passport???

Old Jun 10th 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default passport???

Hi all

I have our eldest daughter on my passport it expires 2005, should i apply now for seperate ones or wait until it expires.

cheers for any info.

Karen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

hi
i had all my 3 children on my passport. I decided to get new ones for us all prior to being granted our visas. I just informed imigration office of all the new passport numbers by fax (then confirmed by post !).
Like you i was unsure what to do, but at least now we all have visa's in our own passports so shouldnt have any problems returning to england/australia in the future.
wendy
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Wendy,

I'll get on with that right away.

Cheers
Karen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: passport???

Originally posted by karen and andy
Hi all

I have our eldest daughter on my passport it expires 2005, should i apply now for seperate ones or wait until it expires.

cheers for any info.

Karen
You can always get one via the British Embassy in OZ (or NZ). I seem to remember quoting the passport numbers on the application form. The visas are granted against specific passport numbers and if you renew a passport it WILL be given a new passport number so may complicate issues.

Thats my view anyway.

Good luck

Terry
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:58 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

my current passport expires in 2006 and as im traveling to perth in march next year it will only have a couple of years left on it. so i have just applied for a new one under the renew section of the application form. it has cost me £33. i could of used my current one but decided to update it as i have changed loads since i was 18 plus i wanted to take a full 10 year one out there with me. so as soon as i get my new one back i will send it off to oz house for my stamp.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Terry

Very good point .
Oh dear i think i'll have to phone DIMIA in the morning to ask their advice and maybe i could be cheeky and ask for a progress report.

cheers

karen
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karen and andy
Thanks Terry

Very good point .
Oh dear i think i'll have to phone DIMIA in the morning to ask their advice and maybe i could be cheeky and ask for a progress report.

cheers

karen
Hi Karen

Will you let us know what DIMIA say as I think quite a few people will be in the same boat

Thanks

Terry

Old Jun 12th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all

Phoned DIMIA this morning and they said that you can renew your passport and get a seperate one for child, as long as they are certified and forwarded to them.
But you don't have to and you can wait until your passport expires and renew when in oz/nz.

Tried the cheeky can i have an update on our visa application but unfortunately we were landed with a jobsworth, oh well we shall wait for the snail mail.

Cheers

Karen and Andy
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

im like denhim
kids passports expire next year,we have just had medicals and im wondering whether to send off for new ones before we get visa put in so they can get it put in the new one.?Does this mean we will have to inform DIMIA of a change?the kids are not coming off ours just getting them renewed.
thanks
donna
Old Jun 13th 2003, 3:12 pm
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by donna
im like denhim
kids passports expire next year,we have just had medicals and im wondering whether to send off for new ones before we get visa put in so they can get it put in the new one.?Does this mean we will have to inform DIMIA of a change?the kids are not coming off ours just getting them renewed.
thanks
donna
I renewed my passport after medicals, just before pre-grant letter. The pre-grant letter had a form to update DIMIA of any changes. Just gave them new passport numbers. Hey presto Visas on its way. No problems.

If you've any time left on your passport when renewing, the passport office give you extra time on new one (up to nine months)
Old Jun 13th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by donna
im like denhim
thanks
donna
Hi Donna,

If you apply for a renewal of a passport that includes children, children are automatically removed, children must now have their own passports unless they are still on an unexpired adult passport. I had my passport renewed because it expires in September, I had to apply for the childrens passports at the same time and we also had to send my hubbies passport in to have the children removed from his passport.

We just sent new certified copies of all the passports to our agent who forwarded them on to DIMIA.

I have heard that British passport renewals etc cost more in Oz and take longer, so it may be better to have them done here. Also that way your visas are placed in your new passports.

HTH,
Hazel.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:03 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The day before I had our visas put in our passports - I had my passport and the kids renewed..new numbers etc!?

Went to the Strand ...visas put ok, so by all means renew information about numbers etc, but it is not the end of the world if it happens up near to the date. Can anyone tell a tale when it was difficult?

Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2003, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely get your passports renewed in the UK. Yes, you can renew them at the British High Commission in Canberra / Wellington, However! it costs nearly DOUBLE the cost of renewing it in the UK. More importantly, passports issued by UK embassies overseas are usually not machine readable.

So what? you may think....well the good old paranoid USA is changing it's regulations - as of 1st October 2003 anyone who visits the USA Must have a machine readable passport. This means that if you didn't renew your passport and renewed it in OZ/NZ (and was issued a non machine readable pasport) you could later run into problems if you ever travelled to or transited the US.

It's a bit long winded but here it is in black & white from the US state Department:

What Do I Need to Enter the United States on the VWP?

Have a valid passport issued by the participating country. Additionally, starting October 1, 2003, the passport presented at the U.S. port of entry must be a machine readable passport;

http://travel.state.gov/vwp.html#6

All the best

Russ
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the prompt responses,i will get new ones ASAP
donna