Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal in uk

Passport renewal in uk

Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Passport renewal in uk

I sent my kids passports off to be renewed here in the uk as they were about to expire and we're not going until next April.

I included a letter with each, asking that the current active visa on page 3 in the old ones was kept active and returned.

Just had the new ones back this morning, but no old passports in with them ! :scared:

Will they be sent back seperately ? If not, what to do ?

Andy
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal in uk

Originally Posted by cadman
I sent my kids passports off to be renewed here in the uk as they were about to expire and we're not going until next April.

I included a letter with each, asking that the current active visa on page 3 in the old ones was kept active and returned.

Just had the new ones back this morning, but no old passports in with them ! :scared:

Will they be sent back seperately ? If not, what to do ?

Andy

They usually send them back seperately anyway (with the corners cut, so they are no longer valid)
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just had the new ones back this morning, but no old passports in with them !

Normally they return old passports. If they didn't:

a. you will need to get new visa stamps; and
b. you should ask the Passport Office why, and if you don't get a good answer, file an official complaint.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Normally they return old passports. If they didn't:

a. you will need to get new visa stamps; and
b. you should ask the Passport Office why, and if you don't get a good answer, file an official complaint.
Cheers Jeremy,

that's what I feared. I'll contact the passport office but if they can't provide them, what's the procedure for getting new visas stuck in the new passports do you know ? is there a fee for example ?

Regards,

Andy
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Just spoke to the passport office, they said it's standard proceudre to send them back seperately and that I should get them within 2 weeks after the new ones. Phew !

Question is: why? why not just send them back with the new ones?

Also, had loads of trouble getting the number to ring them. Found lots of 0871 (std local rate) numbers for information which, when you ring them refer you to another number which, surprise surprise is £1.50 a minute !

Anyways, here's the customer services number that gets you straight through to a real person:

0870 241 1902

Andy

PS - let's hope the old ones turn up !
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

You need to send your old and new passports to the same place you originally got the visas with a covering letter explaining with contact details, email address and phone number etc and include a pre-paid recorded delivery envelope with your details on, so you have to have an envelope weighed with the passports in and then pay the recorded delivery price, put the stamps on it and paperclip the recorded delivery thing to it, filled in and thats it, I just did one of my son's and my partners and got them back in less than a week and you don't need to send any money. Hope that helps:

Visa Evidencing Unit
Migration Bureau
Australian High Commission
The Strand
London
WC2B 4LA

Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

J
Anyways, here's the customer services number that gets you straight through to a real person:

0870 241 1902
Say No to 0870 : http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'd rather say no to £1.50 / min !

Besides, the call was from works phone !
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy
You need to send your old and new passports to the same place you originally got the visas with a covering letter explaining with contact details, email address and phone number etc and include a pre-paid recorded delivery envelope with your details on, so you have to have an envelope weighed with the passports in and then pay the recorded delivery price, put the stamps on it and paperclip the recorded delivery thing to it, filled in and thats it, I just did one of my son's and my partners and got them back in less than a week and you don't need to send any money. Hope that helps:

Visa Evidencing Unit
Migration Bureau
Australian High Commission
The Strand
London
WC2B 4LA

Good luck.
Cheers Poppy.

I guess that's better than taking both the new and old ones to the airport ?
I have heard of people having problems with that ?

Andy