Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passing the medical and being overweight

Passing the medical and being overweight

Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Theres so much truth in this thread its scary!

Not even sure really where to start .... I dont think I will, or I may not stop .
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Gwan, gwan, gwan...let it all out... you'll feel sooooooooo much better
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:03 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Gwan, gwan, gwan...let it all out... you'll feel sooooooooo much better
Maybe when I get home, the kids have a birthday party to go to & Im going to spend some quality time with my husband . (who also by the way falls into this category
a fit-looking, cultured, intelligent well dressed man
so I dont need gay male friends ).
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:05 am
Hippy chick

Elspeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Well i am 5ft11in tall and weighed about 13stone when i had my medical and i passed, dunno how ow you are but if you feel you need to lose weight best bet is to see your doctor. or is there some medical reason you cant lose weight... actually i should have read all the replies before i posted this or imight just be repeating what someone else put
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Elspeth,

I dont feel that being 5ft 11 and 13stone is really overweight at all!!... i am 5ft 8 and when i was a competitive swimmer in my teens i could easily get away with 11 stone.

I have given up asking doctors to help. All they do is shove a diet sheet in your hand and tell you to go away and get on with it!!!!!!
Would they do that to an alcoholic?...

"oh yes sir/madam, we can help you...heres a sheet telling you what you must not drink, oh, and BTW...STAY OUT OF PUBS!"

I'm sure that would work well huh?....not

Its a mind problem, NOT a food problem.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:14 am
Hippy chick

Elspeth is an unknown quantity at this point

well ive put on a 'couple' of stone since then and i know what you meant.. its not easy....i had always had a food problem, iknow it. its just not easy to control it. *shrug* truly hope you get a pass on your medical tho!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Elspeth
well ive put on a 'couple' of stone since then and i know what you meant.. its not easy....i had always had a food problem, iknow it. its just not easy to control it. *shrug* truly hope you get a pass on your medical tho!
Thanx Elspeth...good luck to you too...
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:29 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Maybe when I get home, the kids have a birthday party to go to & Im going to spend some quality time with my husband . (who also by the way falls into this category
so I dont need gay male friends ).
Yeah, Mr Anya4oz looks pretty dam' good in a tight white T-shirt too

Anya.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ooooooh white shirts!!1...stop it...i'm coming over all queer (as my great aunt used to say)
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yeah, Mr Anya4oz looks pretty dam' good in a tight white T-shirt too

Anya.
Dagboy looks good in just about anything!

(including a skirt )
Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thankyou Anya..at last someone who relates!!!!!...i come under the diabetic banner... I know exactly what you mean about wearing a placard. I used to be a trim size 12 and was a county swimmer in my teens. I was always invited to parties, enjoyed myself and lived life to the full... all of a sudden, once the weight piled on, the builders vans dont beep at you anymore (not that i miss it to be honest), male shopkeepers behave as if you are not there, men snigger and poke fun, (and god forbid if you dared to speak to them they'd die of embarrassment) I have to be fair though, i met a female yesterday who couldnt maintain eye contact when speaking to me, and rudely talked over me as if i werent there. Very sad...

Now....... what has changed to make me deserve this treatment??...my body shape is different ... My brain is the same, my heart feels the same, all that is different is my size... anyone would think i was a bloody serial killer the way some people behave!!!

phewwwwwwwww...i feel much better now i got that off my rather ample chest... carry on...as you were

If you can believe this over here a size 12 is in the Shop for Larger Ladies.......:scared: every one is weight mad......
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeannie
If you can believe this over here a size 12 is in the Shop for Larger Ladies.......:scared: every one is weight mad......
yep I can believe it, My daughter is a size 10 and enjoys shopping in uk, but told me last week she hated going into shops in Singapore because she felt fat!(we used to live there) it was fine if you were a size 6 or 8! I'm size 16+ and I could almost never buy off the peg there .(thank goodness for cheap tailors)

I 've just read the whole thread and started thinking I'd better start that diet seriously tomorrow, would hate to be turned down because of a few extra kilos!

Yes I also saw the Victoria wood on fat programme. Very good - she has a great way of giving facts in a funny way!
I lost 4kg while in Oz in November I felt so happy there, I didn't nibble at snacks etc .... had christmas, new yr and its gone back on aarrgggghhhhh not fair, can't wait to get to OZ :-))
Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:51 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

This is the Big And Brilliant With It Thread!!!

I am not massively overweight ( prob could do with losing half a stone and a bit of serious toning) but I do know (some) of what you larger ladies must feel as I feel HUGE compared to some of these toned, flat stomached excuses for proper women you see about the place.

I think you are all bloody great and I wish I could meet you all in the flesh - every last pound of it!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:07 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Victoria Wood promoting diets on BBC and then Chocolate on ITV, listen to the voice doing the Cadburys ad during Corrie.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Hi,

When I had my medical the Doctor told me that statistically I was slightly overweight. I'm 34, 5 foot 9" tall and weigh Just over 11 stone. I'm by no means overweight but I had to listen to this Doctor who was same height as me but twice the size telling me I was. I just laughed at him and told him to take a good look at me and not what statistics tell him. Anyway, my point, I only believe weight to be a real problem if you are unfit. There are many people who go to my gym who on the surface look overweight but can certainly do a range of routines in an hour. There are many many people who appear skinny but are seriously out of shape. They are lucky to be gifted with a fast metabolism which doesn't in any way make them any fitter than someone who weighs more than them and therefore doesn't make them any less susceptible to health issues.

Adrian