Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

passed my driving theory test today

passed my driving theory test today

Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road
Default passed my driving theory test today

yep my wife and i passed our driving theory tests today i got 29-30 and my wife go 29 as well

as my wife has only held her driving licence for 6 months she has got to show P plates on the car for 1 and a half years

i payed $150 for a 5 year licence and my wife could only get a 1 year licence and had to pay $78

but its done now so thank god for that
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: passed my driving theory test today

Originally posted by bussie
yep my wife and i passed our driving theory tests today i got 29-30 and my wife go 29 as well

as my wife has only held her driving licence for 6 months she has got to show P plates on the car for 1 and a half years

i payed $150 for a 5 year licence and my wife could only get a 1 year licence and had to pay $78

Well done. Were there many gotchas? NSW only offers you a 1 or 3 year license unless you have continously held a full license for at least 5 years.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean to tell me that your British licence isn't valid in Aus and they make you sit a patronising test????

*ashamed once again*
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AussieinLondon
Do you mean to tell me that your British licence isn't valid in Aus and they make you sit a patronising test????

*ashamed once again*
UK licence is valid but as a permanent resident you should get an Aussie one. You get cheaper car insurance if you've got an Aussie licence as well. Plus the fact that it doubles up as good ID.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
UK licence is valid but as a permanent resident you should get an Aussie one. You get cheaper car insurance if you've got an Aussie licence as well. Plus the fact that it doubles up as good ID.
Interesting. If you do the Aus-UK move, your Aus licence is valid for a while and then you just convert to a British one, no questions asked. There's certainly no test.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Congratulations
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations have one of these to celebrate
but not if you thinking of going out in the car for a drive
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

Hello bussie

congrats on the theory, I tired on oneline and only got 24 :-(

Do you have to do the theory and a proper practical test in the car too?

It took me 4 goes to get mine in UK, and I've picked up bad habits in the 11 years since then, maybe I'll take some lessons before we go :-)

I read that you have 3 months to get a Oz licence is that correct?

V
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:32 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by vickymills
Hello bussie

It took me 4 goes to get mine in UK, and I've picked up bad habits in the 11 years since then, maybe I'll take some lessons before we go :-)

V
hi V,

yeah thats correct, you have 3 months to get a ozzie licence and depending on which state you go, will depend whether you have to sit just a theory exam, like in QLD or a theory and a practical test like in SA.

hope this helps.

kev
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the practical test in SA had been abolished to bring them in line with the rest of Oz. Only the theory test to do... we hope!!

Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:38 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by vickymills
Hello bussie

V
In Qld you no longer have to do the practical test - just the theory. You have three months grace to use your UK licence after you become a permanent resident. I think that rule is for people coming interstate too though I know people ignore it.
At least one PR on here said they still use their UK licence. That is fine till you are involved in an accident and discover that your insurance is invalid because you do not have a valid licence.
There is more info available on the Queensland Transport website
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:47 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DagBoy
In Qld you no longer have to do the practical test - just the theory. You have three months grace to use your UK licence after you become a permanent resident. I think that rule is for people coming interstate too though I know people ignore it.
At least one PR on here said they still use their UK licence. That is fine till you are involved in an accident and discover that your insurance is invalid because you do not have a valid licence.
There is more info available on the Queensland Transport website
So that means.....as a spouse visa holder, which is provisional resident, i don't have to do a test until i get my PR? Excellent
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Congratulations to you and your wife,
great news,
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats..

what did you do to prepare for the test ? Can you recommend any books / websites .. I will be sitting WA theory test in January / February
Old Nov 19th 2003, 6:05 pm
Badge

get the WA Road Traffic Authority book free off the counter - study it for 10 mins in the office before you take the exam! Similar to ours really.

I passed by applying common sense, and the only ones I got wrong were the "give way" bits - which DO differ in Australia.

hmmm..probably the most important ones, eh? But a pass is a pass...

I got a 1 year Aussie license, in aus, which has now expired : do I just pay another fee to renew it? No more tests, written or practical now I guess?

Badge

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.