British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Passport validation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/passport-validation-305623/)

janenorgate May 28th 2005 10:48 am

Passport validation

Can someone help please.

I have just picked up from anouther forum, that when you send your passports off to Australia House to have the visa put into them, your passports have to be valid for at least 2 years. I have not heard of this before, has anyone else?

Jane

SuperSeagulls May 28th 2005 10:51 am

Re: Passport validation

Originally Posted by janenorgate
Can someone help please.

I have just picked up from anouther forum, that when you send your passports off to Australia House to have the visa put into them, your passports have to be valid for at least 2 years. I have not heard of this before, has anyone else?

Jane

No - I hadnt heard of this. I didnt think it would matter, so long as the passport was valid when you get it evidenced. Afterall, you can travel to Oz with a passport without a label in it so long as you have the old passport with the label in it with you.

SS

binky May 28th 2005 11:41 am

Originally Posted by janenorgate
Can someone help please.

Jane

I sent mine off when it was due to expire in 6 months and got it back with the visa in it no problem. The only issue was that shortly after I had to renew my passport and will now have to travel with two passports.

moneypenny20 May 28th 2005 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by binky
I sent mine off when it was due to expire in 6 months and got it back with the visa in it no problem. The only issue was that shortly after I had to renew my passport and will now have to travel with two passports.

AHC will re stamp your new passport if you ask them, if you don't want to travel with two.

JAJ May 28th 2005 1:31 pm

Which can cause hassle/delay at check-in as not all airline staff are aware that this is acceptable to DIMIA. Also because in the system they check, there will be no match for passport/visa details.

Jeremy

janenorgate May 28th 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks for that.
Just one more question, my sons passport doesn't expire till Nov 06 and we intend to fly out around August 05 which still leaves a year and more before his passport expires so when his passport actually expires surely i can just send it off for renewal as normal and the visa will automatically be included on his new one. Am i right?

Jane

binky May 28th 2005 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
AHC will re stamp your new passport if you ask them, if you don't want to travel with two.

Unfortunately you can only do this once you have arrrived in Australia (which I haven't) so will have to enter with two passports and get them changed after arrival. As Jermey, says it could be hassle but there is nothing I can do just now.