Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport Question????

Passport Question????

Old May 2nd 2004, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Question????

Just a quick question..pretty dumb but here goes......When you're british passport runs out once you are in oz do you have to send it back to uk for renewal or what??....Do you then have to re send it to have visa put in or whats the deal????Mine rund out around 9/10 months after we emigrate......like i said ...dumb question!!!!

cheers!!
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Question????

Originally posted by scottalison6
Just a quick question..pretty dumb but here goes......When you're british passport runs out once you are in oz do you have to send it back to uk for renewal or what??....Do you then have to re send it to have visa put in or whats the deal????Mine rund out around 9/10 months after we emigrate......like i said ...dumb question!!!!

cheers!!
In Oz, you send your old passport, completed forms, photos etc to the British High Commission, in Canberra, to get a new one. If I remember correctly, they then also return your old passport marked as 'void'.

Contact Oz immigration - DIMIA - to see whether you need to provide your old UK passport (with its Oz visa) with your new UK passport to get the latter updated with an Oz visa.
Old May 2nd 2004, 12:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Passport Question????

Originally posted by scottalison6

cheers!!
Heres the website with all info to renew a British Passport at the
British High Commission
Consular Section (Passports and Visas)
39 Brindabella Circuit
Brindabella Business Park, Canberra Airport
CANBERRA ACT 2609

If you phone them, Callers to the information line are charged at a rate of $1.05 cents per minute to listen to recorded information and $2.15 per minute to talk to a consultant !

Best to do it without ringing I think

Old May 2nd 2004, 2:42 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a daft question, in fact a bloody good one. I thought I would have to send my PP back to the UK but now I am enlightened.

Thanks one and all.
Old May 2nd 2004, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

you could send your passport for renewal in UK now, there's a fast track service, and they can put up to 9 extra months onto the 10 years - if it still has time left!

I have just done this, so that when my visa is added I won't have to worry later.
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Renewing a passport before leaving the UK is often a good idea, if it has less than a few years validity.

The UKPS will not deal with British citizens resident abroad. And British diplomatic missions overseas do charge more than UKPS for the same passport.

It's also best to get your new passport *before* DIMIA stamp a visa in it.

DIMIA say they can transfer your visa label into a new passport. Sometimes it's possible - but often it's not (or the best they can do is a hand written visa label).

It's perfectly ok to carry a valid visa in an expired passport, but with the introduction of Advance Passenger Processing, some airlines freak out if your details in the 'system' don't match up to your new passport. Some people have had check-in problems for this reason.

A valid visa in an old passport (plus a new valid passport) is good authority for an airline to board you (or at least for the airline to avoid any fine) - if you come across an airline employee at check-in who doesn't think this is the case, be quite prepared to make a fuss and insist on speaking to a supervisor/manager etc.

Jeremy

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi

you could send your passport for renewal in UK now, there's a fast track service, and they can put up to 9 extra months onto the 10 years - if it still has time left!

I have just done this, so that when my visa is added I won't have to worry later.
Old May 3rd 2004, 9:01 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself and the Mrs send back our passport applications to a relative in the UK who then forwards on the application to the passport service. You do need an active UK credit card or bank account and someone to send you the forms to Oz.

The main reason is the Mrs is British by descent and her father is dead. He aquired British citizenship however the paperwork went missing and she got the first passport. The paperwork is needed for apps in Oz but not in the UK.

I have no idea how to get a copy of the paperwork.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

hongkong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Hi

I am thinking of renewing my passport with a Visa attached, where do you get the necessary forms?

Cheers Neil
Old May 4th 2004, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

good question!!
Old May 4th 2004, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Neil

to renew your passport, pick up a form from your local post office or look at the UKPS website.

Old May 4th 2004, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The website address is www.ukpa.gov.uk!
Old May 4th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Myself and the Mrs send back our passport applications to a relative in the UK who then forwards on the application to the passport service. You do need an active UK credit card or bank account and someone to send you the forms to Oz.

The main reason is the Mrs is British by descent and her father is dead. He aquired British citizenship however the paperwork went missing and she got the first passport. The paperwork is needed for apps in Oz but not in the UK.

I have no idea how to get a copy of the paperwork.
I recently renewed my daughters and paid £30.00 cash at the Post Office (included a checking fee of £5.00) ... no need for cards etc. although I've got them.
Old May 4th 2004, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Neil

to renew your passport, pick up a form from your local post office or look at the UKPS website.

Cheers gdcollectables

Is it just a case of sending my new and old passport to Australia house to get the VISA transfered to the new one?

Thanks

Neil

Last edited by hongkong; May 4th 2004 at 7:33 pm.
Old May 5th 2004, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Neil

not sure about that - try looking at this other thread, New passport - Old visa!

Or try sending an email to DIMIA, you'll find their contact details on www.immi.gov.au

Or if you are in the UK - the London phone number for enquiries: 020 7379 4334 between 2-4pm Mon-Fri.

Good Luck
Old May 5th 2004, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi Neil

not sure about that - try looking at this other thread, New passport - Old visa!

Or try sending an email to DIMIA, you'll find their contact details on www.immi.gov.au

Or if you are in the UK - the London phone number for enquiries: 020 7379 4334 between 2-4pm Mon-Fri.

Good Luck
Hi gdcollectables

Thanks for your help

Neil