Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passed TRA but what Job should I do.

Passed TRA but what Job should I do.

Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Passed TRA but what Job should I do.

Hi guys, been a long long time, and also took a long time to get the TRA sorted. But with a HUGE amount of help from John Nye and Debs I passed it a few months ago.

I have all the paper work sorted for the next stage, I am just waiting on my Police clearance, which will be fine as I have just been SC cleared for my new job.

Right, I know I don't have to work as a Joiner out in Perth, but I probably will have to start off with. I have just taken on a Temporary contract as a Service Manager for a telecoms company, they have said they would happily try and move me to their offices in Sydney. But, I really want to live in Perth and they have no offices there.

I have had a good look on seek.com.au and can find no, or very few jobs for joiners or shopfitters, But loads in Service Management.

Another thing I hope some one can answer is, whats the car modifying scene like in australia ? I make a lot of custom parts at home as a sort of hobby, I have laithes and and a milling machine, and almost every other tool you can think off. None of which I would be taking with me, so will start from scratch out there.

I would like to do this as either a permanent job or a business, infact doing this sort of work as a permanent job would be amazing.

I don't have any training or qualifications I am self taught in eveything to do with cars, the same goes with joinery. But I do have ITIL and Prince 2 qualifications for Service Management, as well as a Business objects 6.5 certificate.

I am torn as to what I can do, or what would be best for me to do. Any one in any of these industries got any to say about their job I would appreciate it.

Cheers guys,

Phil,
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

legion11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Passed TRA but what Job should I do.

Originally Posted by philnorris

I would like to do this as either a permanent job or a business, infact doing this sort of work as a permanent job would be amazing.

Phil,
HONEST M8 i do that for a living & standing in front of a lathe or miller for 8 hours a day ain't amazing...

but i know that if you are a time served joiner you can enquire at college about doing a NVQ in mechanical engineering & because you served an apprenticeship already your allowed to do this apparently.

not sure if you will have time to do this or not though.
no harm in giving them a bell & asking.....
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Hi,

I don't have the answers you are looking for but wanted to say we also used John Nye who got my OH through TRA (
2nd time round - after we had sacked our previous agent!!! ). He is the best, isn't he? Did he visit you on his October 06 trip to UK. The poor bloke came to us straight from the airport at 10.30pm and didn't get to bed until 2.30am when we had finished off all the paperwork to sent off to Debs a few days later.

We are November applicants and hopefully will be out in Perth this summer. We owe him a very big drink on our arrival!!

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Regards

Carol
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Hi There,

I first met John when i was in Mandurah last xmas, he is a really cool guy, I cant remember when he came over, I think it was the middle of 2006. I met him on the M6 in the UK some where, I cant remember where now I was dog tired, I had been doing 18 hour days.

As for John himself I am totally lost for words, such an amazing guy and so helpfull. I wish there where a few more people like him around. I don't think I could ever do enough to thank him for all his help. I will try my best though.

I should have the rest of my paper work sent off pretty soon, the quicker I get out there the better. I have had such a stresful time over the last 3 years in the uk I just want a fresh start. I have no family left in the uk, and my closest friends, after 18 years, have decided they want nothing to do with me any more as I am moving away. nice eh.

I am very scared at the prospect of looking for work though, I have never had a full time job to speak of, i have always contracted around. The longest I have ever been out of work is 6 weeks and it was hell.

Lol what are you guys planning on doing for work when you arrive.

Originally Posted by cartel
Hi,

I don't have the answers you are looking for but wanted to say we also used John Nye who got my OH through TRA (
2nd time round - after we had sacked our previous agent!!! ). He is the best, isn't he? Did he visit you on his October 06 trip to UK. The poor bloke came to us straight from the airport at 10.30pm and didn't get to bed until 2.30am when we had finished off all the paperwork to sent off to Debs a few days later.

We are November applicants and hopefully will be out in Perth this summer. We owe him a very big drink on our arrival!!

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Regards

Carol
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi mate, I know what you mean, I wouldn't like to concentrate on that aspect of the work, I would also like to do more In Car Entertainment installs and maybe diagnostics etc, I am also pretty good at Using Holden/Vauxhalls Tech2 diagnostic equipment.
I have Tech2, dont ask where I got it, and also loads of other diagnostic gear for my laptop.
Decisions decisions, I think I better just wait and see what comes up when I get there.

Phil,

Originally Posted by legion11
HONEST M8 i do that for a living & standing in front of a lathe or miller for 8 hours a day ain't amazing...

but i know that if you are a time served joiner you can enquire at college about doing a NVQ in mechanical engineering & because you served an apprenticeship already your allowed to do this apparently.

not sure if you will have time to do this or not though.
no harm in giving them a bell & asking.....
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Originally Posted by philnorris
Hi There,

I first met John when i was in Mandurah last xmas, he is a really cool guy, I cant remember when he came over, I think it was the middle of 2006. I met him on the M6 in the UK some where, I cant remember where now I was dog tired, I had been doing 18 hour days.

As for John himself I am totally lost for words, such an amazing guy and so helpfull. I wish there where a few more people like him around. I don't think I could ever do enough to thank him for all his help. I will try my best though.

I should have the rest of my paper work sent off pretty soon, the quicker I get out there the better. I have had such a stresful time over the last 3 years in the uk I just want a fresh start. I have no family left in the uk, and my closest friends, after 18 years, have decided they want nothing to do with me any more as I am moving away. nice eh.

I am very scared at the prospect of looking for work though, I have never had a full time job to speak of, i have always contracted around. The longest I have ever been out of work is 6 weeks and it was hell.

Lol what are you guys planning on doing for work when you arrive.
OH has a job offer on the mines up around Port Hedland when we arrive. Friends of ours flew over early December 06 and has started working there (he is also a diesel fitter and they worked together for Tesco's here on their fleet of HGV's and trailers). So that's the plan so far. The extra $$$ should give us a chance of accomplishing the house of our dreams and maybe and investment property to retire on later. Kids are 5 and 4 and his rota will be 8 on, 6 off, so not too bad. He has worked shifts always so it won't necessarily be a major adjustment (I will just have to deal with the spiders and snakes myself when he is away ). Anyway, we can but try. I, of course, will take a few months off to settle the kids and then try a find part time work to fit in around their schooling.

So I take it you are going over alone? Big step. Do you know anyone?

Chat soon

Carol
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi there, I am going over with my partner, we have a little extra to do in proving that we are a couple as we aren't actually married.

I am sure she will get a job no problem, we have seen loads advertised that would suit her down to the ground. Plus she is good at selling herself, where I am not lol. Some thing I need to work on.

Originally Posted by cartel
OH has a job offer on the mines up around Port Hedland when we arrive. Friends of ours flew over early December 06 and has started working there (he is also a diesel fitter and they worked together for Tesco's here on their fleet of HGV's and trailers). So that's the plan so far. The extra $$$ should give us a chance of accomplishing the house of our dreams and maybe and investment property to retire on later. Kids are 5 and 4 and his rota will be 8 on, 6 off, so not too bad. He has worked shifts always so it won't necessarily be a major adjustment (I will just have to deal with the spiders and snakes myself when he is away ). Anyway, we can but try. I, of course, will take a few months off to settle the kids and then try a find part time work to fit in around their schooling.

So I take it you are going over alone? Big step. Do you know anyone?

Chat soon

Carol