Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which passport????

which passport????

Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

keza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which passport????

i got my citizenship by descent last yr and now have a aussie passport as well as my uk one, were going to validate my husbands and sons visas in october, well do i use my aussie passport to go to aus and my uk passport to return or do i only use the aussie one?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: which passport????

Originally Posted by keza
i got my citizenship by descent last yr and now have a aussie passport as well as my uk one, were going to validate my husbands and sons visas in october, well do i use my aussie passport to go to aus and my uk passport to return or do i only use the aussie one?

THE BLUE ONE OR SHOULD I SAY THE TRUE BLUE ONE
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You can travel on both but you must enter Australia on your Australian Passport since you don't have a visa and its required by immigration law anyhow.

You can enter the UK on your UK passport or Australian, it matters not really just the practicality of lining up in whichever queue since you get a visa on arrival. But with implementation of the thorough checking of EU passports at LHR which wasn't really about a few years ago, often the queue for non EU citizens is shorter.

I personally let me UK passport expire and just use my Australian one now.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:26 pm
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
You can travel on both but you must enter Australia on your Australian Passport since you don't have a visa and its required by immigration law anyhow.

You can enter the UK on your UK passport or Australian, it matters not really just the practicality of lining up in whichever queue since you get a visa on arrival. But with implementation of the thorough checking of EU passports at LHR which wasn't really about a few years ago, often the queue for non EU citizens is shorter.

I personally let me UK passport expire and just use my Australian one now.
Spot on.

Australia requires by law that you enter Australia on an Australian passport if you hold one, irrespective of what other passport you hold.

The UK doesnt require this explicitly. The only issue with going back to the UK in your case is that this trip is just a validation trip and you are heading back to the UK so better to use the UK one back in the UK otherwise you will be entering the UK on an Aussie passport and be given a visitors visa. Should your stay back in the UK exceed the time given on that visa you are an illegal in the UK. Also in you use the UK passport next time you leave the UK you will an an Aussie passport with a UK entry stamp but not an exit stamp. Could all get messy in the future;

UK to Aus : Aus passport
Aus to UK : leave on your Aus passport and use the UK back in London on arrival
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jce
Spot on.

Australia requires by law that you enter Australia on an Australian passport if you hold one, irrespective of what other passport you hold.
No such law, actually.

The issue in Australia is that any non-citizen requires a visa and it is (legally) impossible for an Australian citizen to have one.

In limited circumstances an Australian Declaratory Visa to facilitate travel on a non-Australian passport. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/931.pdf
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jce
Spot on.

The UK doesnt require this explicitly. The only issue with going back to the UK in your case is that this trip is just a validation trip and you are heading back to the UK so better to use the UK one back in the UK otherwise you will be entering the UK on an Aussie passport and be given a visitors visa. Should your stay back in the UK exceed the time given on that visa you are an illegal in the UK. Also in you use the UK passport next time you leave the UK you will an an Aussie passport with a UK entry stamp but not an exit stamp. Could all get messy in the future;

UK to Aus : Aus passport
Aus to UK : leave on your Aus passport and use the UK back in London on arrival
Spot on
I wont have the problem the uk one will be tossed back to the uk passport office , thay can give my speck to some poor estonia european if he can
hack the people who are experts on sweet FA In the crime ridden s--t hole
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:22 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotton
Spot on
I wont have the problem the uk one will be tossed back to the uk passport office , thay can give my speck to some poor estonia european if he can
No its OK - they already gave your spot away to a Polish family.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:10 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Spot on
Its as well your going to a country with no immigrants then...
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on
Originally Posted by harrip
...and no crime.......
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Sorry i think you will find your wrong Australia was built on, immigration
If you are thinking of relocating you will in fact become one

I have no problems with people entering my country

Last edited by Hotton; Jul 28th 2008 at 9:07 am.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

Sorry i think you will find your wrong Australia was built on, immigration
If you are thinking of relocating you will in fact become one

I have no problems with people entering my country

What was that that just went over Hottons head?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inglewhite
What was that that just went over Hottons head?

I think (harrips ) fancies himself as David Baddiel three lions on your shirt
fame i think the google pick speaks for it self