Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

passports lost on route to AHC London!

passports lost on route to AHC London!

Old Apr 10th 2003, 9:29 am
Just Joined

j_a_watson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default passports lost on route to AHC London!

Hi,

My wife and I were luck enough to get our grant letter recently. We opted to send our passports off by post (special delivery) to get the Visa Evidences stamped into them.

However, royal mail cannot confirm delivery of our package and think that it may be lost!!

Has this happened to anybody else? How long does it take to get a new passport? How do I communicate it to Australia house that they will have to evidence the new passport and not the old?

your help would be much appreciated.

Jason.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Hi

I have just put my passports in the envelope to send and was told to use special delivery... now I am not sure whether to send them or not.

If I were you I would ring Australia House to get confirmation that they have recieved them.

Good Luck, hope they turn up soon.

Jan :-)
Old Apr 10th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

i bet thats peed you off. we sent ours special delivery, took about 10 days to come back. i hope yours turn up soon.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 3:22 pm

Default Re: passports lost on route to AHC London!

Originally posted by j_a_watson
Hi,

My wife and I were luck enough to get our grant letter recently. We opted to send our passports off by post (special delivery) to get the Visa Evidences stamped into them.

However, royal mail cannot confirm delivery of our package and think that it may be lost!!

Has this happened to anybody else? How long does it take to get a new passport? How do I communicate it to Australia house that they will have to evidence the new passport and not the old?

your help would be much appreciated.

Jason.
Better that they got lost on the way there than on the way back after the visa was in.

Old Apr 15th 2003, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jason,
Did your passports ever turn up, just about to post mine.......................
Old Apr 15th 2003, 10:51 pm
Tez
Forum Regular

Tez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default loss of passports

Hi sorry to hear what has happened.I posted a reply on this forum a few weeks ago warning people of sending their passports to AHC,and low and behold some one has fallen foul.I attended AHC to get my families visas evidenced.It took two hours in waiting for two minutes at the counter.Stii it was an excuse for a day out in London.
The risks are far two great in my humble opnion to send important documents through the post.Like some one has aready said thank heavens the visas were not in them already.
What would you have done if you had booked flights,accomodation etc etc and had to cancel???????all the stress not least the cost involved that you would have lost.
I workde at the post office during a short spell between carees a few years back in a major sorting office in the midlands and i can tell you large quantities of mail go walkies all the time
Please heed this advice and dont get caught out it could be disastrous all round for the sake of a trip up to london
Old Apr 15th 2003, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you can get a passport issued at an office the same day if you turn up in person. Not sure about the lost cases although do not see why it should be any different. They should just cancel the old one and re-issue new ones. You will have to do new photos and get the forms signed again.

We decidied to book a last min holiday a few years ago and had to get a passport for the youngest as he did not have one. So did the photos and got the form signed one afternoon,sent hubbie to Liverpool the next day for the passport, booked the holiday that evening,quick shopping trip to Mattalan (the only shop open late - I was 6 mths pregnant and huge with nothing but jeans to wear) We flew out very early the next morning. So you should be o.k. Not the end of the world.

Maybe they will turn up. They do say if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself!! Such a pain in the bum when things like this happen. I can already see that we will be booking our flights a few days before we go only for the tickets to get lost!! Poo happens, such is life.

Have a beer things will be fine.

Pott
Old Apr 16th 2003, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Just to let you know, posted mine special delivery with pre-paid envelope to come back on the 10th April and we recieved ours back this morning with visa dated 14th April. Am I pleased or what!
Hope yours turns up soon.

Old Apr 16th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by springflower
Hi
Just to let you know, posted mine special delivery with pre-paid envelope to come back on the 10th April and we recieved ours back this morning with visa dated 14th April. Am I pleased or what!
Hope yours turns up soon.

Hi Jan
Did you use a special delivery envelope for the pre-paid return envelope?.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Stoney

Yes I did, it cost just £8 to send with a pre paid special delivery self addressed envelope. My agent told me to write my Reference Number on the front of the envelope and FAO the case office who ever you have. Sent it around 1pm on Thursday 10th and arrived this morning.

Hope this helps

Old Apr 16th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by springflower
Hi Stoney

Yes I did, it cost just £8 to send with a pre paid special delivery self addressed envelope. My agent told me to write my Reference Number on the front of the envelope and FAO the case office who ever you have. Sent it around 1pm on Thursday 10th and arrived this morning.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that Jan I'll do just that.