British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Passport Validity (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/passport-validity-111000/)

mEi21 Sep 5th 2002 1:11 am

Passport Validity

Hi,

Just like to enquire if I my passport will be expiring next month, do I have to renew my passport, while my pr migration visa is being processed. (At the moment I do not plan to go overseas)

Jaj Sep 5th 2002 10:40 am

Re: Passport Validity

I think you need to have a valid passport to get your visa stamped. In any case it
makes sense to do so, otherwise you end up having to cart two passports around, one
with the visa, and the other the valid one.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:11:21 +0000, mEi21 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >Just like to enquire if I my passport will be expiring next month, do I have to
    >renew my passport, while my pr migration visa is being processed. (At the moment I
    >do not plan to go overseas)
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

ywoods Sep 5th 2002 4:33 pm

I was under the impression that the passport had to be valid for at least 6 months? Happy to stand corrected,,,,

Yvonne :)

9 :eek: days til we leave, 11 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by Jaj:
I think you need to have a valid passport to get your visa stamped. In any case it
makes sense to do so, otherwise you end up having to cart two passports around, one
with the visa, and the other the valid one.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:11:21 +0000, mEi21 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >Just like to enquire if I my passport will be expiring next month, do I have to
    >renew my passport, while my pr migration visa is being processed. (At the moment I
    >do not plan to go overseas)
    >--

ptlabs Sep 5th 2002 4:46 pm

Jeremy, Mei,

Generally, one requires at least 2 blank pages on one's passport (one fully blank page for the visa label, another one for the wet-stamp endorsement upon entering the country) which should be valid for at least 6 months before the passport is acceptable for visa label sticking.

Carrying two passports (one expired but with the original visa label, and another current passport for actual travelling) isn't necessarily a bad idea. Certain countries tend to be irritated and/or suspicious about citizens who hold permanent resident status in a country that's considered not-too-friendly (think the occasional cross-border political spat). In this case, having the current passport free of any physical evidence of PR status in a foreign country may make life somewhat easier for the anal border officer at one's home country. Of course, this has more to do with human emotions than the law.

Peter

Originally posted by Jaj:
I think you need to have a valid passport to get your visa stamped. In any case it makes sense to do so, otherwise you end up having to cart two passports around, one with the visa, and the other the valid one.

> > Just like to enquire if I my passport will be expiring next month, do I have to
> > renew my passport, while my pr migration visa is being processed.

Jaj Sep 5th 2002 8:53 pm

Peter Are you sure that a passport needs 6 months validity for Australia to put a
visa into it?

As for your point about the attitude of the person's home country, I don't think it
applies to anyone from the UK.

A further point is that to use a passport for travelling in many SE Asian countries,
it must have more than 6 months validity on it.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:46:58 +0000, ptlabs
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >Jeremy, Mei,
    >Generally, one requires at least 2 blank pages on one's passport (one fully blank
    >page for the visa label, another one for the wet-stamp endorsement upon entering the
    >country) which should be valid for at least 6 months before the passport is
    >acceptable for visa label sticking.
    >Carrying two passports (one expired but with the original visa label, and another
    >current passport for actual travelling) isn't necessarily a bad idea. Certain
    >countries tend to be irritated and/or suspicious about citizens who hold permanent
    >resident status in a country that's considered not-too-friendly (think the
    >occasional cross-border political spat). In this case, having the current passport
    >free of any physical evidence of PR status in a foreign country may make life
    >somewhat easier for the anal border officer at one's home country. Of course, this
    >has more to do with human emotions than the law.
    >Peter
    >Originally posted by Jaj:
    >> I think you need to have a valid passport to get your visa stamped. In any case it
    >> makes sense to do so, otherwise you end up having to cart two passports around,
    >> one with the visa, and the other the valid one.
    >> > > Just like to enquire if I my passport will be expiring next month, do I
    >> > > have to
    >> > renew my passport, while my pr migration visa is being processed.
    >--
    >Visited http://www.austimeline.com/ yet?

ptlabs Sep 5th 2002 11:50 pm

Jeremy,

> Peter Are you sure that a passport needs 6 months validity for Australia to put a visa into it?

I can't seem to find any literature supporting or contradicting this general rule, which is why I said 'generally' and not specifically say that Australia's rules were such. I myself may be in a similar position as my passport may expire at around the same time my 50-week estimated waiting period ends.

> As for your point about the attitude of the person's home country, I don't think it
> applies to anyone from the UK.

Agreed, but Mei, the original poster, seems to be Malaysian, and my comments do apply :)

> A further point is that to use a passport for travelling in many SE Asian countries,
> it must have more than 6 months validity on it.

True. Not just for S.E.A. countries, but most Asian countries (China, HK SAR and Macau SAR for instance) as well. Most tour agencies will advise at least having 6 months validity or more in one's passport before visiting any foreign country.

Peter

mEi21 Sep 9th 2002 4:29 am

Thank you everyone for the response.

So that means I will only have to renew my passport when they are about to stick the visa on it or do I have to renew it as in now... because it expires next month but I have yet to receive any acknowledgement letter from DIMIA.

mEi21

ptlabs Sep 9th 2002 5:58 am

Mei,

If you are a Malaysian citizen currently residing in Malaysia, and this fact was communicated to DIMIA in your application form for permanent residence, there's nothing illegal about your not renewing your passport, as you do not require a passport to legally remain in your country of nationality.

You will simply have to renew your passport when the time comes (about the time you're requested to submit your medicals/police checks) and inform DIMIA about the new passport number once you get it. I don't think DIMIA insists on your having a valid passport (while you're residing in your own country) throughout the period that your application is pending - that'll be a bit silly of them if they do insist on that.

HTH

Peter

Originally posted by mEi21:
So that means I will only have to renew my passport when they are about to stick the visa on it or do I have to renew it as in now... because it expires next month but I have yet to receive any acknowledgement letter from DIMIA.

Jaj Sep 9th 2002 11:01 am

No reason why you shouldn't renew it now, if you want. Just write to them and
tell them the new passport number (with a certified copy of the identity pages)
when you get it.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 04:29:57 +0000, mEi21 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thank you everyone for the response.
    >So that means I will only have to renew my passport when they are about to stick the
    >visa on it or do I have to renew it as in now... because it expires next month but I
    >have yet to receive any acknowledgement letter from DIMIA.
    >mEi21
    >--

chana Sep 11th 2002 12:44 pm

Mei,

Immigration Office in Malaysia now requires you to take out a whole new passport; no more a stamp of extension (after payment). The new electronic passports are non-renewable - you apply for a new one. Just apply for the standard 32-page ones (cheaper) if you don't travel that much. The 64-page ones are more costly and you cannot use it after 5 years. You take out a whole new one.

Do go and get yourself a new passport while you wait in Malaysia (two weeks wait). Or you will have to make a trip to Canberra (if you get PR later) to get yourself a new passport! The good news is that you can get a passport from the High Commission there in a day. Go at 9am and new passport is ready at 3pm or so.

I believe you need a re-evidencing of visa in your new passport if your old one is replaced. I need to ask folks here on what this is, but I believe it's a duplicate sticker on your new passport if you have to change your passport. So you don't carry two passports.

Salam bahagia
chana

ptlabs Sep 11th 2002 2:33 pm

> Do go and get yourself a new passport while you wait in Malaysia (two weeks wait).

It's actually more like a 4-day wait (inclusive) in any passport office througout the peninsula.

> I believe you need a re-evidencing of visa in your new passport if
> your old one is replaced.

Re-evidencing is entirely up to the individual. The visa label is not the visa itself, but merely an instance of the visa. What this means that if you carry an expired passport that contains the visa label, you may continue to use that visa label (provided it has not been damaged and the visa has not expired) despite the fact that the passport itself has expired. This is the norm for several other countries, including the United States.

If you choose to have your visa transferred to your new passport, DIMIA will not object to it either, but it's not something that you have to do at the cost of losing your PR status.

Peter

Jaj Sep 11th 2002 9:09 pm

You may not be able to re-evidence your visa. DIMIA's systems are not always up to
the task of putting a new visa label in a different passport. They can always do so
manually, but this (from what they told me) tends to confuse immigration officers at
the airport whenever you arrive in Australia.

Carrying two passports is the alternative, and as Peter says, they're quite
used to this.

So if you're planning on applying for PR, it's a good idea to renew your passport if
it has less than a few years validity on it (unless you want to carry two passports).
This will cover you for the time necessary to qualify for a resident return visa or
citizenship.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:33:54 +0000, ptlabs
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I believe you need a re-evidencing of visa in your new passport if your old one is
    >> replaced.
    >Re-evidencing is entirely up to the individual. The visa label is not the visa
    >itself, but merely an instance of the visa. What this means that if you carry an
    >expired passport that contains the visa label, you may continue to use that visa
    >label (provided it has not been damaged and the visa has not expired) despite the
    >fact that the passport itself has expired. This is the norm for several other
    >countries, including the United States.
    >If you choose to have your visa transferred to your new passport, DIMIA will not
    >object to it either, but it's not something that you have to do at the cost of
    >losing your PR status.
    >Peter
    >--
    >Visited http://www.austimeline.com/ yet?

Morgan Sep 17th 2002 12:04 pm

Why do you need a certified copy of the identity pages? In the original application you just fill in the number and issue/expiry dates. They don't ask for copies of the passport. I should just think it would be enough to inform them of the new details in the same format as the original application.

?

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Jaj:
No reason why you shouldn't renew it now, if you want. Just write to them and
tell them the new passport number (with a certified copy of the identity pages)
when you get it.

Jeremy

Jaj Sep 17th 2002 8:15 pm

Normally it's good practice to send them copies of the identity pages.
It just makes life easier for them - if you don't they may or may not
ask you for them.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:04:54 +0000, Morgan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Why do you need a certified copy of the identity pages? In the original
    >application you just fill in the number and issue/expiry dates. They
    >don't ask for copies of the passport. I should just think it would be
    >enough to inform them of the new details in the same format as the
    >original application.
    >?
    >Originally posted by Jaj:
    >> No reason why you shouldn't renew it now, if you want. Just write to