Passports???

Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough
Default Passports???

Im sure this has been covered before, and Ive done a search etc, but no certain answers.
I hope to go later this year, but my passport runs out June 06. We are going on a permanent Visa.
Does anyone know for certain wether you need a certain amount of time left on your passport for them to put the visa in, and if so and I renew my passport now, will I keep the same passport number??
Many thanks
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports???

Originally Posted by samjam
Im sure this has been covered before, and Ive done a search etc, but no certain answers.
I hope to go later this year, but my passport runs out June 06. We are going on a permanent Visa.
Does anyone know for certain wether you need a certain amount of time left on your passport for them to put the visa in, and if so and I renew my passport now, will I keep the same passport number??
Many thanks
I don't think it matters as such how long is left on your current passport, the visa stamp in what will become the old passport will still be valid when the passport itself isn't.

Do you have your visa already? If not, I would be tempted to apply for an new passport anyway and inform DIMIA of the new number - the new passport will have a different number.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks

Hi there,
Dougies passport expires July 06 and we got out visas a couple of weeks ago. So dont worry.
Carole
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:50 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi,

You can get into Oz with less than 6 months on your passport (assuming you have PR) but be careful with stopover points (e.g. you need 6 months left on your passport to get into Singapore).

Regards
Alistair
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks
To save hassles in the future it is advisable to get a new passport before you get the visa. You can travel with the visa in the old passport but you will have to carry both at the same time and the situation can confuse airline staff at checkin. As stated before advise DIMIA of the new passport number.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:22 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that if you renew a passport before it expires, they carry over the valid months (up to nine months, from memory) onto the new passport. So you'd have a ten years and nine months passport.

GG

Many thanks