passports

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default passports

If you become an aussie citizen do you have to get an ozzie passport to return to Oz if on holiday, or can you still travel with your permanent visa in your UK passport?

Also, if you leave oz for a holiday do you have to have an ozzie passport aswell to get back into oz?(if your a ozzie citizen)..

Just asking as my daughter is coming back for a holiday to UK and she hasnt got her ozzie passport yet, only has her UK passport with her permanent visa in it, even though she is an ozzie citizen now. so will she need it, also does her ozzie boyfriend need a visa to enter UK for a holiday? She wont need a visa will she?

Im hoping to return on holiday myself at some stage but need to know if I can go on my UK passport (permanent visa still in date, but Im also an oz citizen now) as dont want to get to Perth and end up being turned away

Thank You!!!

Kath
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:24 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: passports

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
If you become an aussie citizen do you have to get an ozzie passport to return to Oz if on holiday, or can you still travel with your permanent visa in your UK passport?

Also, if you leave oz for a holiday do you have to have an ozzie passport aswell to get back into oz?(if your a ozzie citizen)..

Just asking as my daughter is coming back for a holiday to UK and she hasnt got her ozzie passport yet, only has her UK passport with her permanent visa in it, even though she is an ozzie citizen now. so will she need it, also does her ozzie boyfriend need a visa to enter UK for a holiday? She wont need a visa will she?

Im hoping to return on holiday myself at some stage but need to know if I can go on my UK passport (permanent visa still in date, but Im also an oz citizen now) as dont want to get to Perth and end up being turned away

Thank You!!!

Kath
You'll be fine just as long as it's in date. People do this all the time.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You!!!

Kath
Technically speaking you should use an Aussie passport to enter and leave Australia once you are a citizen. You can't use your PR visa as it will have been cancelled when you became a citizen, and you can't get an ETA for the same reason. It is possible to enter Aus on a Brit passport, with your citizenship certificate, (see recent posts by Moneypen) but it isn't recommended, and may well cause delays.
You may well also face delays at check-in as without proof that you have the correct documents to enter Australia, the airline may refuse to carry you - this is because if Australia Immigration refuse to admit you then you have to be flown back at the airline's expense.

Technically your daughter should also use an Aussie passport - if she doesn't have one, she needs to allow more time and she should take her citizenship papers with her. SHe can enter the UK on her British passport, no problem there, and the boyfriend won't need a visa for the UK as long as it's just a short holiday.

I'm sure if I've missed anything JAJ will be along later
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:43 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Polly's right. Don't try it. Your visa was canceled when you became a citizen. Just get Australian passports issued which take about two weeks or so - less for a priority service.

In today's travel climate knowing your going to get grief at airports for not having the correct documents isn't that smart.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys I will get her to get her passport done and also apply to Australian Embassy here for mine and the rest of the family

So her ozzie boyfriend deffo dont need a visa then?

and she can come back into UK with her UK passport...

Sorry a bit dim this evening

Kath
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We have two passports Aus and Euro and we use the Aus to come in and leave Aus and the Brit/Euro when we are overseas. Our children have two as well even though they were born here due to us both being Brit.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys I will get her to get her passport done and also apply to Australian Embassy here for mine and the rest of the family

Kath
Thats right, she will leave Australia on her Australian, enter UK on her UK. When she returns leaves UK on UK and enters Australia on Australian.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Kath
UK visa info is here - http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

As long as he is only entering for a short holiday he will be fine. Beware if they are going to Europe - other countries may require him to have a visa.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
UK visa info is here - http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

As long as he is only entering for a short holiday he will be fine. Beware if they are going to Europe - other countries may require him to have a visa.
Most European states do not require visas for Australian passport holders.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks everyone
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Polly's right. Don't try it. Your visa was canceled when you became a citizen. Just get Australian passports issued which take about two weeks or so - less for a priority service.

In today's travel climate knowing your going to get grief at airports for not having the correct documents isn't that smart.
That's sort of correct but Immigration will also treat it as an RRV (providing the visa's five year time limit has not expired) if you don't have an Australian passport.

It's obviously far more straightforward and commonsense to have the Aussie Passport though