Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Wikiposts

Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:50 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Bottom line: Aussies prefer LPG to diesel.

As an Aussie in the UK, I have found that England is far behind Australia in LPG conversions; it's practically unheard of over here.

But you have to let the Poms have a good ol whinge. If it wasn't diesel it would poor Xmas decorations compared to ones back home or something else like that.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:51 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pom plumber
the trick is to buy one that has already been converted?

LOL yeah, i know that NOW! Just need to convince him with the dosh to buy me a new car
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

bye the way does anyone want to buy my state of the art diesel megane in feb,1 owner(the missus)low miles(always in garage)full service history(got pages of work had to be done)very nippy and economical(when on road).ps anybody recommend a good LPG car in oz
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
But you have to let the Poms have a good ol whinge. If it wasn't diesel it would poor Xmas decorations compared to ones back home or something else like that.

Exactly, I wonder if blairdoesntcare would like some whine with that diesel car?

I smell something fishy - I think someones reeling people in here .
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pom plumber
bye the way does anyone want to buy my state of the art diesel megane in feb,1 owner(the missus)low miles(always in garage)full service history(got pages of work had to be done)very nippy and economical(when on road).ps anybody recommend a good LPG car in oz
bring it with you and we'll give the tyres a kick

WW
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
Maybe in about 20 years time they will think differently!! - - but by then I will be home in England where I can drive again ie. not get a ticket for going 3kmh over the speed limit ! It will be nice to look at the wonderful English countryside instead of the saddest & most glum looking trees and not stare at the speedo!!
6000 speed cameras in the UK say that you cant drive how you like there. Try speeding the entire M25 and see how many nice friendly notice of inteded prosecutions you recieve - enough to loose your licence.

The speed limit in Australia is fine with me. A lot of cars have cruise control and you can actually use it here, whereas I found it near impossible on the more congested UK motorways.

The limit is the limit for a reason. I like to drive and ride my motorbikes as much as the next person and have certainly not got a clean licence. However, I must expect consequence to my actions when I know I am speeding or should pay attention as to what speed I am doing.

As to the lack of diesel cars in Australia, its how the culture has developed and you will find the same mentality in the USA with vehicle engine sizes and fuel types. But then since fuel a year ago was so cheap it was a joke really and even now is 99c a litre yesterday in QLD, running a 4.0 litre falcon is not entirely a financially daunting prospect, which I do. It certainly more fun to drive than 1.8 diesel effort to my mind.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Now theres a good point. LPG is substantially cheaper, when i looked into the cost of converting our car it was so expensive to do it that i questioned howlong it would take to get my money back in cheaper fuel considering i would probably have sold the car by then!
Just spotted a cracking VB Commodore for sale up the road with gas for just $300!

Inspired by Smart cars, every body panel was a different colour to the original orange......

Cheap motoring at it's best

WW

Probably suitable for non-smokers.. :scared:
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:07 am
ABCDiamond

I used to drive a diesel in the UK, but I said never again. 3 litre petrol for me

Maybe they have got better ? But until the european manufacturers can advertise it and prove it here in Australia, the locals will stick with what they know and LIKE.

The local manufacturers are not really interested in spending a fortune in setting up diesel options, and then another fortune in advertising it to the public, in the hope they buy them, when they know full well that the Europeans would then just walk in with their models, and take advantage of the advertising.

My thinking is that it is down to the European manufacturers to spend the initial money.

After all, for ages the Australian public haven't worried about petrol costs, and even now, the majority aren't "overly" concerned.

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

When I left the UK there were more petrol cars than there were diesel cars - although the number of diesel cars was increasing as the engines were starting to perform better (usually because of the addition of a turbo).

Are diesel cars now more common?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

LPG is no good in European winters, esp Central Europe, and it is too expensive there.
So diesel is OK for Europe.

A Ford Falcon returns a similar economy to a 1.8 Sierra.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:19 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an unhealthy obseesion with my car, she's nothing special, but I love her. I wanted to bring her to Oz, but VW in Adlelaide told me this was a very bad idea. (VW Passat TDi Sport) They said that there are NO VW Passat Diesels in oz? Is this really true? The car is worth a fraction of what we paid now and we figured it was worth bringing it over and running into the ground...but perhaps not? A comparable Passat in Oz would set us back £20k from what I can see......
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
I have an unhealthy obseesion with my car, she's nothing special, but I love her. I wanted to bring her to Oz, but VW in Adlelaide told me this was a very bad idea. (VW Passat TDi Sport) They said that there are NO VW Passat Diesels in oz? Is this really true? The car is worth a fraction of what we paid now and we figured it was worth bringing it over and running into the ground...but perhaps not? A comparable Passat in Oz would set us back £20k from what I can see......
The Passat TDi is available in Australia. Volkswagen now have a diesel version of all their models. Btw, whilst most european cars are more expensive here, VWs, at todays exchange rate are cheaper than the UK. VW are leading the push for diesel in Australia.

Australia is way, way behind in car technology. The arguements against diesel are getting harder to justify. Holden have announced that they are going to bring out a diesel version of the new commabore, probably in '07. Mazda are bringing out a diesel version of the superb Mazda6 next year (a brave move in my opinion). The arguement that the diesel is of poor quality & is only good for utes & tractors is bollox. The D4D diesel engine in the new Hilux ute is state of the art, you wouldn't put 'crap' diesel in it.

Time to wake up & join the 21st Century Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:58 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

how can you say Australia is way behind in car technology?

You mean - holden ?

Because the rest of the cars are imported versions of European or Jap ones, all those pommies still in UK will think everyone drives round in Model T's... I know they do in Perth but man in the civilised parts of australia there are proper cars available, some even have air bags and windows that you dont have to wind down.

I think the aussies took a look at global warming effects and decided they probably wouldnt notice the difference.

Global warming causes:
1) Increased temperatures : Strewth mate , just turn the fridge up a notch to keep the stubbies cool. Like its hot enough already.

2) Skin Cancer : Skin what now? Sun cream ? What with my beetroot, no way.

Australia is already like other countries will be after their ozone is depleted. So why not run around the bush in a golden holden ute running on proper man fuel instead of gay stinky diesel

I did have a 530d in uk and it was the best car ever truly fantastic and same performance / refinement as the 530i petrol.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:02 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Just spotted a cracking VB Commodore for sale up the road with gas for just $300!

Inspired by Smart cars, every body panel was a different colour to the original orange......

Cheap motoring at it's best

WW

Probably suitable for non-smokers.. :scared:

I already have a VX Berlina model 2001 !! I might be persuaded though. Are the colours funky?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could find the article, however I read recently, I think it may have been in the RACV magazine, the diesel golf v the petrol golf. That if one drives the average 15,000 k's per year it would take 11 years to recuperate the 2,500 dollars difference in price between the models.

I like diesels, but that information made me sit up and take notice, it's mostly due to the fact of petrol being so much cheaper than diesel here.

Chip fat anyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.