Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:44 pm
Banned

blairdoesntcare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

What is it about the Ozzies - some things dont make sense....

They seem obsessed with "Green Issues" like the 4 or 5 different rubbish bins that take about a month to work out, but they drive the most polluting cars on the planet!!

I asked a few (Careful) questions - "why do you need a 4.0litre gas guzzling four wheel drive car when you cant drive very quickly and if you are able to move in the traffic in Melbourne its only for about 3-4mins because of the pathetic lack of roundabouts and profuse use of traffic lights?"

The response "You need a big engine in case you get hit in a frontal impact"

surely in a frontal impact the engine would come into the driving compartment and hit your legs!

They also winge on about the cost of fuel (which has now come down) but still have not woken up in the real world of diesel cars!

Currently "Luxury" Diesels are some Mercedes models, VW Golf and Toureg, BMW X5, Audi A3 A4 and A6, and for some strange reason they think that Peugeot is a "Luxury' brand too with the 306/7 and 406/7 models now being available in diesel.

The fuel costs of our family car (Mazda MPV 2.5 Litre Petrol Auto) is the same as running our VW Sharan Diesel which we had in the UK - the Mazda uses double the amount of fuel and its slower! - with the Oz fuel cost being half the UK price.

Its not down to availabilty - Diesel seems to be available at around 60% of the fuel stations now, and BP have introduced the greener low sulphate diesel fuel.

The other observation is the cars most actually choose - In the UK (back in the early 80's ) Mr Average family man would buy 1. A Ford Sierra or 2. A Vauxhall Cavalier - its no different here - its 1. A Ford Falcon and 2. A Holden Commadore! The car mags here are pathetic - unless you want to read a monthly test of Commadore V Falcon EVERY month I suggest anyone coming here continues with "Car" or "Autocar" UK subscriptions and gets it sent over!!!!

Maybe in about 20 years time they will think differently!! - - but by then I will be home in England where I can drive again ie. not get a ticket for going 3kmh over the speed limit ! It will be nice to look at the wonderful English countryside instead of the saddest & most glum looking trees and not stare at the speedo!!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare

They seem obsessed with "Green Issues" like the 4 or 5 different rubbish bins that take about a month to work out, but they drive the most polluting cars on the planet!!

I asked a few (Careful) questions - "why do you need a 4.0litre gas guzzling four wheel drive car when you cant drive very quickly and if you are able to move in the traffic in Melbourne its only for about 3-4mins because of the pathetic lack of roundabouts and profuse use of traffic lights?"

surely in a frontal impact the engine would come into the driving compartment and hit your legs!

They also winge on about the cost of fuel (which has now come down) but still have not woken up in the real world of diesel cars!

Currently "Luxury" Diesels are some Mercedes models, VW Golf and Toureg, BMW X5, Audi A3 A4 and A6, and for some strange reason they think that Peugeot is a "Luxury' brand too with the 306/7 and 406/7 models now being available in diesel.

The fuel costs of our family car (Mazda MPV 2.5 Litre Petrol Auto) is the same as running our VW Sharan Diesel which we had in the UK - the Mazda uses double the amount of fuel and its slower! - with the Oz fuel cost being half the UK price.

Its not down to availabilty - Diesel seems to be available at around 60% of the fuel stations now, and BP have introduced the greener low sulphate diesel fuel.

The other observation is the cars most actually choose - In the UK (back in the early 80's ) Mr Average family man would buy 1. A Ford Sierra or 2. A Vauxhall Cavalier - its no different here - its 1. A Ford Falcon and 2. A Holden Commadore! The car mags here are pathetic - unless you want to read a monthly test of Commadore V Falcon EVERY month I suggest anyone coming here continues with "Car" or "Autocar" UK subscriptions and gets it sent over!!!!

Maybe in about 20 years time they will think differently!! - - but by then I will be home in England where I can drive again ie. not get a ticket for going 3kmh over the speed limit ! It will be nice to look at the wonderful English countryside instead of the saddest & most glum looking trees and not stare at the speedo!!
Thought you said you just "Got the new (For Australia) Audi 2.0TDI Ambition DSG".

I have just emailed Jaguar Australia and asked if the X Type diesel will be arriving anytime at all ever...............

Can you tell me if diesel fuel in Oz meets the EN590 standard - I have heard that it's not very good fuel for cars over there which is why they just put it in Utes and tractors...........

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:02 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Considering that diesel is around 10 - 12 cents a litre dearer than unleaded here.bThat is probably the reason no one wants to use them.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:06 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Considering that diesel is around 10 - 12 cents a litre dearer than unleaded here.bThat is probably the reason no one wants to use them.

Yeh it's a little bit more expensive than unleaded here in the UK too, but 20mpg petrol vs 45mpg diesel the benefits are clear!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:10 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

I wasnt aware its now dearer than unleaded in UK. When i left several years ago it was cheaper.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

I wasnt aware its now dearer than unleaded in UK. When i left several years ago it was cheaper.
Its about 89p to the litre, Unleaded is about 87p (Tesco prices!)

I like the sound of the prices of both in QLD!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Its about 89p to the litre, Unleaded is about 87p (Tesco prices!)

I like the sound of the prices of both in QLD!!!

Cheers

Buzzy

well.. you learn something everyday. I still thought it was less and couldnt understand why it was dearer here.. blown that myth out the window thanx
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

i ran a similar thread some time ago,had some good replies mainly about LPG
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pom plumber
i ran a similar thread some time ago,had some good replies mainly about LPG

Now theres a good point. LPG is substantially cheaper, when i looked into the cost of converting our car it was so expensive to do it that i questioned howlong it would take to get my money back in cheaper fuel considering i would probably have sold the car by then!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Pathetic Lack Of Diesel Cars In Oz

Who wants to drive something that sounds like a truck and moves like a slug?

And it seems to me that diesels aren't nowhere near as green as people seem to believe.

Now, I don't see the need for cars with big engines; I drive a 1.6 myself. But all this hype about the virtue of diesels is simply incomprehensible to me.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Who wants to drive something that sounds like a truck and moves like a slug?

And it seems to me that diesels aren't nowhere near as green as people seem to believe.

Now, I don't see the need for cars with big engines; I drive a 1.6 myself. But all this hype about the virtue of diesels is simply incomprehensible to me.

You've obviously never driven a fuel injected turbo diesel! I owned one before i left UK and it was great, and believe me i may not know much about mechanics, but i was in the transport industry for many years using all kind sof cars and i can say it was a great drive.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line: Aussies prefer LPG to diesel.

As an Aussie in the UK, I have found that England is far behind Australia in LPG conversions; it's practically unheard of over here.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:48 pm
Fighting my corner

You've obviously never driven a fuel injected turbo diesel! I owned one before i left UK and it was great, and believe me i may not know much about mechanics, but i was in the transport industry for many years using all kind sof cars and i can say it was a great drive.
Well, if it's a turbo diesel, it's going to be pretty rough on the environment.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

the trick is to buy one that has already been converted?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, if it's a turbo diesel, it's going to be pretty rough on the environment.

I wouldnt know about that, but they sure dont move like a slug as you suggested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.