Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Past Job references

Wikiposts

Past Job references

Old May 26th 2003, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Past Job references

Got 12 yrs experience in my profession.

My problem is job references, are they really required that far back?

I ask because one company doesn't exist anymore, so what do I do to prove I worked there?

Lastly, I've been freelance for last 5.5yrs(Ltd Company), so do I need references of my past clients or a letter from Companies House that I have existed for the time I state in my application.

Ta in advance for any help.
Old May 26th 2003, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Hi

We are at same stage as yourself organising paperwork for assessment.

We also have situation where a business no longer exists - in those circumstances I would do a statutory declaration confirming that you worked for this company and that no longer exists.

If you have a limited company - provide them with a certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation - the certificate proves that the company exists and certifying a copy of it proves that it is a true copy.

Try to get letters from 1 or 2 clients, suppliers and your accountant together with any copy accounts and payslips etc.

Good luck
Old May 26th 2003, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by rizalan
Hi

We are at same stage as yourself organising paperwork for assessment.

We also have situation where a business no longer exists - in those circumstances I would do a statutory declaration confirming that you worked for this company and that no longer exists.

If you have a limited company - provide them with a certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation - the certificate proves that the company exists and certifying a copy of it proves that it is a true copy.

Try to get letters from 1 or 2 clients, suppliers and your accountant together with any copy accounts and payslips etc.

Good luck

I'm applying for Nz, could you explain what a "statutory declaration" is? Is it a seperate declaration on the application forms or simply a letter signed by yourself explaining the situation?
Old May 26th 2003, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

if you want to be assessed quickly and without much fuss get as much info as possible

proving that you worked for a particular company that's gone bust isn't easy
old payslips?
are you in contact with any other old staff? managerial if poss??
get references from hem stating how long you worked there and what work you did

if you are freelance you will need to prove your ltd company exists accountant letter cert of insurance etc

get 3+ trade ref
(from your suppliers stating stuff bought -make sure it relates to your work tho')

3 + customers ref -
make sure they say how much turnover how long and must state what work you do for them..and it must relate to what you are being assessed for..

i would also include pic's of yourself 'actually at work' etc esp if you wear overalls and have a signed van or whatever..

some may feel this is overkill but it makes their assessment of you easier -seeing is believing'

cheers

richard

Last edited by r.bartlett; May 26th 2003 at 11:05 pm.
Old May 26th 2003, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by r.bartlett
if you want to be assessed quickly and without much fuss get as much info as possible

proving that you worked for a particular company that's gone bust isn't easy
old payslips?
are you in contact with any other old staff? managerial if poss??

if you are freelanc you will need to prove your ltd company exists accountant letter cert of insurance etc

get 3+ trade ref(from your suppliers stating stuff bought -make sure it relates to your work tho')

3 + customers ref -make sure they say how much turnover how long and must stste what work you do for them..and it must relate to what you are being assessed for..

i would also include pic's of yourself 'actually at work etc esp if you wear overalls and have a signed van or whatever..

some may feel this is overkill but it makes their assessment of you easier -seeing is believing'

cheers

richard
Thanks, I work in IT so no overalls there even though I do like DIY

I may be able to track down an old director, but what do I need off him? A letter simply stating I worked for him and what my role was and that the reason the company does not exist anymore?

The Ltd company prove can be obtained from my Accountants or accounts(I have 4yrs), and a Companies House certificate, is that enough or do I need client refereces aswell?
Old May 26th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agree with Richard go for the overkill as no positive assessment no visa. Stat Dec - letter confirming situation and sworn before a legally qualified person.

statutory declaration basically something like this (failing that do search on site and should have other examples and comments on same):-

I [your name] of [your address] do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:-

[state here who your worked for how long, what you did (lots of detail) and confirm that they are no longer in business provide dates]

Sworn by the said [your name] at [place of signing e.g. City in which you are at] on [date]

[print name and sign above on dotted line]

before [name of solicitor/notary public] - solicitor is a notary public - confusing I know but NP has own seal either way as long as before legally qualified person.

[name of solicitor in print signs above on dotted line]

Hope that is of some use
Old May 26th 2003, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Client references should also be supplied - you can draft a style and all they have to do is sign it - detailing what you did for them etc

Old May 26th 2003, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Client references should also be supplied - you can draft a style and all they have to do is sign it - detailing what you did for them etc

Any examples please, gratefully appreciated
Old May 26th 2003, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

email me an email address and i'll send you a copy
Old May 26th 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry not at that stage yet so dont have any styles - could ask forum but I thought basically

Address of client, DATE (important)

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Your name

Then in as much detail as possible job you undertook what it entailed, happy with service provided etc would recommend you/employ your services again (important part is what you did and how you did it and when you did it I guess)

your faithfully

If anyone has anything to add to this or correct me feel free to do so as would be interested to know

I would also provide CV summarising all the jobs you have done etc, - normal CV keep that fairly short - your letters will back up CV.

Get letter from at least 3 suppliers but if your a small business like ours then (we only use 2) so say in a separate letter attached to the two suppliers letters why only two (that is what TRA told me when I emailed them) basically saying how long they have dealt with you, what kind of business you have what they supply you with etc.

Old May 26th 2003, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Richard

Would I be being very cheeky and also asked for a style? Sent you a PM but apparently your a very popular fella - your inbox is full!!

regards

Old May 26th 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

PM sent.

Top man
Old May 27th 2003, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 17 years of work experience and 11 employers plus self employed for 3 years. Just contact the inland revenue and asked them for all my p60 records that stated all the previous companies I worked for and all my self assessment tax records.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by stooly
I have 17 years of work experience and 11 employers plus self employed for 3 years. Just contact the inland revenue and asked them for all my p60 records that stated all the previous companies I worked for and all my self assessment tax records.
Contact the IR? Not for me thanks. Be like pulling teeth.

Thanks anyway for a decent suggestion.

I think I can get a personal letter of a former director of the company I worked for. Its if they want further prove thats all.
My CV will have all the duties I performed. This should be enough I hope
:scared:
Old May 27th 2003, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Only thing ids it needs to be on headed paper has I found out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.