Reload this Page >

Passport question

Passport question

Old May 3rd 2007, 8:48 am
Just Joined

jennyrobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport question

Hi,

I have a quick question in the hope of getting other peoples understanding as i have asked 2 travel institutions & gotten different answers....

Ok well were moving back to the uk in august & my sons passport expires at the end of august so he will effectivly have 2 weeks left on his british passport when we get home. Is this exceptable to travel on or do we have to have 6 months on there before we travel back to live there? We have been on a work visa for 2 years.We will also be passing through singapore.....

Many thanks in advance for your replys as i am getting quite confused!!!

Jenny....
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice
Default Re: Passport question

yes you will have to have 6 months to travel back as for some reason this is normally wot all airlines will request,might be best to ask either the airlines , auz and singapore as it will be at their final say ,if they do say this is fine to fly,(long shot)ask for some kind of letter etc from them to help you at the airport,we had this problem with my daughter going from uk to spain she had two months left and they said we had to renew it.so we did .hope this helps.

kelsey
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennyrobo
Hi,

I have a quick question in the hope of getting other peoples understanding as i have asked 2 travel institutions & gotten different answers....

Ok well were moving back to the uk in august & my sons passport expires at the end of august so he will effectivly have 2 weeks left on his british passport when we get home. Is this exceptable to travel on or do we have to have 6 months on there before we travel back to live there? We have been on a work visa for 2 years.We will also be passing through singapore.....

Many thanks in advance for your replys as i am getting quite confused!!!

Jenny....
You will need 6 months on your passport for stopover in Singapore. If just transitting you are OK. The Uk and Australia don't insist on this 6 months, BUT 2 weeks left on it is cutting it fine. Imagine things like....one of you gets chicken pox, family has to postpone the flights fot 2 weeks.....he then can't travel because he has no passport.
I'd renew it now to be on the safe side.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:43 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your going to renew it do it now, it taking up to 6 weeks for a passport at the BHC.

kezx
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replys guys....

I have already sent off the application only my boss has put the wrong name on the back of my sons passport photo, he put my married name which is not my sons last name so i am expecting it back!!!

I just thought i might beable to get away with just 2 weeks on it when they send it back as i have only just sent the application off!!! I should have checked it before i sent it!!!

Pollyanna we were going to book a hotel room at the airport will this still be classed as in transit?..

Thanks again

Jenny

Last edited by jennyrobo; May 3rd 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennyrobo
Thanks for your replys guys....

I have already sent off the application only my boss has put the wrong name on the back of my sons passport photo, he put my married name which is not my sons last name so i am expecting it back!!!

I just thought i might beable to get away with just 2 weeks on it when they send it back as i have only just sent the application off!!! I should have checked it before i sent it!!!

Pollyanna we were going to book a hotel room at the airport will this still be classed as in transit?..

Thanks again

Jenny
Probably - if you are staying overnight you will almost certainly be entering Singapore through passport control to the airport - my brother in law is stoppng over night and though he would've had 4 months left on his the travel agent advised him to renew it because of the 6 month rule there.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Would hong kong be the same?