Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pathetic Sports Coverage in Australia

Pathetic Sports Coverage in Australia

Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:58 am
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pathetic Sports Coverage in Australia

Do you realise that we poor folk who reside in Australia cant even see the world cup rugby. There is a game going on at the moment England v Somoa and it isnt on local TV or Pay TV.

However if you are an Aussie sports fan you can watch any event you like - Australia vs Outer Whoop Whoop Land in Cane Toad racing is on live from Inga Bogville Stadium but forget it if you want to watch France, England, Ireland , Wales, Scotland play in the Rugby world cup - forget it.

Get used to becoming very insular - either become an aussie sports fan or very frustrated.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pathetic Sports Coverage in Australia

Originally posted by mamp
Do you realise that we poor folk who reside in Australia cant even see the world cup rugby. There is a game going on at the moment England v Somoa and it isnt on local TV or Pay TV.

However if you are an Aussie sports fan you can watch any event you like - Australia vs Outer Whoop Whoop Land in Cane Toad racing is on live from Inga Bogville Stadium but forget it if you want to watch France, England, Ireland , Wales, Scotland play in the Rugby world cup - forget it.

Get used to becoming very insular - either become an aussie sports fan or very frustrated.
Blimey, that's bad! We seem to get all the games here in NZ. Never watched Rugby before, but hvae seen so much lately (nothing else to watch!) that I'm beginning to quite enjoy it!!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:19 am
WBB

well if you want an update the second half has just started and england are LOSING 16-13 and mr dependable jw missed a kick right in front of the posts.

samoa have outplayed england in the first half and deserve the lead.

Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:20 am
Just Joined

mamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Go on rub it in - I hope you have a power cut (only joking)
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:05 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Welcome to the world of Australian sports coverage. You should have been around when the Olympics were on. They only covered Australian interests and then it was swimming. Channel 9 got a real bad slagging from viewers all over Oz appaled at their lack of coverage. If it does not concern Oz it won't be on.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we managed to watch it on channel 7!
Sue
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by SueandIan
Well we managed to watch it on channel 7!
Sue

Dont they have Sky TV there??... we have it in NZ and i even get the UK sky news on it. we get full coverage of most big sports stuff ...we even had the world cup soccer and NZ weren't in it!!

I am very confused though as the Sky channels we get are from Australia....... or so i thought!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:33 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where on earth you live but as Sue mentioned, it was telecast on channel 7 here in Brisbane (& the rest of the country I expect)

World Cup Rugby

As for the rest of the whinging about lack of sports coverage, it seems like Australia cant win either way. Half the people on here complain that theres too much sport on tv, the other half complain that theres not enough.

How much coverage of all the australian sporting events are there in the UK? When I was there I was flat out finding out that we had elections in OZ from the news, let alone sporting events.

Some people will whinge about anything .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 26th 2003 at 12:39 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:04 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Not sure where on earth you live but as Sue mentioned, it was telecast on channel 7 here in Brisbane (& the rest of the country I expect)

World Cup Rugby

As for the rest of the whinging about lack of sports coverage, it seems like Australia cant win either way. Half the people on here complain that theres too much sport on tv, the other half complain that theres not enough.

How much coverage of all the australian sporting events are there in the UK? When I was there I was flat out finding out that we had elections in OZ from the news, let alone sporting events.

Some people will whinge about anything .
On sky sports we can now watch Oz Rugby and Ozzy rules football. Love the Rugby but the Ozzy rules??? What is it all about?
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:45 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nicholls clan
On sky sports we can now watch Oz Rugby and Ozzy rules football. Love the Rugby but the Ozzy rules??? What is it all about?
Aus Rules = Arial pingpong - apparently better viewed as a spectator. It is form of sport played when women need to watch! (short shorts are required to play). Similar exibitions can be seen in lower football leagues in the UK, basically when they know not what to do with the ball they hoof it!!!

My opinion only!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:54 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Aus Rules = Arial pingpong - apparently better viewed as a spectator. It is form of sport played when women need to watch! (short shorts are required to play). Similar exibitions can be seen in lower football leagues in the UK, basically when they know not what to do with the ball they hoof it!!!
what do you think of the compromise rules - saw a recording of the match on friday-looked awesome

Last edited by seang; Oct 26th 2003 at 2:10 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 2:07 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seang
what do you think of the compromise rules - save a recording of the match on friday-looked awesome
I only regret not having a ticket!

That and not having a ticket for the rugby....and the fare for the trip to Melbourne, plus I could also watch the gee gees, oh and I regret the lack of time off to to get over the hangover if I was in Melbourne that Weekend!

I should have moved to melbourne! Gaelic is a different game.....it was there before the rest! And we bedder win thd as wel

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2003, 2:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra

My opinion only!
aussie rules best spectator, game in the world . "pull yer head in "sandra .......... MM
Old Oct 26th 2003, 2:35 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ok mrs DB...

Lets clear this up, right now. Nip it in the bud so to say.

There can NEVER be enough sport on TV.

The end.

Ok??

Old Oct 26th 2003, 2:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by mr mover
aussie rules best spectator, game in the world . "pull yer head in "sandra .......... MM
Trying hard...but even after pulling me head in.....aussie rules sucks on telly.....as does most field sports, but rugby league and union stand a chance. Football you can watch the skill of individual players....my opinion of course!

And lets not even start on watching cricket!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.