Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pauline Hanson no Longer in Who's Who of Oz

Wikiposts

Pauline Hanson no Longer in Who's Who of Oz

Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pauline Hanson no Longer in Who's Who of Oz

Originally posted by Ceri

As for the racist thing, her stories have been twisted around by the press and the politicians.

like this one - she does not want a multi racial nation, she wants an Australian nation... one nation. ie no matter what race, colour or creed "we are Australians" . The way I take it is she wants one law to apply to all, no special laws if you are another race.. all people should abide by the same laws. Is that racist??
Errrr no - actually I take this to mean that she doesn't want anybody who isn't white living in Australia, and neither does she support immigration of any kind. ( She probably wouldn't approve much of you Ceri or any one of us other "immigrants" for that matter).

Old Dec 10th 2003, 7:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sunlover
Errrr no - actually I take this to mean that she doesn't want anybody who isn't white living in Australia, and neither does she support immigration of any kind. ( She probably wouldn't approve much of you Ceri or any one of us other "immigrants" for that matter).

There's a hole in your logic, dear Sunlover, a hole.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Prison Officers Jailed

Is this what you were on about? Why should prison officers be sacked for brutality?
Why am I not suprised that you are a Guardian reader ;-)

No, it was this incident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...03/npris03.xml

I disagree with you about racism being the problem, even though I personally know white people who have been discriminated against at work because they are white i.e. not ethnic.

The biggest probem in the UK, in my opinion are the social divisions caused by Multiculturalism. In a nut shell, humans never have, and never will be brought together by their differences.

Even though this is pretty obvious, I don't think you'll find a single journalist who would dare criticise it, no matter how right wing the paper. Basically they'd be sacked faster than the left wing could shout Fascist. So much for free speech.

If Pauline Hanson was stitched up because of her politics, then she has effectively been a political prisoner for the last few years. Think about the implications of that. It worries the hell out of me.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:54 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i share your concerns. i do not agree with hanson although a lot of aussies certainly did - enough for her party at one stage to hold was it a third of the queensland state parliament plus representation in the national and the senate. i do however support her right to free speech just as i do the pc brigade in the uk. Australia though more than any country i have been to is controlled by the rich and political elite (big fishes in little pond) and she had to go. The truth in Oz never really enters into it.

having just moved back to uk from oz and seen the political changes that have taken place since i have been away i have to say it is worrying. scottish style government leaves me cold in every way and the removal of liberties in england and the increased rates of taxes are a huge problem and are imho a threat to the so called english way of life.

oz imho is a much more authoritarian type state similar to gordon brown type management where every aspect of life is controlled by the authorities, not 1984 but the layers of government are never ending. howard reforms are ongoing although further appetite looks limited. as for pc in oz, you will find it but not in the exaggerated way that you do in the uk. particularly in the uk public sector. most aussies, god bless em, also have a natural cynicism to this sort of thing and helps keep it in check as it is just not a popularity winner in oz.

Originally posted by Bluebristolian
Just to be a devils advocate. What if she was stitched up and sent to prison because of her political beliefs? It is possible. You may not agree with her politics but you should be concerned that democracy is being upheld which means allowing an honest debate about political issues. Unfortunately the UK is now effectively under a Politically Correct gagging order, where anybody who does not agree with the 'liberal' lefts objectives is instantly branded a racist etc in much the same way you have Pauline Hanson. A UK Prison guard was sacked recently because he slagged Osama bin Laden off in a 'Racist' way. The list of things happening like this is endless. I'm trying to emigrate to OZ and hope that Australia won't fall into the same trap that the UK has.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s983907.htm

Last edited by dugongs; Dec 11th 2003 at 12:57 am.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with you about racism being the problem, even though I personally know white people who have been discriminated against at work because they are white i.e. not ethnic.

The biggest probem in the UK, in my opinion are the social divisions caused by Multiculturalism. In a nut shell, humans never have, and never will be brought together by their differences.

Even though this is pretty obvious, I don't think you'll find a single journalist who would dare criticise it, no matter how right wing the paper. Basically they'd be sacked faster than the left wing could shout Fascist. So much for free speech.

If Pauline Hanson was stitched up because of her politics, then she has effectively been a political prisoner for the last few years. Think about the implications of that. It worries the hell out of me.
There is a lot of Tosh about this case. She was not stiched up by Abbot or Beattie or anyone. She basically used fraudulant methods to get half a million bucks. She was found to be guilty by her peers when all the facts were made known to them. The higher court overturned in on almost a technicality. Calling her a political prisoner is ignorant of the facts or just plain dumb.

Also there is no two ways about it, Hanson DID say that they should only allow white immigrants back in 1996. I specifically remember the bit*ch standing next to her stupid looking kid saying that and making my blood boil at the time. Presumably with your views, you agree with her.

As you are not a guardian reader, presumably you enjoy the bulldog (or the mail as its the same thing).
If you dont like multicultural societies why the **** are you moveing to OZ. Why not stay with other "not racist" "politically incorrect" mono culture people back home where ever that might be.

I await your tirade.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
i share your concerns. i do not agree with hanson although a lot of aussies certainly did - enough for her party at one stage to hold was it a third of the queensland state parliament plus representation in the national and the senate. i do however support her right to free speech just as i do the pc brigade in the uk. Australia though more than any country i have been to is controlled by the rich and political elite (big fishes in little pond) and she had to go. The truth in Oz never really enters into it.

having just moved back to uk from oz and seen the political changes that have taken place since i have been away i have to say it is worrying. scottish style government leaves me cold in every way and the removal of liberties in england and the increased rates of taxes are a huge problem and are imho a threat to the so called english way of life.

oz imho is a much more authoritarian type state similar to gordon brown type management where every aspect of life is controlled by the authorities, not 1984 but the layers of government are never ending. howard reforms are ongoing although further appetite looks limited. as for pc in oz, you will find it but not in the exaggerated way that you do in the uk. particularly in the uk public sector. most aussies, god bless em, also have a natural cynicism to this sort of thing and helps keep it in check as it is just not a popularity winner in oz.
dugongs, mate, you're at it again - big fishes in little pond (I'm still not sure what to do about that one - if Pauline Hanson had her way it would be an even smaller pond BTW), the truth in Oz nevers enter into it, most aussies have a natural cynicism (sic) etc. Soundbite, soundbite, do you write for the tabloids?

How about this one for truth - 1997, we will NOT have student top-up fees, 2003 - we WILL have top-up fees. 1997 - education, education, education that's our priority. 2003 - we can't fund it without students paying (but we quickly found over £5 bill for the war in Iraq). We will/won't/maybe enter the euro etc. You've got the picture - is their 'truth' anywhere?

OzTennis

As ever in the interests of a good debate.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:29 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i'm not defending hanson only her right to say what she says. i am like the original poster dubious of the motives of the people that masterminded her downfall.

your asking me to defend policies of a government that i have no wish to be in power. as i have said this current "scottish style government" in the UK is completely different from previous forms of government in the UK. However, it is very similar to aussie style BIG government which I guess is why you defend it.

Originally posted by OzTennis
dugongs, mate, you're at it again - big fishes in little pond (I'm still not sure what to do about that one - if Pauline Hanson had her way it would be an even smaller pond BTW), the truth in Oz nevers enter into it, most aussies have a natural cynicism (sic) etc. Soundbite, soundbite, do you write for the tabloids?

How about this one for truth - 1997, we will NOT have student top-up fees, 2003 - we WILL have top-up fees. 1997 - education, education, education that's our priority. 2003 - we can't fund it without students paying (but we quickly found over £5 bill for the war in Iraq). We will/won't/maybe enter the euro etc. You've got the picture - is their 'truth' anywhere?

OzTennis

As ever in the interests of a good debate.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not defending hanson only her right to say what she says. i am like the original poster dubious of the motives of the people that masterminded her downfall.

your asking me to defend policies of a government that i have no wish to be in power. as i have said this current "scottish style government" in the UK is completely different from previous forms of government in the UK. However, it is very similar to aussie style BIG government which I guess is why you defend it.
Hanson - OK, you believe she has a right to say what she says but not in what she says. Free speech is a tricky one and difficult to resolve at times. 'I' have the right to say whatever 'I' want but others might say 'not if causes offence to me'. It's a bit like someone saying I have the right to smoke wherever I want and others saying you don't have the right to make me the victim of your passive smoking (I prefer the aussie approach on this one as a non-smoker).

I only threw in the Labour U-Turns etc to say lack of truth at times applies everywhere - it isn't an antipodean monopoly. I certainly don't push the Howard, Latham, Blair or Howard lines (hey there's a Howard in government and a Howard in opposition - must be a trick question in there somewhere?). I'm happy to exercise my democratic right here not to vote for any of them.

Scottish style government you'll need to elaborate on because I'm not sure what you mean (reference to Gordon Brown and Tony Blair going to Fettes College in Edinburgh or are they building a new parliament which was meant to cost a certain amount and has turned into more than 10 times that amount?). Give 'em a break though they haven't had much devolved power since the Act of Union!

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:03 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to exercise my democratic right here not to vote for any of them.
question i posted before -how do you feel about having to vote in Australia(I presume you have to do it even though overseas?)
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by seang
question i posted before -how do you feel about having to vote in Australia(I presume you have to do it even though overseas?)
I'm quite happy with having to vote - it's what I'm used to. Not having to vote seems open to bias to me FWIW. How many times have they said in the UK the weather was bad on polling day this will favour the Tories with their own cars, not relying on public transport etc. Whether true or not always seems funny to me - everyone over a certain age doesn't have to vote. What you're used to I guess. Wait for those who will say just spoil your paper in Oz

OzTennis

I presume the UK is against holding referenda on issues for the same reason (you can't 'make' everyone vote)?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 7:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

And the source of your story is the Torygraph. The problem of racism against non whites is far greater and much more serious than the minimal discrimination against whites. Considering the problems Britain's ethnic communities face I am very glad I was born white. I have never had problems with the UKs or Australia's ethnic population.

Humans have differences and advanced societies celebrate those differences rather than denigrate them.

If Pauline was stitched up it was by both the stablished left and right wing establishments, not some conspiracy by the left.

Anyway I will leave you to worry about your job being taken over by blackies and Xmass being wiped out in favour Eid and Diwali.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Talking

Originally posted by bondipom
And the source of your story is the Torygraph. The problem of racism against non whites is far greater and much more serious than the minimal discrimination against whites. Considering the problems Britain's ethnic communities face I am very glad I was born white. I have never had problems with the UKs or Australia's ethnic population.

Humans have differences and advanced societies celebrate those differences rather than denigrate them.

If Pauline was stitched up it was by both the stablished left and right wing establishments, not some conspiracy by the left.

Anyway I will leave you to worry about your job being taken over by blackies and Xmass being wiped out in favour Eid and Diwali.
If it's in the Torygraph then it's obviously a complete fabrication, thanks for pointing that out. As for the rest of your comments, you are entitled to your opinions and I'm sure they make you feel good about yourself, even though they look like they are based on the usual propaganda.

If I emigrate to Austalia then I intend to assimilate my family into Australian life and culture out of respect to a county that will hopefully be giving me a better life.

There are people in the UK who have started highlight the problems of muticulturalism. One of the best is the Asian writer Kenan Malik.

Try reading this as it might loosen your blinkers.

http://www.kenanmalik.com/tv/an_mc.html

Have a nice life.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Things have changed so much in the last few years in the UK that it's hard to guess what will happen next. The PC thing has become so ludicrous that its more like a Monty Python sketch than real life. Why did you come back to the UK?

Cheers.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:09 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Things have changed so much in the last few years in the UK that it's hard to guess what will happen next. The PC thing has become so ludicrous that its more like a Monty Python sketch than real life. Why did you come back to the UK?

Cheers.

You will at home in Oz then if you feel that your right to express racist opinions in the UK is being oppressed.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's in the Torygraph then it's obviously a complete fabrication, thanks for pointing that out. As for the rest of your comments, you are entitled to your opinions and I'm sure they make you feel good about yourself, even though they look like they are based on the usual propaganda.

If I emigrate to Austalia then I intend to assimilate my family into Australian life and culture out of respect to a county that will hopefully be giving me a better life.

There are people in the UK who have started highlight the problems of muticulturalism. One of the best is the Asian writer Kenan Malik.

Try reading this as it might loosen your blinkers.

http://www.kenanmalik.com/tv/an_mc.html

Have a nice life.
I did not say that it was a fabrication. I believe from the article that the only part of the case has been heard and that is the part that has been reported. Incomplete story. Just as you were pointing out that I am a Guardian reader I am pointing out that you are a Telegraph reader.

I have no blinkers as I often read the telegraph to get both sides of the story as most newspapers have their own agenda and I do not want to become part of it.

My advice to you is to avoid Sydney as you will encounter what you describe as "problem multi-culturalism".

I am not sure where you will end up but mass emigration is here for good and society has to learn how to deal with it.

I read the article and raises some interesting arguments about where politicians and government have gone wrong. What the writer seems keen to promote is the advancement of the cultures beyond the establishments thinking of them. He seems to feel the institutions are straightjacketing communities into producing a culture in the eyes of the arts council rather than where they want to go.

That problem also holds back main stream art in Britain as well. The arts council is a strange institution and unless you within their clique's thinking then funds are hard to get.

The outcome of the industrial tribunal you mentioned will be interesting but please think about what it is like to be associated with Osama because you share the same religion.