay broadband, the cost varies from $150 up to $199 dollars for the USB modem and sim card, The 3 network coverage is limited to the major cities and populated areas. Vodafone I know nothing about and Telstra is really expensive for top ups but the coverage is the best in Australia. The next best is Optus and Virgin as they share the same networks.
I use Virgin broadband it costs $179 for the modem and the top up is either $15/$30 for 30 days or $50 for 60 days, it rolls over if you top up before the expiry date. If you choose this route then I would suggest you buy a $15 top up to start with, if you find yourself using it up quickly then just by $30 credit next time.
If you only need the internet for checking emails then I would suggest using an internet cafe or joining the library as it's normally free...
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure my laptop has a modem built in, I only bought it last year.

We will primarily using it to look for jobs, house, car etc. At home I have a wireless adaptor that plugs into my phone line and then I can use the laptop all round the house, would I need to buy one of those or could I just bring mine?

Or is that what people are on about the usb/modem thingy that costs a couple of hundred dollars?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Hi,

We are going to be staying in a holiday let for 4 weeks when we arrive in Brisbane. It has a phone line so my question is - can we get on the internet via some sort of pay and go option, as I don't want to be landed with a massive bill from the owners.

If we can is it just a case of buying a CD or do we need some sort of connector type thing?

Apologies if this sounds really dim but I was just wondering!

** I spelt internet wrong in the title because I was typing too fast not because I am actually dim....
If your laptop hasn't got it built in, get a USB Wi-FI adapter. Then before you come here, google for all the wi-fi hotspots around the area you will be staying.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Or is that what people are on about the usb/modem thingy that costs a couple of hundred dollars?
The thing they are talking about is broadband using the mobile phone network.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure my laptop has a modem built in, I only bought it last year.

would I need to buy one of those or could I just bring mine?
you could bring your own but the phone plug is different and you would need an adapter for the power point as the UK plug wont fit.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out:

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...aspx?id=104496

Good luck

Alistair
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Confused 2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Louise & Mark, Great news you are off soon bet you're getting excited. We also live in Cheltenham and were out in Brisbane a couple of years ago and validated our visas, whilst there we were able to find out some important pointers about starting out. If you would like any info or meet up send us a PM. Good luck. Pete & Wendy
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

If you get one of those broadband modem things payg,make sure you can get in unlocked before coming over well im in perth had a guy unlock it but he never did the job and i am stuck with $30 of credit i can use and a sim,which ok i could use in future,but i tried so hard to get places to unlock nobody knew how,maybe its better in the east coast.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough

use pidgeons and smoke signals. Its simpler, cheaper and in some Australian Internet Providers cases...faster
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:44 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

we have pay as you go Telstra costs $149 for a memory stick type thing, you can go somewhere like woolworths, coles to get a recharge voucher just like getting a mobile top up for various fixed amounts.

Then just top up via the telstra option on the desk top page its straight forward.

I think it is expensive though especially if you use the internet a lot you have to be strict on your usage (we arent) if you dont want to have to keep topping up.