Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport question (new one and renewal of existing ones)

Passport question (new one and renewal of existing ones)

Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:11 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Passport question (new one and renewal of existing ones)

As we now live in Perth, firstly how do we renew our UK passports, and secondly how do we go about getting both an Aus and a UK passport for our son, born 5 months ago (we have lived here for 19 months) Any help much appreciated as usual.

Cheers guys.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport question (new one and renewal of existing ones)

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
As we now live in Perth, firstly how do we renew our UK passports, and secondly how do we go about getting both an Aus and a UK passport for our son, born 5 months ago (we have lived here for 19 months) Any help much appreciated as usual.

Cheers guys.
I would presume the British Consulate in Perth would process the UK passport renewal/application.

Just a word of warning - the UK Passport Office changed the rules regarding passport photos a few months back and over 1/4 of applications are now being rejected because of 'unsuitable' photos - you are not allowed to smile, tilt your head to the side, have the top of your head too close to the top of the photo etc. Many horror stories in the papers of people having to cancel holidays because their passport wasn't issued in time because of a seemingly minor thing with their photo. In Saturday's paper was one man who has had his photo rejected 5 times - they showed the 'rejects' and you wouldn't believe how petty this.

Good luck with the applications though.

OzTennis
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

My passport runs out in Feb and so I have just been looking into the renewing of it, and it can be done by post via http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=79

However, I have been told that my permanent residency visa is not transferred to my new passport?!?!?!? So not sure what needs to be done to get that done yet - yet another way to get more money out of you grrrrrrrr!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

To get your visa into your new passport, take both passports to your local DIMIA office, and they will print a new sticker for you
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:59 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so far, although I am still a bit in the dark, is there nowhere you can actually turn up at with your cash and documents, like somewhere in Joondalup or Perth for example. Can it be done at a post office?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you permanent residents? You need to be PRs or citizens for your child to be Australian.

For an Australian passport - http://www.passports.gov.au

If you are permanent residents it's also very advisable to get a citizenship certificate for your child (as many people think the Australia born children of permanent residents are not citizens). It will save a lot of hassle should passport be lost
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf

Jeremy
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy
However, I have been told that my permanent residency visa is not transferred to my new passport?!?!?!? So not sure what needs to be done to get that done yet - yet another way to get more money out of you grrrrrrrr!
The British authorities cannot transfer Australian visas. DIMIA can give you a new visa label, as long as the visa is not a Resident Return Visa, there is no charge to transfer.

Jeremy
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks so far, although I am still a bit in the dark, is there nowhere you can actually turn up at with your cash and documents, like somewhere in Joondalup or Perth for example. Can it be done at a post office?

At a post office? British passport, no, Australian passport, yes (at least at some post offices).

For a British passport, I think you can submit it in person at the British Consulate in Perth (and they will forward to Canberra) unless the process has changed recently.

Jeremy
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:11 pm
Karma earned, not whored

Originally Posted by JAJ
At a post office? British passport, no, Australian passport, yes (at least at some post offices).

For a British passport, I think you can submit it in person at the British Consulate in Perth (and they will forward to Canberra) unless the process has changed recently.
Jeremy
Thanks for your replies, yes we are on a permanent visa, the actual visa reads; "Class BN resident P<<< Sub class 136"