Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

passports(sorry)

passports(sorry)

Old May 27th 2010, 5:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passports(sorry)

Originally Posted by thedons
The Wife and I have just got our citizenship here do we need to get an ozzie passport to leave Australia??????????????????? I'm sure somebody said that you need it to get back in?????????????????????????
Yes you do. If you try to enter on your EU passport your visa won't be valid as citizenship cancels it out. Some people have done it just carrying citizenship certificate but sounds like hassle to me for the sake of getting a passport.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:30 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yes you do. If you try to enter on your EU passport your visa won't be valid as citizenship cancels it out. Some people have done it just carrying citizenship certificate but sounds like hassle to me for the sake of getting a passport.
You can get an Australian Declaratory Visa Subclass 998 but I think it costs more than a straight forward Australian passport.

I nearly got one as I had to travel soon after my ceremony, but luckily in time my Aussie passport came.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys and girls, if you need anything ask BE.com
Old May 27th 2010, 9:15 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys and girls, if you need anything ask BE.com
and thank you from me too..

xxx
Old May 27th 2010, 9:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Wife and I have just got our citizenship here do we need to get an ozzie passport to leave Australia??????????????????? I'm sure somebody said that you need it to get back in?????????????????????????
Soapy's wife, and Moneypenny, have both re-entered just on citizenship certificates. If you don't have time to get it they aren't quite so "off" about it, but if you have had time to apply and get the Aussie one you won't be popular! You need to allow a lot of extra time when checking in, because without a visa or an Aussie passport the check in staff may need to check with DIAC that you are OK to travel. If they allow you to board without checking they are putting the airline at risk of being fined if Australia won't accept you.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yes unless the rules change on dual citizenship and then you may have to choose.
Only if one country passed a law revoking the citizenship of anyone holding the citizenship of another country.

When you consider that many people hold a foreign nationality without being aware of that fact, that would be an extreme measure that would never happen in a free society. (Zimbabwe is the only known example).
Old May 27th 2010, 12:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brummy
if you get an aussie on and let your british one laps,can you get your british one at a later date?

also,what are the advantages on keeping your british one..?
The main advantages of keeping a British passport are:

1. If you need to live in the UK in future, your passport is immediately available.

2. If you let it expire for too long, you need to make a "first time" passport application with full proof of ID, citizenship etc. That can take months to process.

3. Some countries (eg Brazil) require visas from Australians, but not British citizens.

4. If you need to send a passport away for a visa you can send your British passport.