Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport expiration

Passport expiration

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

matt k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport expiration

We are going to Perth next July and our daughter's passport (which contains her visa) runs out in January 2005, does anyone know what we will have to do once that passport expires? - we will be in Oz by then.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:56 pm
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point

Call your nearest passport office (or email) they'll advise best course of action.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:56 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: Passport expiration

Originally posted by matt k
We are going to Perth next July and our daughter's passport (which contains her visa) runs out in January 2005, does anyone know what we will have to do once that passport expires? - we will be in Oz by then.
I presume your daughter's passport is British. Australia changed the law to permit dual citizenship a year or two ago. (I have posted separately a while back of my experience in losing my Australian citizenship when applying for British citizenship back in the 80's - law changed while my application was being processed - but I got it back 6 years later after a huge fight).

I am not an expert on this but my feeling is that you can renew your daughter's (British) passport in Jan 2005 and she can also apply for Oz citizenship some time after that when she qualifies - 2 years residency (?) but I might be wrong. I don't know whether the visa is transferred from the old passport to the new or whether you just present both on re-entering Oz but surely passport expiring doesn't invalidate the visa included in it.

I'll leave it to the real experts on the forum but that is just my feeling for what it's worth.

Good luck in WA - you'll be known as a sandgroper by easterners such as me!

TennisOz

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Passport expiration

Originally posted by matt k
You keep the old passport with the visa in it and present both when entering the country - just got my visa inserted and it said that in the letter that came with it. How you renew a UK passport from Australia though is anyone's guess !!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

matt k is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Passport Expiration

Thanks for your replies, that's exactly what we needed to know !